Why I think Jesus spoke against Organized Religion

by sabastious 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sabastious
    sabastious

This is going to be a short essay on a point I have been thinking about for a while now.

Jesus explicitly stated in the Gospels NOT to judge. I think this a grossly overlooked statement from Jesus from the Witnesses and a lot of Christian denominations.

Judging could be defined as figuring out what's right or wrong for another person. It's a pretty simple concept really, and Jesus warned against it.

Organized Religion BY DEFINITION creates doctrine and policy, some enforce them more than others (like the Witnesses).

To create (or interpret) doctrine and initialize policy IS TO JUDGE OTHERS. By creating what is "Right" you are also creating what is "Wrong."

By defining what is Wrong is judging IF the definition transcends individuality.

Reading the Bible and using it as a guide is NOT judging as long as you read it for yourself. It's one thing to share what you have learned with others, which is NOT judging by itself.

But the SECOND you create an Organization around your ideas and enforce them you are JUDGING in the most grandest way, and therefore are REJECTING the teachings of Jesus.

The Witnesses have a plethora of information and Bible commentary of how the Bible teaches that God REQUIRES an Organization, when in the end when it REJECTS Jesus' CORE teachings.

Therefore it is my guess that ALL Organized Religion rejects Jesus.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Therefore it is my guess that ALL Organized Religion rejects Jesus.

Well, that is actually a judgement.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Well, that is actually a judgement.

Good thing I am not a follower of Christ

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Plus, LWT, I referred to it as a GUESS. I'm not sure how an admitted guess can be a judgement.

-Sab

• tec
    tec

I think you can make observations without judging someone. (although those observations can certainly be false) Judging is more like saying 'you are evil and you are going to hell/or die at armageddon'.

"This woman is a witch." (not necessarily a judgment, though perhaps a lie)

"You deserve to be condemned to hell for being in league with Satan, and burned at the stake." (this is a judgment - and even further - "WE condemn you to death.")

Judgment could also be deciding whether someone is good or bad. Rather than just if this is a good or bad action.

(gotta run to work now, or I'm going to be late )

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus was very much against the hypocracy that religious heirachy creates.

Organized religion is a funny thing, everyhting needs an "organization" of some sorts of course but man tends to equate heirachy with organization and THAT is the problem.

Jesus was clear that there was NO MASTER ( other then him)and that no one was any better than anyone else, but he did seem to have "favorites" ( Peter John and James it seems) and he loved Lazarus and his family deeply, but this just shows that he FELT deeply for certain people.

He may have given Peter the "headship" of the apostles, but when he converted Paul he didn't send him to Peter or even to Jerusalem.

The whole organized heirachy started with the 2nd and 3rd generations after the apostles and direct disciples died, it started with giving the Bishops ( elders) far more power then they needed and then it grew from their.

It's funny that the GB of the JW's is based more on the "apostate organization" of the church than the free flowing apostolic union that was shared by ALL believers in the 1st century.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It's funny that the GB of the JW's is based more on the "apostate organization" of the church than the free flowing apostolic union that was shared by ALL believers in the 1st century.

I think that's what Jesus encouraged. Open forum.

He knew we were not gods like him in any way. There is no room in our psyche for absolutes, especially philosophical absolutes. Open honest forum is the most condusive to coexistence, harmony and happiness.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Another thing, LWT. There is a difference between Organized Religion and a fellowship.

The difference is the former enforces it's policies and the latter doesn't. If my OP was a judgement I think it could be merrited because I am judging an Organized Entity not the individuals.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Quite correct Sab and if one reads the NT one sees that fellowship between believers and how they didn't always agree with things even at times being at opposite ends of the spectrum, but they they tried as a group to come to some decision that was in betterment for ALL.

• sabastious
    sabastious

F'ing Paul. He so f*cked up the Bible, IMO.

His writings are riddled with judgements and policy enforcement. It gives so much ammunition to the Organized Religions.

What do you know, he was orginally a PHARISEE!

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit