He's coming ...

by sacolton 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
  • Wrong Way
    Wrong Way

That overseer looks like David Mercante. Doesn't he?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I never understood why the elders kiss up to the CO so much. Are they trying to get assembly parts or something?

My dad has a disease that has caused him to have over 20 surgeries on his legs. One leg is shorter than the other, and he is now in his mid 50's. But when the CO would come, he would force himself to go in marathon service days. He'd go all day and spend the next few days in utter pain. I just don't get it. Why put yourself through all that for just a man?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Hey! I knew David Mercante!!! I grew up in a house that my parents bought from his brother Don.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I knew him too. He's an ok guy imo.

• St George of England
    St George of England

"Creative Counting" of meeting attendance at my cong in the weeks leading up to his visit!!

George

• Mary
    Mary
    I never understood why the elders kiss up to the CO so much. Are they trying to get assembly parts or something?

It's the typical hierachy that causes them to kiss up so badly. Just as elders expect MS's to kiss their asses, so the CO expects the same deferential adulation from the elders. The DO's expect the CO's to kiss their asses and so on up the ladder. The Governing Body of course, expects everyone from the R&F to Jesus Christ to kiss their asses.

Plus, the CO can delete whoever he wants as an elder. All you have to do is piss him off and you're history. Since many elders love their power and position, they will do anything to make sure they keep it.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Yeah, I liked him too. He was always really nice to me and always had some crazy experiences to share. We were in the same hall as his sister, so after he would come back from Zone trips he'd hold a special meeting with slides about his trip. I was just a kid at the time, but I remember how exciting they were. Plus, even though all the adults would surround him to talk to him, he'd come up to me and pick me up or get on his knee and talk to me. Nice guy!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Good points Mary. I especially liked:

" The Governing Body of course, expects everyone from the R&F to Jesus Christ to kiss their asses."

How true that is!

P.S - I know it's been covered before, but how do you add quote blocks?

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

its funny when the c/o comes, there is always a flurry of activity. The sec, has to go back and put the records together, having ignored them for the previous six months(hence the calls to the pubs, brother I am missing your time for Tishri and Nisan), the habitually late miraculously show up to the meeting 20 min early, the BOE meets to see who needs the CO shepherding calls the worst. and there is always the clown who gets a haircut right before the co visit just to look sharp.

The c/o reports to the branch always read something like ......

"he brothers are taking an active lead in shepherding with visible results. The friends seem to be responding to the new arrangement for Sunday service. Overall, the congregation has a warm spirit and expressed much hospitality during our visit. An area of concern is the young ones, whom the elders have had to deal with on a judicial level recently. I encouraged the elders to give attention to these issues in upcoming local needs parts."

SIAM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit