I learned to read with Dick and Jane and Sally. How about you?

by Fatfreek 38 Replies latest jw friends

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Oh yes!!!! Dick Jane Sally Spot and Puff!! I REMEMBER that page with the hat in the tree!! I DO! I think it was daddy coming home or something. But I remember thinking that the kids' skin always looked WET. The artwork had this shiny look to their skin which made them look wet all the time LOL. Funny the stuff you remember. I was born in 54. I do love to read though...so something must have gone right :)

• cantleave
    cantleave

I used "Through the Rainbow2. It started with red book 1 and finished on Gold book 3.

• restrangled
    restrangled

FF, I could read before 1st grade but loved these books.

All A's with Dick, Jane, Spot the dog and Puff the cat.

As I recall, we learned phonetically, but was already ahead of the game, thanks to my mom.

With my own boys, they were watching Sesame Street......a huge plus for the little tykes. My first son's first major words were "Two Balloons" as his Grandpa came in with them. He was just under 2.

r.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

GreenHornet: Wow that brings back memories. Look up up I do remeber that. They were looking at Father behind the bush. Now that is recall memory at work.

Your memory is outstanding, that being the case. I thought Father's hat was on top of that bush.

Len

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

I think that was a first grade reader. Now I am in no grade. How old are you in 1st grade. Now I am 59.

• poppers
    poppers

I entered kindergarten in the fall of 1957 and learned to read with the Dick and Jane series. We had them through 3rd grade. I am a teacher now and I visited my old school a few years ago and pulled a Dick and Jane book off the bookshelf of a 1st grade room and found my name in it. I had it as a 3rd grader. The teacher had kept them for sentimental reasons.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:I learned to read with Dick and Jane and Sally. How about you?

I learned to read with "The Song of Solomon."

"See Solomon run. Run, Solomon, run!"

"See maiden run. See Solomon and maiden run."

"Stop, maiden, stop! No, Solomon. No!"

"See the bed..."

Farkel

• crapola
    crapola

What memories. I have'nt thought of the Dick, Jane & Sally books in years. Wonder where I could get a copy? I'm going on line book shopping!

• milola
    milola

I grew up with Dick JAne and Sally. I also absolutely loved the Box car children series.

• nelly136
    nelly136

the paradise book was the in chidrens book when i was little so by the time i went to school i could read anything they threw at me and i'd finished their whole reading scheme by the time we moved and was on bring your own book, the next infants they put me back to the level all the other kids were reading so school reading wasnt fun anymore.

so at home i chugged through all the famous fives the mallory towers and st clairs naughtiest girls and was onto the nancy drew and any other series i could get my hands on censorship allowing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit