Jesus disses corporation-led religion??

by not a captive 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am out of posts for the day.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    These verses show us there was a community of Christians and the Apostles were acknowledged as leaders of the community:
    The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. With great power the apostles bore witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great favor was accorded them all. There was no needy person among them, for those who owned property or houses would sell them, bring the proceeds of the sale, and put them at the feet of the apostles, and they were distributed to each according to need. Acts 4:32-35
    In the next verses, we see the Apostles appointed deacons from among the disciples:
    At that time, as the number of disciples continued to grow, the Hellenists complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. So the Twelve called together the community of the disciples and said, "It is not right for us to neglect the word of God to serve at table. Brothers, select from among you seven reputable men, filled with the Spirit and wisdom, whom we shall appoint to this task, whereas we shall devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word. (Acts 6:1-4)

It would seem that, even then, they had forgotten Jesus' feet washing lesson.

Again, the apostles were supposed to be guides, not authority figures.

Paul never viewed them as such.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Burn

And fulfills it with something greater. An Israel, not of a single nation of people, but of all nations, out of all humanity. The tree has never been cut. Only branches get pruned off, and new ones grafted in.
    Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17)

This is why I say the "Law" and the Jewish religion are not one and the same.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus was the fullfillment of the Law, the law became obsolete with the New Convenant ( Jesus).

In a nutshell, the NC says that Jesus is the Path, the sole path to God, not any person, group, law, collection of doctrines or organization.

Jesus, the sole mediator between ALL and God.

Organized religion as THEY knew it ( sanhedrins for example) and as we know it today ( Vatican, GB as examples), was and is irrelevant.

If believers CHOOSE to organize in fellowship they should, indeed for many it strengthens they faith, but they do NOT have to, nor are they commanded to belong to some earthly organization.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento

If believers CHOOSE to organize in fellowship they should,
    indeed for many it strengthens they faith, but they do NOT have to,
    nor are they commanded to belong to some earthly organization.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 KJV

Tut! Tut!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 KJV

Except this verse is not speaking of religious services. It is speaking of the Jewish lovefests, that many of the Jews still holding to the law were foresaking due to their not acepting those who no longer looked to the Law.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Isaac beat me to it and also, in Paul's time, people meet in each others homes, private services between people that were truly family in all sense fo the word.

No religion that needs a "law" for people to meet up and talk about it or have be in fellowship about it, is worth very much in my book.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    No religion that needs a "law" for people to meet up and talk about it or have be in fellowship about it, is worth very much in my book.

And what book would that be? Clearly not the Bible.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    And what book would that be? Clearly not the Bible.

Nope, the Book Of Paul is much cooler, it has 3d graphics, semi-clad women, gratuitous sex and a coupon for XXX rated DVD "Fallen".

• tec
    tec

I've stayed off this thread until now, because I had to think about how I felt. Mostly because I don't think Jesus dissed religion, persay. Religion just has a bad name today. Burns is right, imo, about Jesus dissing the hypocrites, the wolves, etc... (Corporate institutions that care about the almighty dollar and power/prestige over their flock are the same as the hypocrites Jesus rebuked in the past)

However...

This is where I think contradiction enters into the Christian faith:

Paul does say to gather together, for strength and encouragement. There were deacons and men to oversee the flock. (Overseeing meaning encouraging and serving others, as Jesus did and commanded) Even though there were also wolves among them.

But is that feasible today? Which groups are the witnesses to Christ and which groups are the wolves? How do we know?

Seems that Christianity has turned itself into a 'where' shall we turn, rather than a to 'whom' shall we turn.

So more people are turning to Christ without an affiliation with any organization. Sometimes they gather together, in person or on forums like this one, but they are keeping their faith in Christ and Christ alone. History and personal experiences have taught people that organizations are made of men, and too many of them are not worthy of trust.

All we can do is to do our best to live according to the love and mercy that Jesus taught. And endure until the day that He comes - in whatever form this means.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit