Henry II of England, at the death of his
    rebellious son Henry the Young King:
    "He cost me much, but I wish he had
    lived to cost me more." ...

devotion to one's children requires stunning sacrifice

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I didn't know how much I didn't know.

I knew they would have minds of their own, I just never REALLY knew they would have minds of their own. Before my first child was born, I thought my children would be like clay for me to mold.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!

They started molding ME from the word go.

I didn't know they would change my ENTIRE world.

I didn't know how much I would worry.

I didn't know how much would be out of my control.

I didn't know how FAST those 18 years would fly by. Sure, people tell you, but still I just didn't know...

I didn't know how much I could love another person.

• tec
    tec

Oh... I also never thought about faith, or religion - or what I would teach THEM about those things.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

That you'll always worry about them even when they're grown.

How much money it takes to raise a child.

And a lot of the things people mentioned above.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I didn't know that I might be subtracting at least twenty years off of my life span from worrying.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I didn't think that it would take becoming a parent to understand what true love really is.

And I didn't think that it would make me a better Husband, a better person and I certainly didn't think that it would help me find God.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I thought 18 years would last forever - it flew by so fast

The incredible pride and joy and sheer luck I feel for having since incredible daughters (How did I get so lucky?)

The extreme lonliness I felt when they both left for college.

The sheer joy and excitement I feel when they walk through my front door and say "Hey mom, I have missed you! You look great! Do you have any money I can borrow?"

(I wish I could go back 19 years and do it all over again - they were the best years of my life)

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I never thought about the moment they would leave home and how empty I would feel.

I always knew I would love my children no matter what, but I never realised just what that meant until I held them for the first time.

The time my youngest (about 3 yrs old) did a great big trump while sitting on a plastic chair during a meeting (sounded like a motor bike) and looking up at me with such sweetness saying, 'mommy I dunned a pardy'. Priceless........ took about 20 mins for everybody to settle back down.

If you weighed it all up would you do it again..... yeah I think so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit