Ray Franz has had a stroke

by coffee_black 211 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

One in a million, most humble man I ever had contact with. Stroke is a horrible thing to go through and if possible I hope he comes out fine. I've read COC after leaving the cult but he has helped so many and anyone who has ever contacted him knows what a kind man he is. So sad that such good people have to suffer something like a stroke while maggots like GB still are in existence causing misery to millions - where is God here?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

If and when Ray dies, at least he will be able to die with a good conscience.

The leaders of the WTS do not have that luxury.

I’m sure Cynthia is receiving the love and support she needs.

• smiddy
    smiddy

So sorry to hear this,very sad

smiddy

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

"Andy Dufresne Ray Franz- who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side"- The Shawshank Redemption. This quote always reminds me of Ray.

Ray sent me this email in reply to my thanking him for courageously writing what had to be put on paper.

Dear Mike, Thank you for your letter and kind thoughts. As of May 8 I will be 87 and in the year 2000 I suffered what was diagnosed as a moderate stroke, no paralysis resulted but it left me tired and with a reduced energy level. So I am not able to keep up with correspondence as I would like. Crisis of Conscience is now in 13 languages, which brings in more mail. My wife’s health has undergone some serious problems as well, requiring the giving of time in that direction. Cynthia underwent a heart catheterization process which revealed six blockages in her heart. The doctors wanted to do bypass surgery but she opted not to do so. On September of 2007 I underwent a surgical operation on my left carotid artery (one of the main arteries supplying blood to the brain). It took an hour and a half and I was conscious during the operation since only a local anesthesia was applied. The surgeon made about a 5-inch incision in the neck and then opened the artery and cleared out the blockage in it. My right carotid artery became totally blocked causing the stroke in the year 2000 and thus it was important to keep the left open and free of blockage. I only had to spend one night in the hospital, for which I was grateful. The popular use of the term "golden years" certainly does not describe what older age really brings. Ecclesiastes Chapter 12 gives a realistic picture. I hope that things may go well for you and wish you God’s guidance, comfort and strength as you face up to life's problems.
    Sincerely,

Ray

• cattails
    cattails

Thanks Sooner7nc for that quote from Ray. It really shows how sharp he was even at 87 years

and having had a minor stroke already. I love his books and have now read both. They are a help

in understanding that the WT Society isn't God's Channel as they claim, but only a manipulating

religious book publishing and magazine printing corporation that takes advantage of us gullible

people who thought we were getting into paradise by following their lead. Instead Ray's books

helped me to find the real freedom in Christ. May he and his wife feel how loved and cared about

they are from so many people around the world. I hope and pray for peace for him and his family

during this difficult time.

• PEC
    PEC

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Giving myself permission to read CoC was what finally made it for me. I really appreciate the fact that he stood for what he believed and did what his conscience told him was the right thing. For that I am very thankful and hope and pray for the best for him, whatever that might be.

Vivalavida

• crownboy
    crownboy

Wow, this news is beyond sad. For me, Ray's books were the clincher for me realizing I did not want to be a JW.

I actually read ISoCF before CoC. I read both books voraciously, but I felt I really benefited more at the time from ISoCF than CoC. The book made me think about theological issues dealing with JW's in a way I hadn't before. I too wrote Ray a thank you email and got a very gracious and uplifting response. Let's hope against hope for the best.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Rays books and the videos posted on youtube were something I thought about a lot on my way out of captivity.

We all die . I hope God's mercy will spare them the larger parts of pain that the end can bring. I pray that Cynthia has a sense of peace and privilege for having partenered with such a man who helped others who suffered in the WT.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Hope Ray is doing better. We pray for you Cynthia and Ray.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit