Why I think Jesus spoke against Organized Religion

by sabastious 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• myelaine
    myelaine

I think that Jesus understands safety in numbers and wants us to gather together to serve, it is easier to minister "outside" when there are many at the task. also with accountability to the group and encourgement in growth the bond of fellowship is increased...sharing each others burdens is important. each finger can work alone but when there are 5 attached to a hand there is strength...

1 How lovely is Your tabernacle,
    O LORD of hosts!
    2 My soul longs, yes, even faints
    For the courts of the LORD;
    My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
    And the swallow a nest for herself,
    Where she may lay her young—
    Even Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
    My King and my God.
    4 Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
    They will still be praising You. Selah

5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
    Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
    6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
    They make it a spring;
    The rain also covers it with pools.
    7 They go from strength to strength;
    Each one appears before God in Zion.

8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;
    Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah
    9 O God, behold our shield,
    And look upon the face of Your anointed.

10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
    11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
    The LORD will give grace and glory;
    No good thing will He withhold
    From those who walk uprightly.

12 O LORD of hosts,
    Blessed is the man who trusts in You! (psalm 84:1-12)

love michelle

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

myelaine do you write this stuff yourself?

You are improving but have a way yet to go, to catch up with Wordsworth.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear GLADIATOR...

do I write what stuff?...

...sometimes I condense, in a few words, complicated themes...like a jewish sage...

love michelle

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Jesus' core teaching: Think for yourself.

This is an error, dear WTW (peace to you!). The PROBLEM arose when man thought... for himself: the man Adham showed that some of us can NOT think for ourselves... without harming others. Israel also proved that time and time again. Thus, Israel was told "Trust in God with all your heart and do NOT lean upon your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of HIM... and HE will make your paths straight." That truth has not changed... at least, for the Household of God and Body of Christ... and those who go with them, as born out in my Lord's words:

"The doorkeeper opens to this one, and the sheep listen to his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has got all his own out, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, because they know his voice."

Before he said those words, he said these others:

“To YOU , O men, I am calling, and my voice is to the sons of men. O inexperienced ones, understand shrewdness; and YOU stupid ones, understand heart. Listen, for it is about the foremost things that I speak, and the opening of my lips is about uprightness. For my palate in low tones utters truth itself; and wickedness is something detestable to my lips. All the sayings of my mouth are in righteousness. Among them there is nothing twisted or crooked. All of them are straight to the discerning one, and upright to the ones finding knowledge. T AKE my discipline and not silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it."

It is thinking for ourselves that has gotten mankind into all sorts of trouble and problems. And this is even more exacerbated when we listen to and follow the thinking of OTHER men. Because our thinking is always... always... shortsighted. Which is why we're surprised when, say, a wonderful invention like the airplane is used to drop a bomb that can take out an entire nation. When medical progress and technology is used to commit mass genocide. When something as useful as a gun (which can protect a man and his family against a raging wild animal) is used to kill another human. Many other humans. It is not the tools/technology that our brains invent and develop; it is the very primative thinking of man when it comes to the use of such tools/technology to dominate his fellow man. We have not learned how to progress intellectually and technologically... without regressing humanely. And on our own we never will. Because there will ALWAYS be something thinking... for himself. To the great detriment of his fellowman.

if only people were that strong...

Indeed, dear PSacto (peace to you!), thus my comment to dear WTW, above. But they CAN be, if they learn from the One who IS so strong... and free. He knows HOW to do it... because he had done it... and so can teach us. IF... we are willing to learn... from HIM. NOT by what is written in the Bible but directly from his mouth (though the Bible may be a decent start if one lacks the faith to hear him speak. Problem is, though, a whole lot of people claim to live "by the Bible" - yet, where has THAT gotten us? I even saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "You keep your change; I'll keep my gun and my Bible." I thought, "Seriously??"). As that One is recorded to have said:

"Take my yoke upon YOU and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and YOU will find refreshment for YOUR souls. 30 For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.”

Where I think you are going wrong is in trying to insert these concepts into the mouth of Jesus.

I agree with you, dear NeonMan (peace to you!) that my Lord did not despise organization. Indeed, he established organization with himself as leader. I think, though, that dear Sab (peace to you, too!) is comparing my Lord's teachings, which did construct organization, with "religions" that, under the guise of being "organized" to carry out the work of Christ, have used the Law... and rules upon the Law... and rules upon the rules... to teach a "different Christ." When I read your comments, I "hear" you saying the same thing as the poster, but perhaps clearer, even more, shall we say, organized? And you are absolutely correct in your response to the statement that the church is "necessary". As the Body of Christ and the temple of God, it is indeed a very necessary "vessel" which will one day completely house the Spirit of God, as one. The authorities of the church, however, are not always necessary (and by "church", I mean the congregation of the Firstborn, the Body of Christ, which is EVERY individual member, whether foundation, pillar, or living stone... and not some organized institutional harlot that calls herself... and is called by others... "the Church"): the Body member can CHOOSE to exercise such authority... or NOT so choose:

"... he blew upon them and said to them: “Receive holy spirit. If YOU forgive the sins of any persons, they stand forgiven to them; if YOU retain those of any persons, they stand retained.”

Meaning those who have received such holy spirit can CHOOSE to forgive... or retain... the sins of any other person. What such one should DO, however, is not a mystery: such sins should ALWAYS be forgiven. Why? Again, my Lord's words:

Stop judging that YOU may not be judged; for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged; and with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU ."

He could say this because HE did not judge... and will not judge. Even though he had... and has... ALL AUTHORITY... to do so. Rather, he will turn such judging over to the MOST Holy One of Israel. Which is why That One did not hold back from GIVING such authority TO my Lord.

True freedom can be quite a terrifying prospect.

Yes, dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one, and I've missed you all, too!), but as my dear husband often says to me: "feel the fear... and do it anyway." I think it's what stage performers are told and it is a good reminder. That is what the EXERCISING of faith is: feeling the fear (of having the build an ark when there is no rain in sight)... but doing it anyway (because you believe the One who told you He was sending a flood WILL send it, even though nobody else heard Him say it).

And it can be terrifying from time to time while you're existing in it, I will admit. You well know the things I often see and hear and afterward often directed to post... and so can probably imagine the terror I feel... before doing it. But you push on through because the terror is so brief. SO brief. Seconds, if that. Nothing like the fear of this world. And so I tell you truthfully, I would NOT trade the freedom that has been given me TO state such things... for anything. The tiny bit of terror I experience from time to time as a result of true freedom is NOTHING compared to the terror I experience as a result of the bondage, darkness, restraint, oppression, restriction, blow to my true self, and these like these... that comes with living in slavery... slavery that is IMPOSED upon me and thus UNWANTED... versus slavery (servitude) that I had the freedom to choose.

Until he speaks to me, I shall remain ignorant.

Forgive me, dear Glad (as always, peace to you!) and I mean absolutely NO offense, but the correct statement would be:

"Until I start to LISTEN, I shall remain ignorant."

He IS speaking, dear one, even to you. Again, his words:

To YOU , O men, I am calling, and my voice is to the sons of men.

You only need answer. Truthfully.

Again, I bid you all peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well Said Shelby.

As I say very often when I pray to Our Lord, "Unto your hands I commit my spirit and ask you to guide my heart, my words and my actions".

It was a tad scary at first, now I can't see myself not doing it.

• jay88
    jay88

AGuest-This is an error, dear WTW (peace to you!). The PROBLEM arose when man thought... for himself: the man Adam showed that some of us can NOT think for ourselves... without harming others.

>>>>>>>>

Adam was not deceived, he knew that he was being told a lie. So, yes he could think for himself. The PROBLEM occurred with his failure to act on the falsity.

There are JW's that know they have been lied too, ----but fail to act on the dishonesty that comes from their leaders---That Sir is the PROBLEM.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    now I can't see myself not doing it.

And isn't it a wonderful gift, dear PSacto (the greatest of love and peace to you!), that freedom that we've exchanged ourselves for? I cannot imagine going to the life I had before. It would be like going back to the Borg... or any other religion. Atheists know freedom from religion and, they say, freedom from God, and thus peace. Yet, many of them are still angry... "at" God.

We, however, know freedom from religion... by means of freedom IN God, as His sons, through Christ. And so, we have be able to put away anger and thus experience TRUE peace. True... freedom. Nothing like it, truly!

Your servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    We, however, know freedom from religion... by means of freedom IN God, as His sons, through Christ. And so, we have be able to put away anger and thus experience TRUE peace. True... freedom. Nothing like it, truly!

I couldn't have put it better myself :)

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Adam was not deceived, he knew that he was being told a lie. So, yes he could think for himself. The PROBLEM occurred with his failure to act on the falsity.

But he DID act on the falsity, dear Jay (peace to you!): he ate. In spite of the lie. Not only to his own detriment but to Eve's and our's. He just didn't care... because he was absolutely thinking FOR himself. And himself alone.

There are JW's that know they have been lied too, ----but fail to act on the dishonesty that comes from their leaders---That Sir is the PROBLEM.

For those JWs, yes. I am thinking that they are in the minority, however. What of those who don't believe they've been lied to... or don't want to believe it? Most people want to be lied to, dear one. Truly. It took me almost half a century to learn this truth. I thought, no, they just can't handle the truth. But the truth is that they WANT to be lied to. A woman WANTS a man to say, "No, honey, you DON'T look fat in those jeans." Because she already KNEW she DID when she asked! If SHE didn't think so, she wouldn't have asked (because what husband really knows more than his wife?). SHE just wanted someone else to convince her that what she already knew to be TRUE... was a lie. Because she didn't like what she SAW. So, he says the "right" thing ("No, of course not!") which, although not the truth... is what she WANTS to hear. Then she convinces herself that because HE said she didn't look fat... she doesn't. I mean, I'm just sayin'.

And that's only one tiny example. There are much larger ones. For example, that slaves were not human, or if so, only 3/5ths. Oh, come on. Folks knew that was a lie. And that Jews SHOULD die because of what their forefathers "did" to my Lord. Seriously? And that life doesn't really start at conception. Yeah, right. And that it's "okay" to drop a bomb on 1,000 innocent women and children so long as you get one or two "bad" guys (they only casualties of war, after all). And it's okay to make limited supplies and then charge exorbitant prices for medicine that COULD irradicate certain diseases but since there are those who are willing to pay googobs so that there's money in NOT making more, why on earth would anyone do that?

The JW example would be the one who KNOWS the WTBTS said the "end" was coming in 1975... but has convinced themselves... or allowed themselves to be convinced... that they did NOT make such a pronouncement.

All of these are among those who "love the lie." And in general, earthling man LOVES the lie. Why? Because truth is revealing... and comes with great responsibility. And... often garners hate from those who are not so truthful. Who wants to put themselves out like that? Nope, better to remain in the dark and live in the lies. You know: go along to get along and so forth. Life's easier that way, and most of us want to take it easy.

I mean, I'm just sayin'...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Jesus explicitly stated in the Gospels NOT to judge. I think this a grossly overlooked statement from Jesus from the Witnesses and a lot of Christian denominations.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit