Birthdays not mentioned in the new elder's handbook

by Robert7 30 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Cameo-D, thanks for elaborating on that here. I am in agreement with your view just presented.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thank you Isaacaustin. That's quite a compliment coming from you.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL No problem! :)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

and you are welcome.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

and you are welcome.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Is it possible they are quietly seeing the "Lightâ„¢" on the fact that most bible experts believe Job and his family celebrated their birthdays? As often stated, if the two instances (bad things + birthdays = bad) in the bible involved a wedding anniversary would they not celebrate anniversaries? What if it occured at a wedding feast would dubs have a quick ceremony at the KH and then off for some quick consumation and a post-coital bag of chips and beer from the liquor bar?

I kick myself for being so stupid 25 years ago - If only the internet were around then....

• LV101
    LV101

i recall reading a very small blurb in one of the magazines around 1997-1998 (Awake -- i think this was the mag. they'd sneak things into?) --- anyway, it was about birthdays and how they are a conscious matter for christians as to observing and weaker xtians would view them differently than mature xtians. i could not believe they were leaving it up to the individual. maybe it was in a w/tower, i can't remember which one and it's been so very long -- but seems it was slipped in toward the back of magazine. this position may have flip-flopped five times since then for all i know, but I KNOW I READ IT.

i'm sure someone else will recall or can research. i used to know witnesses who would go to olive garden restaurant and mention it was their birthday so they could have a free cake and dessert. UNREAL!

LV101

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It might not technically be a disfellowshipping offense to celebrate a birthday, but the hounders don't go by what is technical. If the hounders claim it's a judicial offense, they will act accordingly and there isn't jack squat you can do about it. Additionally, they can now label it "brazen conduct" as they see fit.

Hell, they could say that going to college or buying a computer is "brazen conduct" if they see fit. All they need do is tell you not to do it, or tell you to get rid of the computer (or whatever else they want you to get rid of). If you don't, it becomes "brazen conduct".

• fokyc
    fokyc

Re. LV101's post above:

*** w98 10/15 p.31 Questions From Readers ***

Consequently, while it is entirely a private matter if Christians choose to take note of their wedding anniversary,

there are good reasons why mature Christians abstain from celebrating birthdays.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Wasn't there someone on this board who was df'ed because of celebrating his kid's birthday? Or at least it kick-started a JC which opened up a can of worms which led to df'ing. Anyway, he and his wife were caught out because they'd posted the party pics on the net and a JW relative (?) ratted on them. Does that ring any bells?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit