Birthdays not mentioned in the new elder's handbook

by Robert7 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

I just noticed this today when I was replying to another thread. The new elders handbook doesn't even mention the word birthday, even though there's a big detailed chapter on offences requiring a judicial committee.

Is it possible that celebrating birthdays is officially, according to the 'law', allowed? I can see this being the case, where technically you're allowed to, but you would just get judged like crazy.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Robert7, in the "Keep In God's Love" book b-days were denounced though- equated to Satanism.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Good point... just very weird that it's Satanism in one book, and not even mentioned in the elders manual.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It may be that they are leaving it out for

1. Further movement in the future toward mainstreaming in an attempt to retain younger JW's.
    2. Certain countries that could consider them a radical cult based on this and other similar restrictions.

However, it is more likely that the elders' handbook is a catchall for the organization to say that the individual elders/congregations decided how to enforce the rules. Look at the one that easily can apply to birthdays:

Under "Apostasy" on page 65, "Deliberately spreading teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses."

This can be used to form a JC for anyone that didn't keep the birthday celebration secret. (That's tough with kids) The elders can make you kiss their asses and say how sorry you are or else form a JC over the birthday celebration.

• Gayle
    Gayle

If the organization accepts for their members to do their birthday celebrations, then it opens the door, domino style, for other celebrations/holidays.

I found interesting how the "Seventh Day Adventists," as they are about 30/40 yrs longer organized I think from JWs, have their rule about vegetarian diet, but only about a third follow it strictly. But they have gone into an acceptance of those that don't follow it strictly.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It is very hard to justify a ban on the annual celebration of one thing ( birth) and not another thing ( marriage or business establishment), even more so in countries that use the same word for both, LOL !

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Just as door to door is a JW trademark, so is not participating in holdays. The GB wants its members trademarked as different so they do not fit in. They do not want school-age kids to go to classamtes birthday parties (and form friendships) and witness moms forming friends with classmate's moms they meet at kids parties.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Psac, JWs will say an anniverary celebrates a date, while a B-day celebrates a person. BS of course- as in both cases the person/couple get the gifts and attention. My wife tried to say that God is the author of marriage and had no answer when I asked who was the creator of life.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Anyone- Did the old elders manual mention b-days?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Actually this is not a change- I checked the old elder's manual which I have in searchable pdf...the word birthday does not appear in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit