A Concerned Elder Speaks

by Franklin Massey 110 Replies latest jw friends

• pirata
    pirata
    Either you believe the end is near or you dont and if you dont then you do not support the view of the GB

At the KMS school, this statement (or close to) was made: some go to higher education to prove the Governing Body wrong...

That would be a pretty stupid motivation to go to higher education, so I found this statement quite bizarre. Bottom line, the Governing Body seem to perceive attending higher education as a challenge or questioning of their authority.

• pirata
    pirata

I think Fingers point is that if JWs really beileved everything the GB teaches, then higher education would not be an issue in their minds.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

At the KMS school, this statement (or close to) was made: some go to higher education to prove the Governing Body wrong...

That would be a pretty stupid motivation to go to higher education, so I found this statement quite bizarre. Bottom line, the Governing Body seem to perceive attending higher education as a challenge or questioning of their authority.

The brother made that statement at my school too. Not only was it a bizarre statement, it was stupidly contrived too. It was another one of classic raised eyebrow moments that left me more confused than anything else.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    God won't just rain down freaking manna from heaven. I mean, God helps those who help themselves. He doesn't encourage laziness in the Bible - yet you wouldn't know it from the amount of JW's who pioneer while collecting free money off government assistance . God might provide, sure- but he doesn't want us sitting on our a$$. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

To me, God is a masterful observer. He may help things along, but in no way would he use forms of micromanagement.

Life is a chaotic mess of fortune and misfortune. We are the variables, that is well documented... what is not well documented are the innerworkings of our creator's masterwork...we know what we are, not why. We may try to fool ourselves into some sort of fantasy that satisfies what we would like our relationship with God to be like. But, in the end, these types of fantasies end up behaving more like overly loose shoe strings... getting in the way all the time!

I think it's time for people to start examing what we have and less of what we believe we have, because we all know we can't agree on the "beliefs" but we hope we can agree, for the most part, with the "cold facts of life."

Technologically we are at a point of extreme potential or catastrophic loss. Frankly, I don't think it's beyond our Creator to watch us destroy ourselves... as an observer that would be most facinating!

-Sab

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

"It's like they WANT fewer elders and servants."

I'm beginning to think this is what all the recent changes have been implemented for - to wake the majority up and have them leave on their own accord. A lot cheaper than having to answer to all those that stick around until the WBTS closes shop, which shouldn't be too long in coming now. A perfect storm is brewing - tax changes in country after country/pedophile scandals/disfellowshipping/human rights abuses etc. Billboard adverts/everything will come spilling out of the closets soon - to the point that remaining Witnesses will start being embarassed to be associated with this religion. If you can get the majority to leave before that pitiful moment, the fallout will be less severe. MENE MENE TEKEL PARSIN and all that.

Ok, that's my 2c

• The Finger
    The Finger

miseryloveselders.

If in 1969 you were baptised as a Witness what did you accept? If you accepted the belief then you should have acted in a way that showed that. Now if you are and a JW and still accept it then education takes a back seat to the christian responsiblies as put forth by the GB. Unless you can be a full time pioneer and do further education you should either leave the JW or not go for further education.

• Gayle
    Gayle

It is wonderful that some may be getting a "crisis of conscience" going on this issue. A few questions:

How many of these elders and ministerials would have been loyal, obedient on denying their children a blood transfusion, regarding their children to the point of a threatening death? Most! Therefore, most will have no problem denying their children a college eduation.

I have a few very distant JW relatives. One elder had a wife going to college (nurse) back in the '90s when the WTS kind of opened up on the issue. They have been quite comfortable income wise with the two incomes, and he only had to work a few days a week since instead. Also, two other elders had two kids living at home going a local college and they are doing very well economically comfortable for it.

Now, how do they go on and review and counsel other elders now wanting to do the same thing for their families? How will they not have a "crisis of conscience" on that? Maybe they will state, "well, the light get brighter and brighter." Well, lucky for them - now.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The Finger just keeps trolling along but nobody's biting. Congratulations! I think we're learning some lessons around here.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

miseryloveselders.

If in 1969 you were baptised as a Witness what did you accept? If you accepted the belief then you should have acted in a way that showed that. Now if you are and a JW and still accept it then education takes a back seat to the christian responsiblies as put forth by the GB. Unless you can be a full time pioneer and do further education you should either leave the JW or not go for further education.

Ok, a couple things for you then. Where in the bible does it say that a Christian is obligated to become a "full time pioneer?" Where in the bible is the word pioneer? How many hours did the Apostle Paul, or Peter average a month? How many hours did Jesus Christ average a month? While we're at it, do you think every now and then a directive came from the older men in Jerusalem stating that the 1st Century Christians could have the month of April to only do 30 hours a month? And when Paul or Barnabus visited the various congregations, the 30 hour pioneers could sit in on the pioneer meeting? Is any of that in the bible?

Another thing, I picked 1969 as the year to consider for a reason. As I wouldn't have believed it until someone showed it to me, but that was the year the GB printed articles stating that young people in school would never get old. If a man was twenty years of age in 1969, he'd be in his early 60's by now. He'd be able to apply for Medicare benefits. If he still decided to go to school back then, and sticked with this religion, do you think Jehovah views him as unworthy because he didn't follow the GB's directives on education? Did his actions of going to college, show he had little faith the system of things was coming to a close soon? Or did he demonstrate shrewdness in taking care of his responsibilities which don't only include spiritual matters, but physical and material "needs" too?

• undercover
    undercover
    If you believe that this is the time of the end and we are deep into it. This is the viewpoint of Elders whether they like it or not. Then everything is geared to saving lives and telling people about the last days that started in 1914. Not looking for an easy life.
    "The Finger", the problem is that what's good for the society isn't good for the rank and file.

And as reported by Franklin, it's not good for all the elders either and many don't like it. These were elders who voiced concerns over this heavy-handed approach to trying to keep people from seeking higher education.

The problem is that "the deeper" we get into "the end", the fewer and fewer JWs actually believe it. Oh, they may pay lip service to the concept and nod their heads at the WT study when the subject is brought up, but by their actions...and inactivity regarding "spiritual" things... it's obvious that they don't really "BELIEVE" it. If they did, they would be just as energetic about it and boastful about it as our grandparents and their parents were. Instead, they limp along and try to fit in with normal society and hope that no one really singles them out as end time believers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit