I learned to read with Dick and Jane and Sally. How about you?

by Fatfreek 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I can hardly believe the prices they're getting for pristine copies of those books they handed out to those of us with scalps populated with lice, hands and fingers encrusted with bits of jelly and dried mud. They're getting between $100 and $200 per copy.

Thanks to Google Images, I couldn't resist taking another peek between some of those charming colored pages as a reminder to what we were actually exposed to in trying to make us literate.

Most of these look contemporary to when I went to school -- the 1940's. One of them may go back into the 1930's. Enjoy, Len Miller.

• nelly136
    nelly136

sweet

• jdhf
    jdhf

they're great! We learned during the 70's from Peter and Jane....(books from England ladybird)I loved them. Would love to get copies of them.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.vintageladybird.com/history.html

was it timmy the dog jd? i remember a red setter in them

• leec
    leec

My favorite was an old set of "My Bookhouse" books that my parents had. Like this:

• jdhf
    jdhf

hey nelly...yeah I'm sure it was timmy..don't you think kids tv programmes were better in the 70's too??

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I loved the charm of that old telephone, the one that didn't even have a dial. I've watched old movies where they simply picked up the receiver and tap the cradle switch and tell the operator who they wanted to call. We always had a numbered circular dial and I recall we were on a party line where we shared with some 4 or 8 other customers. Pick up the handset and listen first to see if the line was free. If it wasn't, and mom wasn't watching, listen in to hear some neighborhood secrets.

Len

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I recall seeing those growing up, but I don't have any specific memories of using them to learn to read. I was in elementary school in the 80s, not sure if they were in popular use at that time.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.ladybirdflyawayhome.com/pages/diff_versions.htm this one shows the different eras as they recycled them

mayday....oooh leec pagan fertility stuff i think a lot of the books back then had a stunning picture quality considering the technology they had compared to today.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Whoa, Nelly! What a great link -- those Ladybird books -- to stuff we, in the states, were probably seldom exposed to..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit