Are ALL religious ideas TRUE?

by brotherdan 68 Replies latest jw experiences

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

There was once a Christian that was attending seminary that felt unusually bold one Sunday morning. He decided to go to a random church that he had never attended before. He went to the service and sat in one of the pews. Upon sitting the pastor got up and began his sermon. From the first sentence the seminary student knew that he had made a mistake.

The pastor began his sermon, "It does not matter what your religous belief is...you are all true! You will find no judgement here!"

He went through his entire sermon explaining why all religions are "true".

Following the sermon, the seminary student wanted to make a quick exit from the church. But alas...the pastor was standing at the exit, bear hugging all of the members of the church as they left.

As this man tried to leave the pastor stopped him.

"Well, my son, where are you from?"

"I am on vacation from seminary"

"Very good!", said the pastor. "What did you think about the sermon today?"

"Well I would prefer not to say for fear that I may offend you", said the man.

"Don't worry, my son! You will not offend me. Whatever your religous beliefs, they are welcome here!"

"Ok" said the man. "After hearing your sermon....well pastor...I believe you are going to hell."

After hmmm/hawwing the pastor acknowledged that maybe all religious views were NOT all true. He could not acknowledge that he was going to hell, after all!!!

The moral of the story is that there CANNOT be an ABSOLUTE religious belief that includes all people. Truth is truth. By definition, truth can only be one or the other. Either 2+2=4 is TRUE for all people at all times, or it is not TRUE.

By definition, truth cannot be 2 or more different ideas. If someone was to say, "There is NO absolute truth"...well that is a self defeating statement. You can ask, "Are you absolutely sure that is true?"

There MUST be 1 truth in all areas.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

They're all gay - that's for sure.

• tec
    tec

I think there are 'truths' in many religions, thoughts, ideals and groups.

I think there is only one Truth, however, and that is Christ.

And I agree that if two things are in direct contradiction, then one or both of them are wrong.

Tammy

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Agreed. But if it is "TRUTH" then truth is truth. If Mohamad is "truth" then Christ cannot be the "only" Truth. You know?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I liked the story bd, but you could ask the question: Are ANY religious ideas true? Religion by its very nature isn't based on provable facts.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Are ANY religious ideas true? Religion by its very nature isn't based on provable facts.

For the first sentence, AGREED! For the second...well everyone HAS to make their decisions based on provable facts. Everyone thinks their way is right, or else they wouldn't believe it.

I don't know your beliefs, but think about this. Think about if you are an evolutionist. Can you PROVE that information can somehow evolve from NO information?Information and matter are 2 different things. If you can demonstrate that a cell can come from some other form of matter? And if that plant CAN come from other matter, can you DEMONSTRATE how that plant has the information on how to grow, reproduce, nourish, etc...?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Just being able to find a good reason to trash someone else's religion doesn't mean your chosen sect has the Truth.

The notion that you can both be wrong isn't promoted by many religionists, including our Dan

Cheers

Chris

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    The notion that you can both be wrong isn't promoted by many religionists, including our Dan

In this context....agreed. And I don't promote that. Can I PROVE 100% that creationism is true? NO! Can I prove 100% that there is NO god? NO!

I was talking about those that say that there IS no truth.

Truth MUST exist or else it is self defeating.

For example, if I say:

"NO truth exists" then a clever person can say, "Is that TRUE?"

If I say, "Absolute truth is relative", then can I say, "Are you absolutely sure?"

It is laughable to argue that there is no truth. You can argue that we cannot KNOW absolute truth. But you cannot argue against truth itself. Truth MUST logically exist.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Your premise is faulty.

Are all ideas true: YES, its not possble to have a fake idea ,...unless you think INCEPTION is real...

Are all religious ideas true. ditto.

Are all scientific ideas true. ditto

Are all Dans ideas true. ditto

Etc etc.

However if the about teachings instead of ideas...

Are all teachings true. NO

Are all religious techings true. NO

Are all scientific teachings true. NO.

Are all Dans teachings true. NO.

There clear as mud....

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Agreed. But if it is "TRUTH" then truth is truth. If Mohamad is "truth" then Christ cannot be the "only" Truth. You know?

Ok let's dissect this statement.

If Christ is truth, what was truth before Christ came into being? Or came to earth or however you wish to word it or think about it?

Does that imply there was no truth before Christ?

If God was truth before Christ came into being, then that would mean there was two truths.

In your example above of 2+2=4 you forgot something.

That also 3+1=4, 1+1+1+1=4. So if you look at it in the big picture the argument could be made that all three equations used different amounts (or paths) to arrive at the same foundational truth which would be 4.

So what if you took Christ+Mohammed+Ghandi+Martin Luther King jr.= THE BIG PICTURE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit