A Concerned Elder Speaks

by Franklin Massey 110 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Elder #1: "Brother Elder #2, your son recently started a program of study at the local college. We need to see you in the back to review your qualifications"

Elder #2: "OK"

.... they both walk back to a room filled with all the elders ...

Elder #1: "We are all here to review Elder #2's qualifications. Personally, I think he's great and should remain an elder. What do you think?"

All Elders: "Agreed".

Elder #1: "OK Elder #2, we have reviewed your qualifications and we all think you're OK."

Elder #2: "Thanks! Hey Elder #1, how about some drinks after the meeting?"

The next CO's visit:

CO: "Did someone review Elder #2's qualifications? His son is in college."

Elder #1: "Oh yes, we all reviewed him, the entire body of elders participated."

CO: "Very good. How about some drinks after the meeting?"

I would expect the Review as sighted above to be typical, but the foremost questions would be:

"Have Elder#2's children been dunked?" (Oh, yes, they made a heartfelt dedication at just 9 years old! Isn't that wonderful!)

"Are they displaying that they are still putting the Kingdom first in their lives?" (Oh yes, they are turning in their monthy token 10 hours driving around and snacking at McDonalds and they read the underlined answer right out of the WT publication at every meeting?)

It's all about appearances. Of course, there will be some hard@$$ elder bodies that will take the hardline, mostly those where the majority of the elders are struggling because they didn't go to college, or their kids are struggling (probably still living at home) because they didn't go to college, and thus they will conclude why should YOUR kids have it any better. (Sacrifice for the Kingdom.)

The worst are the ones who went to college, sowed their seed, partied their @$$ off, got their career going, now making the big $$$ and THEN converted or got re-activated -- but now say that you or your kids shouldn't feel like they are missing out on anything -- you should be grateful that you all have the Truth and not take the chance of getting involved in all of that wickedness of higher education and the risk of materialism. (BTW--Wish you could join the CO & me after the meeting for a dinner & a few drinks at the fancy, high-priced joint, but I know it's too expensive for you, but by the way, what time will you be at my corporate office tomorrow to clean the windows?)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

DesirousOfChange - "It's all about appearances. Of course, there will be some hardass elder bodies that will take the hardline, mostly those where the majority of the elders are struggling because they didn't go to college, or their kids are struggling (probably still living at home) because they didn't go to college, and thus they will conclude why should YOUR kids have it any better."

Kinda like the older plainjane busybody sisters who'd pressure good-looking/curvy young sisters to somehow dial down their physical attractiveness?

• Quendi
    Quendi

All this thread tells me is that the Society's body of elders arrangement, while scriptural, does not have the support of Jehovah's holy spirit. Isn't that obvious? Inconsistent standards, variable enforcement of them, and confusion among elders as to how a college education (in this instance) impacts their duties should raise a red flag to any and all who are involved with this.

Jesus said the religious leaders of his day 'strained out the gnat while gulping down the camel.' This discussion about the Society's attitude toward higher education is in the same vein. Why does it feel it has to make rulings on something that has nothing to do with living the kind of life that will gain divine approval? This kind of action should tell any and all elders that they are being manipulated by an organization that has no idea what Christian living should entail. Their action in this case reminds me of another of Christ's sayings. "Let them be. Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit." --Matthew 15:14

The stance on college education is only the tip of the iceberg. There are many other issues on which this organization has taken a completely wrong-headed position, and those issues are much more important than whether one has a college degree or not. If you are really upset with the Society's stand on this, the best way to protest is to step down as an elder or ministerial servant. Your presence on the servant body is a silent endorsement of policies and attitudes that have no place in Christian life. I know that is easier said than done, but all the complaining and murmuring in the world is not going to change the Governing Body's mind. Concrete action is the only thing they understand

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If you are really upset with the Society's stand on this, the best way to protest is to step down as an elder or ministerial servant.

Some think they can have a greater influence for change from the inside than on the outside.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Some think they can have a greater influence for change from the inside than on the outside.

In my opinion, they are wrong.

What can be accomplished?

A greater influence inside for what? To influence what? What will an elder that remains accomplish for the congregation, wake them up? Teach them the Watchtower is wrong? Or will their watered down version of obedience to the org just make others think the Org is not as restrictive as it really is?

Wouldn't it be great if all questioning, doubting, awake elders united and at the very least resigned en masse? Better yet, DA'd? One here or there on this or that side of the pond accomplishes very little. Imagine a coordinated exit of elders!

Look how the internet and modern communication has played a major role in today's Egypt.

Get to it elders.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

DesirousOfChange - "Some think they can have a greater influence for change from the inside than on the outside."

I felt that way when I first realized that the WTS had gotten something major really wrong (evolution, and thusly Genesis-as-literal-history, in case anyone's wondering), since my formative adult years were the relatively liberal (from a JW point of view) 90s.

That feeling passed quickly, when circumstances forced me to acknowledge that overall, the WTS was - at its core - conservative/authoritarian, and thusly was unable to morph into something even remotely progressive.

As I've said before, any significant reforms at this point and they would arguably no longer be Jehovah's Witnesses.

• free2beme
    free2beme

In Europe, it is considered a higher education past what is considered 10th grade in the USA. So, is that the same thing in question for higher education.

• dozy
    dozy

It is all very hypocritical of the WTBTS who as recently as 1992 said that ...

w9211/1p.20pars.16-17EducationWithaPurpose

So when parents and young Christians today, after carefully and prayerfully weighing the pros and cons, decide

or against postsecondary studies, others in the congregation should not criticize them. If Christian parents responsibly decide to provide their children with further education after high school, that is their prerogative.

Of course , it is OK for GB members to send their children to university (such as Albert Schroeder who allowed his son & daughter in law to attend Columbia university to study law). Their qualifications are not "called into quesion".

• Quendi
    Quendi

Wannabefree is entirely correct when he says that passive obedience to WTS edicts does no good. And I think he is also right to say that they should not just step down from positions of responsibility but should leave the organization entirely. Is that too drastic a step? No, because it is the right thing to do. The WTS is determined to exercise as much control over Jehovah's Witnesses as it can. But to do this, it needs compliant officers in place. So from the branch offices on down to congregation servant bodies, the chain of command must be intact to keep control.

Those who are serving in those capacities must ask themselves what their real motives are. Is it to really serve as loving shepherds, teachers, and guides for fellow Witnesses or do they enjoy the rank and privileges that come with their offices of oversight? I don't doubt there are many sincere men serving in different capacities in the organization. But the time has come for them to take a long, hard, honest look at the direction the organization is taking and whether their support, passive or otherwise, is the moral and Christian thing to give.

Those who think they can effect change 'from within' are only deceiving themselves. Any changes the WTS will make will be cosmetic ones at best. The move over the last fifteen years or more has been to tighten its grip and control over the membership. More rules are being put in place, not fewer. Hopes and prayers that Jehovah will "straighten things out" will go unmet and unanswered as well because if that were the divine will, it would surely have taken place by now. The WTS isn't deaf. It has heard the complaints and concerns about its attitude and actions long before now and has not acted on them, let alone acknowledged their legitimacy. There is only one recourse left for honest people and that is to leave and not look back.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

If you are really upset with the Society's stand on this, the best way to protest is to step down as an elder or ministerial servant.

AMEN, THIS IS WHAT IS NEEDED!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit