I sued the local congregation

by chukky 594 97 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I don't like the quick to sue, either, and perhaps the motives left something wanting... BUT... the elders did lie instead of stepping up to their part of the legal responsibility too. So...

So he says. The same person who's willing to sue over his kid's own clumsiness, and his lack of supervision. There's two sides to every story, and the very fact that he wanted to sue, especially several years after the fact, says something to me about his own personal ethics. I'd like to see something legitimate on paper before declaring guilt on that elder body.

In either case, I pace and mutter to myself when something gets to me. I would go for a walk ( a speed walk!) but its been -20 here for a while, and well, I rarely get THAT upset ;)

Tammy

This thread ticked me off. After the pushups, I watched a short film on AMC that I enjoyed. The Red Balloon, about a baloon that befriends a child. I can't believe I'm about to type this, but its a fitting description....it was cute. It warmed my heart for a brief moment. Then I logged back into JWN and looked at this thread again!

• Giordano
    Giordano
    I'll be honest with you, this thread ticked me off. I did pushups off the couch to blow off a little steam.

I was ticked off too and went to the community lap pool to blow off some steam of my own, got to thinking about this thread so hard that I almost drowned myself...........and I was in the shallow end!

I'm done as well but I am man enough to admit that I'll put my hand over my eyes and spread my fingers and take a peek from time to time. With the exception of one poster, not MLE, all of the opinions and facts expressed were and are really interesting. And as far as A Guest go's she been quietly making me a fan even if we have no common ground when it comes to religion.

• DT
    DT

"I watched a short film on AMC that I enjoyed. The Red Balloon, about a baloon that befriends a child."

That is a great film. We can agree on that at least.

I'm sorry this thread has caused you so much distress. It has caused me some distress too. I feel like innocent victims have been blamed for what is the result of callous decisions of a large corporation and I feel compelled to defend them. I'm sure others who have responded feel the same way. Of course, there are other issues about litigation and when it is necessary. If this thread wasn't about a specific case where I feel the issue of liability is very clear, I might tend to agree with those who are passionate about that subject.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I feel as if I'm being taunted......

MLE, please don't feel that way. All it is is that many of us who've posted on this thread disagree with you. But that's the good thing about this board...we can disagree and still be friends.

• TD
    TD

MLE, you're one of my favorites here and I make a point of reading everything you write. So I don't mean any disrespect by saying that there appears to be a problem with an esoteric definition of terms.

I gave the classic example of the salesman who steps on skateboard left out on the front porch and you pointed out that this situation was different because both the parents and child were already familiar with the situation and should have "expected" it.

But it is easy to make the example a closer parallel. Instead of a salesman on a cold-call, let's assume it's the mailman and he's delivered to this address for a solid 5 years. There have always been skateboards left out on the front porch and he's always stepped around them before.

Does that change his expectation of an unobstructed walkway? No. --We're not talking about his perceptions.

It does not matter if he's seen the skateboards a thousand times or even a million times before. When we talk about the mailman's "expectation" of an unobstructed walkway, we're talking about the fact that the law requires that walkways be unobstructed.

When a pedestrian negotiates a hazard without injury, that's great, but accidents by their very nature are things that happen that one time you forget or that one time you trip or that one time you're distracted. What then? Negligence and liability are decided by the material details, not intangibles like the victim's alleged perceptions and state of mind. The questions are simple: Was there an unsafe condition? Who was responsible for the unsafe condition?

Stating that the victim should have known that you were negligent based on a past history of creating and tolerating a hazardous condition is no defense at all. Think what a disaster it would be if that became a viable legal defense for an entity like a public utility:

"The homeowner should have known we would install a faulty gas meter. The last two we installed were faulty and many other homes in the neighborhood had the same problem. It's not our fault his house burned down. It's his fault for turning on the furnace."

This thread really seems to be touching a nerve and I'm sorry about that. But it's not going to fade away when the child and the child's parents are being disparaged as clumsy and irresponsible.

• undercover
    undercover

Forget the legal arguments...

Here's what I see as bad form:

The accident happened "several years ago" but then this guy waits until just a few months ago to sue.

Now It can be argued that he didn't sue before because as a JW you're indoctrinated to not seek damages in court against "brothers".

But it can also be argued that once he was free of the indoctrination, he didn't sue because his daughter was wronged/hurt/scarred/crippled for life/whatever...he sued as a way to get back at the WTS for all his lost years of being fooled by them. It's an attitudeof, "I'll get back at them somehow..."

Suing because of the pain recieved and the long term effects is one thing, suing just for revenge is another. Sure, the WTS/JWs is a cult. Sure, we wasted our time in it. Sure, we probably lost money, education and other chances at a more normal life (if there is such a thing) than those not trapped in religious cults, but there is a point that we just have to take our lumps and admit that we were fooled and learn to just get over it. Using the misfortune of others to take advantage of those that we hold in low esteem is in poor taste.

And if that's not in bad taste, here's what is: coming out and bragging about it.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Hey, TD, no offense taken. Same with DT, Giordano, Jamie, Shelby(may you have peace!) and everyone else on this thread that I'm not seeing eye to eye with. Chukky, that applies to you too, I hope this hasn't discouraged you from posting more. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Heck, thats life.

Undercover

• Gary1914
    Gary1914

I'm glad he sued. I'm glad that he recouped some of the money that he contributed to the organization over the years. I am perhaps not as ethical or noble minded as some of you profess to be but I don't see anything wrong is wanting revenge against the organization. Sometimes people just get angry and want to lash out. This is being human and there is nothing wrong with that. I bet it was cathartic to receive that check. It may have been his decision to join the organization but it was a decision based on he organization's lies and being lead to believe that the organization had the "truth". Good for you! Don't feel bad and don't let others tell you how to live your life, or define who you are and how you should act.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit