"Do NOT go beyond the things written (but we can)."

by TimothyT 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hi everyone!

I was doing some research yesterday on this scripture: 1 Corinthians 4:6!
    "Now, brothers, these things I have transferred so as to apply to myself and A?pol′los for YOUR good, that in our case YOU may learn the [rule]: “Do not go beyond the things that are written,” in order that YOU may not be puffed up individually in favor of the one against the other."

Read this from the Watchtower 2008, April 15th, page 7:

When it comes to valueless words, elders too learn an important lesson. Whenever they are called upon to give counsel, they bear in mind their limitations and do not presume to offer counsel solely from their own personal store of knowledge. They should always point to what the Bible says. A sound rule is found in the words of the apostle Paul: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.” (1 Cor. 4:6) Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave.

I laughed when i read this! DO NOT GO BEYOND the bible... then in the very next paragraph they are saying, IN EXTENSION listen to the WS publications! Isnt the word extension a synonym for going beyond??? How very odd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont go beyond the bible, but you can listen to the things we have written beyond the bible!!! Its very contradictory and makes no sense!
    What do you all think?

Tim :)

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Elders do not go beyond the things that are written in the Bible. And by extension, they do not go beyond the Bible-based counsel written in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave.

Classic!!! LOL

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I always maintained there was no scriptural precedent for Pioneers™. There is, however, scriptural backing for beards.

W

• rocketman
    rocketman

The obvious problem is that the publications delve into issues that the Bible does not. Like the Pharisees, the WTS adds to the Bible and creates its own "teachings of men". This is part of the problem I have with "Bible principles". To me, citing them opens up the possibility that the Bible will now be used to counsel on situations that it does not cover.

In essence, the counsel to the Elders not to offer off-the-cuff answers is sound. The problem is that the elders are not limited to using the scriptures.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

LOL, truth be told, their religion is extra-biblical. In fact every doctrine which is unique and original to Jehovah's Witnesses goes beyond what is written.

This includes the entire foundation of WTS authority; their shifting eschatology, their unique requirements for Christian baptism and their unique grounds for disfellowship and man-made commandments.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The problem is that the GB, or elders for that matter, can always find some vague scripture to support their postion. Historical context means nothing, just being able to prove to the rank and file that what they're saying is supported by scripture.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TIMOTHY T:

This is the very thing the religion is famous for: going beyond what is written. All their stupid rules, customs and silly labels aren't in the bible but are their invention. So, of course, they have gone beyond what is written and they just love to insult everybody's intelligence.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The problem is that the GB, or elders for that matter, can always find some vague scripture to support their postion. Historical context means nothing, just being able to prove to the rank and file that what they're saying is supported by scripture.

Smoking would be a perfect example - talk about taking a vague scripture completely out of context. Tobacco is neither medical drugs nor is it demonism. Nor does "the body is a tabernacle" make any sense - everybody (yes, everybody) does things in everyday life that could potentially harm the body. This includes fast food, living in city pollution, riding motorcycles, and so on. But, somebody in Brooklyn just simply decided that they did not like smoking - and decreed that you can be DFd for smoking or growing tobacco.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Gluttony is condemned and I have yet to see someone disfellowshipped for that.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Gluttony is condemned and I have yet to see someone disfellowshipped for that.

Yes, and I have known some JWs who really were borderline gluttons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit