"Boys today -- Men tomorrow", my xmas erectile set. Your best gift?

by Fatfreek 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• agonus
    agonus

Construx. Hands down, no contest.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Today I am an Engineer. . . . in spite of the collective mentallity.
    Good for you, Locutus. Looks like a 13 year difference, you and me. I retired 7 years ago as Mfg Tool Designer with Lockheed Martin here near Camden. Yes, perhaps that erector set helped the both of us.

My best gift was Christmas with my Mom, Dad and older sister.
    Sorry to hear you don't have that, PSac. Two of my three boys have shunned me for some 30 years.

Len

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Construx. Hands down, no contest.

If that's the Fisher-Price set you're talking about -- wow. That is sophisticated.

That was introduced (Wiki) in 1983. Thirty years makes a difference.

Nowadays, the majority of toys seems to sap the creativity of the child, not nurture it.

Len

• agonus
    agonus

"Two of my three boys have shunned me for some 30 years."

Jesus H. Christ...

If I were you, I'd tell them to act their age.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

If I were you, I'd tell them to act their age.

Before I joined up here nearly 5 years ago, I took their shunning personal. I've learned, thanks to countless experiences here, that their behavior is fairly standard. It's unfortunate that the Society's punitive measures (which they obviously accept, subscribe to, and sanction) are so drastic but they may now be paying the price in parts of Russia and France(?).

I'm not excusing them by any means but will welcome them (and my grandkids) in my arms at any time. But at the same time, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the phone or doorbell to ring.

Len

• agonus
    agonus

Well, you're probably right about it not being personal. Ignorant, cowardly, idiotic behavior isn't usually personal, it's just business.

And that's all the WT is, really. Nothing personal, just business.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

A Mrs. Beasley doll.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Mrs. Jones, thanks for the memory! My daughter loved hearing me read that book to her, back when she couldn't read for herself. No time was better spent than reading to her at bedtime.

Fatfreek, my best Christmas gift as a kid was what every boy my age wanted: my first real bike (without training wheels). I had arrived, now I was one of the Big Kids! There were other good gifts in other years, but that red bike was the best.

GLT

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember Christmas of 1968 vaguely as being special (though I do not remember what gifts I got that year). Also, 1971 was quite big--as was 1973 (I remember the transistor radio, and the good music they still played back at the end of 1973, quite well). I also remember Christmas 1978 when I got quite a few of the new electronic toys, including a pinball game based on the then-new electronic calculators. Christmas in college was never all that special, because I had to go back home and it was a hassle there.

Then, the witlesses pulled the plug on the whole thing.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

With mom and dad, Our last Christmas was in 1955. I was especially proud of the Acme western boots my oldest brother sent me from Texas where he was stationed in the air force.

My dad had already discovered some JW books in the spare room of our $5 per week cold water flat. He proceeded to subscribe to the WT magazine from an ad in the back of that yellow book, something like "What Has Religion Done for Mankind". It was downhill from there.

Len

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit