Disfellowshiped ARE REQUIRED to sit in the library!

by brotherdan 63 Replies latest jw friends

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Where in the literature did it say you cannot hold hands in prayer?

Black Sheep:

It didn't

Oops..might want to do some research before you comment.

WT 11/15/2009

When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential "fear of God." (1 Pet 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

When you're bad, you have to go sit in the corner with a dunce cap. Like I said, it's Kindergarten for grown-ups. Unfortunately, the victims actually believe they are in Gehenna until they get out of the corner.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Dan, it was correct to say that the organization doesn't say "you cannot hold hands in prayer" the same way it doesn't say "You must shun disfellowshipped ones."
    The organization is also not a false prophet because it didn't use the exact words, "These are the words of Jehovah."

We all know that JW's must obey the implied commandments or read between the lines when the organization says "Jehovah's promise."
    At the same time, the organization is free to tell people that they never said "Simon Says" if it suits their purposes to hide the real truth of the matter. (That's from the children's game, not Simon from JWN.)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

We all knows that the WT is a false prophet, that we must shun disfellowshipped ones, and that we cannot hold hands during prayers. I don't think that any of this is reading between the lines. His comment was not meant to say that they didn't specifically say it. He was responding to a post that asked where in the literature the society said that we shouldn't hold hands during prayers.He said, "The didn't". I was showing the poster that...they did.

• reds
    reds

It makes me so mad how they've treated your MIL. Especially since she's trying to get reinstated. I'm glad it is opening her eyes to the unloving unchristian ways of the pharisees. Where is the mercy and compassion Jesus spoke of? They should be so ashamed of their self. Kudos to awen! Would love to have been a fly so as to see the look on that elders face when you partook. Priceless!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Thinning the pack 'til just the dominant alphas and subservient omegas remain.

This'll just help winnow out the in-betweeners even more.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

reds, it HAS opened her eyes. We are emailing back and forth right now. She just brought up that the time between 1Corinthians and 2Corinthians was about 4 months. In 1Cor, Paul talks about the need to expell a man that was bragging about sleeping with his step mother. In 2Cor he talks about welcoming the man back and making sure that he is not overly sad.

Our congregation has held to a pretty regular policy of keeping people disfellowshipped from between 1 to 4 years.

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

When I was still DF'd, I remember a day whereby all the back seats were taken by non-DF'd, so I just went to sit in the middle section of the KH (one of the very few places left), everyone was looking at me like i just fallen out of the sky from an allien planet. A very busy MS went to the back to ask one of the people at the back to exchange places with me, and then he came to me and without uttering a word pointed me towards the back. I stood up and started walking to the back, like a convicted murderer walking to the gallows.

• Awen
    Awen

I wonder what would happen if publishers stopped listening to stuff from Bethel if it didn't say "This is what Jehovah has said". I mean they would have a valid point. The GB can hide behind the phrase "we never said Jehovah told us this, so you just misapplied or misunderstood what we said", what though if people started being more literal minded and asked from where the commandments come from? I think the GB does this to protect themselves from legal action if their words cause harm or death to others. By phrasing it this way, the courts would give them the benefit of the doubt that their words had simply been misunderstood.

It's not as though anyone is fooled by their rhetoric, least of all God who can read hearts, still it would be nice if this was put into practice by publishers.

I learned long ago that the only power someone has over you is what you allow them to have.

With that in mind, I hold people to be accountable for their words. So if a WT makes a statement about a belief, I ask elders on who's authority is this being stated? If it's from men who have said in the past they aren't inspired (though oddly enough they say the organization is spirit directed) then by whose authority are they seeking to ask for submission to their doctrines? If it's from God, then the GB needs to put it in writing, otherwise it will get ignored.

As to not allowing others to have power over you, the publishers could put a stop to the GB's nonsense very quickly. It would take a united stand of the majority to say "enough". The whole disfellowshipping procedure can be stopped within a year if publishers, elders, CO's, DO's and whomever else started doing theings their own way. Sure some would be DFed for their rebellious attitude, but in the end, the GB would have to submit, otherwise they would stand a chance of losing everything.

This has been done in other churches and was done in the past amongst the Bible Students.

I suppose the overall problem is people put so much faith in the GB (rather than in the scriptures) that any thing that comes from Bethel is seen as coming from God, which is a shame. Also I suppose God might hold many publishers accountable for this, considering we all have free will and know right from wrong. Some might say they were deceived, yet Eve who was also decieved was still punished because she knew God's laws and still went along with what she saw as another authority figure (Satan as the serpent) rather than going to God and getting His input (which any publisher can do by picking up a Bible and reading it).

If it conflicts, then it's not legit.

• Awen
    Awen

Oh and I'm not trying to put myself in the judgement seat here against anyone else. I know I myself am responsible for lots of my own pain when I was a JW. I read what was in the scriptures and what it said about false prophets, false teachers, and still I stayed.

I had to learn to own my own power and be responsible for my own actions. I also had to admit that no matter how smart I thought I was, I was still deceived.

So what was I going to do about it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit