Copenhagen conference fails.

by BurnTheShips 41 Replies latest members politics

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,668419,00.html

Is China to blame?

In the meantime, the US has lowered it's carbon emissions, even during the evil oilman President years. During that period, Europe's increased, even with cap and trade in place:

Despite American inaction on climate change, emissions dropped in 2006. The AP reports:

The department's Energy Information Administration said Wednesday that preliminary data shows a 1.3 percent decline in the amount of heat-trapping carbon dioxide released in 2006 from energy-related sources, the first decline in 11 years and the biggest decline since 1990. . . .

Whether the decline of 78 million metric tons was an anomaly, or an indicator of something more, was unclear.

The Energy Department report said one reason for the decline was that 2006 had "weather conditions favorable for emission reductions." . . .

In 2006 there was a mild winter that reduced heating degree days by 7.4 percent, and a cooler than normal summer that cut cooling-degree days by 1 percent, both compared to 2005, the agency said. . . .

Carbon dioxide from natural gas declined by 1.7 percent and coal _which accounts for the most carbon emissions per unit of energy produced of any fossil fuel — was down 0.9 percent. Emissions from burning gasoline and diesel increased, but those increases were offset by declines in other petroleum fuels such as heating oil, said the agency.

The reductions resulted in the largest decline in carbon intensity — the amount of emissions related to economic growth — since 1990 with a reduction of 4.5 percent, said the report.

Meanwhile, carbon dioxide emissions increased in the E.U., in part because European governments allocated excess emission credits due to industry pressure. The Guardian reports:

In 2006, industry emitted about 30m tonnes less than permitted. German emissions rose 0.6% while overall EU emissions went up by 1%-1.5% because of resumed growth in the eurozone.

And it has only dropped more since 2006.

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/carbon-emissions-see-big-two-year-drop/

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Energy-related CO2 emissions are only part of the story. And, the article only mentions a relative decline. Absolute numbers show another picture.

Rank Country Annual CO 2 emissions [ 8 ] [ 9 ]
    (in thousands of metric tons)
    Percentage of global total Per Capita [ 10 ]
    (metric ton)
    - World28,431,741100.0 %4.18
    1China6,103,49321.5 %4.57
    2United States [ 11 ]5,752,28920.2 %18.67
    -European Union [ 12 ]3,914,35913.8 %7.84
    3Russia1,564,6695.5 %11.03
    4India1,510,3515.3 %1.29
    5Japan1,293,4094.6 %10.14
    6Germany805,0902.8 %9.82
    7United Kingdom568,5202.0 %9.26
    8Canada544,6801.9 %16.08
    9South Korea475,2481.7 %9.59
    10Italy [ 13 ]474,1481.7 %7.90

File:World CO2 emission by country 2006.svg

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Copenhagen conference fails.

I haven't been keeping up. Was it Bush's fault?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Failure is relative.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

Glad it failed. It was a complete farce.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Since the world is going through a severe economic recession this might be making countries

complacently rigid with making a progressive move in setting a firm position.

Just a thought. There are so many countries that have the majority of their economic wealth tied up

in oil and coal production, that pushing forward to devalue these commodities and to replace these

with other energy sources is like tying to move a 400LB. gorilla out of a room, not a easy task to be sure.

Its all about dollars and cents when it comes down to it, which right now there are few countries that have any

amount to play with.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I haven't been keeping up. Was it Bush's fault?

According to liberal Naomi Klein, Obama is to blame.

There are very few U.S. Presidents who have squandered as many once-in-a-generation opportunities as Barack Obama. More than anyone else, the Copenhagen failure belongs to him. http://www.naomiklein.org/articles/2009/12/obama-no-opportunity-too-big-blow
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I haven't really been keeping up with the conference, I don't think there is anything we can do at this point anyway it is to late from all that i have seen even if we were able to drastically reduce our carbon foot print the warming has already started I think the human species will just have to ride this one out,, and survival of the fittest will cull the population or make our species go extinct either way hey it happens all the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange

'Enjoy life while you can'

Climate science maverick James Lovelock believes catastrophe is inevitable, carbon offsetting is a joke and ethical living a scam. So what would he do? By Decca Aitkenhead

For decades, his advocacy of nuclear power appalled fellow environmentalists - but recently increasing numbers of them have come around to his way of thinking. His latest book, The Revenge of Gaia, predicts that by 2020 extreme weather will be the norm, causing global devastation; that by 2040 much of Europe will be Saharan; and parts of London will be underwater. The most recent Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report deploys less dramatic language - but its calculations aren't a million miles away from his.

As with most people, my panic about climate change is equalled only by my confusion over what I ought to do about it. A meeting with Lovelock therefore feels a little like an audience with a prophet. Buried down a

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

REPUBLICANS - Elevating the Level of Global Discourse - One Ill-informed Senator at a Time (Humorous):

Inhofe gets cool reception in Denmark
    By: Louise Roug
    December 18, 2009 04:34 AM EST

COPENHAGEN — Sen. Jim Inhofe flew across the Atlantic and — on little sleep — braved the snow, the cold and the dark to deliver his skeptical message at the international climate conference.

What he found when he got here: a few aides and a single reporter.

“I think he’s going to be a little disappointed,” one of his aides remarked.

Inhofe was at least impatient.

The ranking Republican on the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee hoped to spread two messages in Copenhagen: Global warming is a hoax, and there’s no way the Senate is going to pass a cap-and-trade bill.

But it was early morning when he arrived at the Bella Center, and the halls were still half-deserted. He walked quickly, brushing off an aide who suggested that he slow down and take a breath.

“I don’t want to breathe — I want to get something done,” he said.

The senator didn’t have any meetings scheduled in Copenhagen, and he did not see chief U.S. negotiator Todd Stern or the members of the House delegation, who were not scheduled to fly in until later in the afternoon.

But Inhofe’s aides eventually rustled up a group of reporters, and the Oklahoman — wearing black snakeskin cowboy boots — held forth from the top of a flight of stairs in the conference media center.

“We in the United States owe it to the 191 countries to be well-informed and know what the intentions of the United States are. The United States is not going to pass a cap and trade,” he said. “It’s just not going to happen.”

A reporter asked: “If there’s a hoax, then who’s putting on this hoax, and what’s the motive?”

“It started in the United Nations,” Inhofe said, “and the ones in the United States who really grab ahold of this is the Hollywood elite.”

One reporter asked Inhofe if he was referring to California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Another reporter — this one from Der Spiegel — told the senator: “You’re ridiculous.”

Inhofe ignored the jab, fielded a few more questions, then raced to the airport for the nine-hour flight back to Washington.

After Inhofe left, some reporters were still a bit confused about what had happened and who he was.

“His name is Inhofe,” a German journalist told a Japanese reporter, “but I don’t know if it’s one or two f’s.”

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

His name is Inhofe,” a German journalist told a Japanese reporter, “but I don’t know if it’s one or two f’s.”

lmao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit