I sued the local congregation

by chukky 594 97 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I don't think the local congregation would pay anything out of pocket - they probably have an insurance policy (and I bet the WTS requires they hold one) that protects against incurring any out-of-pocket expenses. After all, whos to say that a non-witness visitor doesn't accidentally slip on the driveway outside and crack his/her head open? Witnesses aren't allow to sue other witnesses, but in this situation, its entirely possible to get sued, and the WTS is usually pretty good about covering all their bases financially. You may have received some money, but I don't think it was the money of the local congregation or the WTS. I'm not saying it wasn't worth it, though. If this accident cost a lot of money, then it was good you were able to recover at least some of your costs. That's what insurance is for, after all.

MeanMrMustard

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I can't even to begin to imagine what it must be like to live in such a litigious country as the U.S.A.

You guys must be utterly terrified of doing anything that might make you liable for an accident, now or in the future.

How does your court system cope ??

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

If the story is true, good for you Chuckky. Money would come out of wts as kh fund would probably pay for it and not the people there anyways. Someone can enlighten me on this but don't khs have wts insurance as it's all internal and no outside insurance is bought? Anyways, wasn't there a story where dubs were preaching to someone and one of them slipped on the property and they sued the owner of the property they were trespassing???? How much money has wts squeezed out of all of us over the years? So if someone realized wts is a fraud and about to leave and they sue their kh for some incident that has occurred within the statute of limitation, all the power to them.

• LV101
    LV101

I think the congregation is totally irresponsible doing their show business w/cords --- who leaves cords running around the aisles for people to trip over --- oh, let me think, the world's biggest publishing house. Shows how stupid/uncaring they are. I know witnesses who've been in traffic accidents unharmed, without a scratch, who sue for anything they can get w/the excuse they've been ripped off w/insurance fees for years who would never dream of suing the w/tower real estate co. for negligence for fear of acceptance. Idiots should be forced to protect children NOT ONLY FROM THE PEDOPHILES but from danger inside their bunkers.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    How does your court system cope ??

I think most claims are settled out of court. Mine was, and it still took 2 years to settle.

W

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with the decision to sue them too. All power to you! Wish we could all find grounds to do it and they would shut up shop overnight.

• TD
    TD
    Damages are discounted by her amount of fault.
    Interesting.

I believe BOTR is talking about blameworthiness and outcome severity theory. In other words, even though the negligence of another party is the root cause of the accident, the victim can render the outcome many times more severe through their own negligence then it would otherwise have been.

A pedestrian walking in a desginated isle is not demonstrating negligence by failing to negotiate a hazard inasmuch as an unobstructed walkway is the whole purpose of an isle.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I believe BOTR is talking about blameworthiness and outcome severity theory. In other words, even though the negligence of another party is the root cause of the accident, the victim can render the outcome many times more severe through their own negligence then it would otherwise have been.

A pedestrian walking in a desginated isle is not demonstrating negligence by failing to negotiate a hazard inasmuch as an unobstructed walkway is the whole purpose of an isle.

But what about her running across the isle to sit with someone else, and she's not paying attention and gets balled up? I'm all for bringing the WT down, but this whole thread just left a bad taste in my mouth. Had she remained......nope, I'm not gonna say it.....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This is an organization that uses people mercilessly, their time, their labour, their contributions, yet feels no compunction about throwing out bethelites on their ear or failing to care for fulltime servants in old age or ill health or covering over abuse and resisting admitting liability for serious harm caused by elders. They exploit every law going to reduce their obligations to the people they presume to call sheep in their flock. Sure this person would not have sued the Watchtower if they had remained in the organization. So what? If the law allows them to claw a little back because of this incident then all power to them.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

They used you for years. I'm not big on sue for accidents BUT I suport what you did 100%! Good for you your daughter deserves ever penny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit