"Do NOT go beyond the things written (but we can)."

by TimothyT 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinlimbo
    stuckinlimbo

Just had a thought about this line

Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave.

(from my fav book again):

No pigs will sleep in a bed, WITH SHEETS

Similar issue methinks...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes, and I have known some JWs who really were borderline gluttons.

I'm sure they really just had a medical glandular problem and did not really eat any more that you!

• VM44
    VM44
    Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave.

"The faithful and discreet slave" as a whole has produced NO publications at all!

The Watchtower Governing Body, however, does author and have published material by The Watchotwer Publishing Corporation.

The Watchtower magazine often uses the terms FDS and GB interchangeably, as if they are two names for the same group, they are not.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

IMHO the NWT has already gone 'beyond' the Bible!

The publications go even way further than 'beyond' the Bible!

So perhaps in their cult groupthink the above statement is true!

• man in black
    man in black

marked for future reading.

Thanks for all of the comments, great stuff !

• just a reader
    just a reader

They completely ignore Ecclesiastes 12:12 which basically tells us the scriptures are all we need and warns of anything beyond the scriptures.

"Be warned my son of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body."

• DavinciCodeBreaker
    DavinciCodeBreaker

It reminds me of the "Inquisition" as found in Ray Franz book, CoC where the elder told Ray, "the Watchtower is our authority". It is pretty sad when you can prove your position scripturally to an elder but if a WT article contradicts the scriptures they will lean towards the WT.

Very shameful!

• mrquik
    mrquik

You have to wonder where is the Holy Spirit in all of this. As the one true channel for God, where was the Holy Spirit as they wrote one thing only to change their minds? Was it on vacation? Maybe it decided to deceive them to test their loyalty. Doesn't sound like an organization marked by love does it? This so smacks of the way the scribes & pharisees kept the rank & file in line. JC really thought those guys were as low as pond scum. Looks like the GB has been reading their play book. They should have read farther. Things did not turn out well for them.

• satinka
    satinka

If we never went beyond what was written, there would be no growth.

But the elders use that scripture to keep sheeple in the jw box.

Oh yeah, the WT does not want anyone to grow. That's what the the practice of shunning is all about, I guess.

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit