email fwd from my mom: utter BS..bet the sheeple eat this crap up and MY REACTION

by SnakesInTheTower 45 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

SNAKES - If an elder tampered with my burning wood in my woodstove- I'd kick his a$$ right into it ! Jerk off elder control freak . I liked OTWO'S come back also ! Very good. Hang in there Snakes

• aniron
    aniron

I've heard and read that illustration from different sources, it was used by a Pentecostal Pastor in our church about 6 months ago.

I have heard it on the radio during "Thought for the day" told by a Rabbi.

Its one of those that verybody uses.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Hey! I heard that story on "Married With Children!" That means it has REALLY made the rounds!

Farkel

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Geez, the elder sounds pretty "cold and dead", too. The "host" should have thrown him in the middle of the fire to get him ablaze!

Although a "moving" story, to me it sounds very contrived, fake. Has anyone else actually tried this? In my experience, a "brightly burning ember" which has been removed from the other logs WILL NOT JUST GO OUT! Unless it was already very wet wood or not burning well to begin with, a hot ember will continue to burn until it burns itself out. Although it could have happened as told in the story, it has typically been my experience that any really glowing embers that fall away on the hearth will continue to burn to ash. And if that ember falls on the carpet, you'd better get off your butt and put it out before the house burns down.

Perhaps it would be more accurate...

The elder made himself at home but said nothing. In the grave silence, he contemplated the dance of the flames around the burning logs. After some minutes, the elder took the fire tongs, carefully picked up a brightly burning ember and placed it to one side of the hearth all alone, then he whipped out his manhood and took a big pee on the chunk of burning wood. Then he sat back in his chair, still silent.

The host watched all this in quiet contemplation. As the one lone ember sizzled for a moment in the yellow puddle and then its fire was no more. Soon it was cold, dead, and very wet.

After a couple of minutes, the elder slowly stood up, picked up the cold, wet, dead ember and placed it back in the middle of the fire. The dripping urine caused the fire to sizzle. After a few moments, the piece of wood began to burn. In a few more minutes, the glowing ember burned itself out and fell as lifeless ash to be swept away and discarded by the host.

Now the host got some fresh logs and stacked them atop the burning logs. Immediately they too began to glow, once more light and warmth was generated by fresh wood as the old embers burned themselves out and were thrown away.

Not a word had been spoken since the initial greeting. The elder glanced at his watch and realized it was time to leave. As the elder reached the door to leave, his host said with a tear running down his cheek, 'Thank you so much for your visit. I'm glad that you understand how I feel that I've been pi$$ed on by the elders, feel completely burnt out, and am glad that you are still able to find new sheeples to go to your stupid meetings on Sunday'.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

My alternate ending:

The householder then set kindling and fresh firewood around the lone ember, and soon it grew into a fire in its own right: warm, bright and cheery. Meanwhile the old fire had burned down to a deep pile of smoking ashes, and soon grew cold. If the householder not added fresh fuel to his ember, the room would have been dark and cold.

GLT

• crapola
    crapola

Those kind of illustrations really make me want to lose my lunch!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

That's an ancient illustration probably found in the earliest Greek philosophy. You could say it about human-beings in general. Our souls get warmer when around other people but we grow cold inside when alone too much. Human nature 101 you could apply to ever person on the planet, not inactive JWs.

At least your mum has maintained some kind of contact.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Rich, your Mom sent you that because she loves you. Look past the tripe of the message and see the love she intends by it. I know maintaining a relationship with her is very important to you. Don't respond to this message in such a way to jeopardize that. If you do so you are allowing this religion to interfere. Ignore the message, see your mom's love, move on and be grateful to have her still in your life, as little as it is.

I know it's hard, you know I have the same issues with my Dad... but any response to the email is only going to open the conversation to areas where neither one of you wins because neither of you is going to convince the other.

Accept your Mom for who and what she is. We all have to come to a point in our lives where we see the faults of our parents. We can choose to dwell on those faults and let them eat us alive or we can choose to love our parents despite those faults. Isn't that the kind of love we hope for? Unconditional? That we can think and believe what we want, make our own choices and, yes, our own errors and still be loved for who we are? Give your Mom that same respect and love. Let her be who she is, forgive her for her faults, see the love behind the asinine message, and relish any amount of a relationship you do have with her. Look around you on this forum at all of those who have no relationship with their parents/children/siblings due to this religion and be grateful for what you do have. Don't let frustration over what amounts to a silly email take that away from you.

Let me know when you want to do lunch again. Tell Toni and Hunter I said hello.

Jackie

• finallysomepride
  • eyeslice
    eyeslice

I too have heard this illustration many times before, and I am sure I have even used it myself.

There is a lot of truth in it though and it is a mechanism used by the WTB&TS to keep its grip on people. If you are at the center, there is lots of activity to keep you 'hot'; field service, meeting parts, lots of association, etc.

What the WTB&TS fail to recognise is that it often themselves who do the cooling by bannishing and cold shouldering members they feel are a threat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit