A Concerned Elder Speaks

by Franklin Massey 110 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

That conversation is very telling. It really shows the disconnect between those of us out here in the grind of life, and those higher ups in Bethel who don't have to face that grind. However, they may see the very real possibility coming, of having to deal with that 9-5 grind if the organization keeps bleeding their own. Till the day I die, I'll never forget looking at the heavyweight from Bethel telling us we were all culpable if we didn't review the qualifications of an elder who's kids are going to college. I'll never forget it, never. The worst part of it all is that it hit me while looking at the fat mooching slob on the stage threatening us, was that this guy's entire lifestyle is supported by the contributions of working people.

He reminded me of an person I used to work with. The guy's name was Norman, but he went by the shortened version, Norm. He was so much of a weirdo and a freak, that we called him, Ab-Norm. Everybody at this plant absolutely detested this guy. He was physically weak and always needed a hand lifting things, because we only had so many overhead pneumatic pullies at the place. So if the pullies were all tied up, he'd come begging one of us to help him lift something. The guy was also an idiot, and the funny thing I've noticed about idiots is that they all do their best to not come off like idiots. Yet, they all fail miserably, and this jackass was no exception. Always telling us his about his previous jobs, and how we shoud do our jobs this way or that way. Eventually he was so ostrasized from everyone else at the shop, that he had to get another job. Prior to that, the supervisors were encouraging him to go on the night shift so that that they could limit his time in making potential enemies, especially because they didn't have a legitimate reason to fire him or lay him off. The last I heard, he found a job at a competing shop, and from what I understand, they all hate him there too. Freak.

But I tell you, Ab-Norm reminded me so much of the heavyweight threatening us at the school. The same smarmy attitude, yet completely oblivious to other's perception of him. Ya know, I hope the conversation you had with that COBOE is a fitting discription of many other elders and servants throughout this organization. I spoke with my father by phone not that long after the school, and asked for his thoughts regarding higher education. He told me he's perplexed by it, as he can't see where they're coming from. It doesn't make any sense to him. One thing he said stood out to me though, as he relayed to me that he would not sit on some commitee or in some meeting judging a brother's qualifications to still serve if his children were pursuing higher education. I thought it was very telling, and I wonder how many other brothers would refuse to get involved with something like that. I know I wouldn't.

• journey-on
    journey-on

The GB are older out-of-touch men that have no inkling that times have changed, and that GONE are the days of finding decent-paying jobs without higher education. They are still living in the 60's and 70's (or earlier) where young men could just walk into a factory or plant and get a job with just a high school diploma. Jobs have changed.

Someone needs to educate these old farts.

• JeffT
    JeffT

As you will see when I post the next section of my personal background, this is THE issue that drove me from the Jehovah's Witnesses. I wanted better for my children and was not willing to accept somebody's statement that they needed to serve an unfulfilled fairy tale.

Just out of curiosity, what is the WTBS going to do if half their elders quit or get forced out over this?

• DanaBug
    DanaBug
    the watchtower is not run by smart men. they are in desperate need of elders, and they are so unreasonable that they are even pushing away faithful people who actually like being JW's who follow all the rules.
    Just out of curiosity, what is the WTBS going to do if half their elders quit or get forced out over this?

My thoughts too. They haven't thought this one through either. Amazing how many lives they control, and they prove over and over they don't have any common sense or forethought. I hope this goes very badly for them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FRANKLIN MASSEY: This is so tragic to read and it is past the point of just being angry with delusional people who are out of touch with the real world we live in. You actually have to get up and turn your back on this insanity. Nobody needs to try to bring this religion down because they are doing a very good job just by themselves. In my opinion, anybody who heeds the insane advice of these people to the detriment of their family is going to cry bitter tears.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I have mixed feeling on this. If one truly believes then God will provide, our lives dedicated to God are that. Come rain or shine.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I have mixed feeling on this. If one truly believes then God will provide, our lives dedicated to God are that. Come rain or shine.

Can you clarify this a little? Since when did seeking an education interfere with being dedicated to God? Since when did making a living interfere with being dedicated to God?

• flipper
    flipper

FRANKLIN - Great thread. It's important to share these experiences and information with others on the board in order to see just how CONTROLLING the WT society has become and are becoming more INTRUSIVE into people's personal lives. WT society truly is a dangerous mind control cult who wants to " dumb down " the masses of Jehovah's Witnesses they are controlling. The more stupid, unintelligent, uninformed, and uneducated they can keep their members- then they can maintain control over them and keep them from exiting the Witnesses.

Kudos to your P.O. elder friend who values his childrens education over his elders position in the congregation. Right on. I feel more and more elders and other witnesses are starting to wake up to the extreme control of the WT society. I hope more keep waking up

• flipper
    flipper

The Finger- God won't just rain down freaking manna from heaven. I mean, God helps those who help themselves. He doesn't encourage laziness in the Bible - yet you wouldn't know it from the amount of JW's who pioneer while collecting free money off government assistance . God might provide, sure- but he doesn't want us sitting on our a$$

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    the watchtower is not run by smart men. they are in desperate need of elders, and they are so unreasonable that they are even pushing away faithful people who actually like being JW's who follow all the rules.
    My thoughts too. They haven't thought this one through either. Amazing how many lives they control, and they prove over and over they don't have any common sense or forethought. I hope this goes very badly for them.

they're banking: that strongarm tactics will win over rational thinking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit