"The way of the truth is the best way of living. No better way can there be found."

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• watson
    watson

Just an observation, and apologies if this is the wrong place for it.

One of the traits I see in most that are drawn to the Watchtower Organization is "the need to be right." Being right is so important to them that they give up virtually all that is natural to become part of the org. Sad to say, I can still see this trait among many of the "apostates" that post here.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

maybe thats a weak human trait, but I and many others on here do say sorry when in the wrong, so its not a overall case i wouldnt have thought.

• watson
    watson

Maybe is should have put it this way: "The all consuming need to be right." It has a real separating effect.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Very good observation Watson.

One of the things I've noticed between the Kingdom Halls and churches are that the KH's are uniform in their worship and structure. They do have also a strict adherrence to biblical principles (at least their interpretation of Bible principles). However, they also have conformity and squash independent thought.

I find myself at odds with my wife because it seems like no matter what I say, if it does not harmonize with or is in any way critical of the org, I am wrong and my thinking gets labeled as "Gary-ism."

I also find myself having a difficult time finding a church where everyone worships so uniformly like in the KH's. In fact, I am finding myself challenged on views and traditions based on the Bible that I learned and believed in that originated from the fundamentalist churches that I use to attend. Overall, though, I think it is a good thing and it is certainly making me think.

Chalam (Stephen) could certainly attest to some 'disagreements' we had concerning the gift of tongues. This is the similar to what goes on in churches too over this and other Bible teachings, but the difference is that this is allowed and the Bible alone is appealed to for final authority.

I wonder how many active Jehovah's Witnesses can discuss disagreement concerning Watchtower teachings without fearing the dreaded 'apostate' label?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That is a valid point Watson, however we need to be careful. Sometimes one person is wrong and another person is right. Not all shades of opinion are equal, nor are all positions deserving of respect.

I agree that it's good not be dogmatic but I will defend vigorously a position that can be proven as 'right'. Can you believe that I've had posters here defending the absurd position that 1+1 can equal 3?

I'm sure angel eyes would never be so naive as to fall into that trap though . . . .?

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

nicolaou...you are RIGHT! did you have the need to be right? lol

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

So angel eyes, do you accept that 1+1 can never equal 3?

careful now . . .

(out for drinks and dinner - see you all later)

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm it could equal 14? Hmmmmmmmmm

lol..high five to ya hun :)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    alltime jeff, thats the words to the song.
    ".....sing with me :)"

AE, I believe that the sackarin sweet "sing with me :)" (tee hee) was what offended me. I haven't noticed any fellow JW's here on this board that you associate with. May I suggest inviting them next time, as I am pretty sure those of us who left smile at each opportunity they don't have to sing that crud again......

Nicolaou, I apologize for not addressing your points more directly. It certainly isn't lost on anyone here who were formerly JW's that "the way of the truth" is always represented as "the best way of living."

Thus, it is very hard to convince our family members that it in fact, is the last way from healthy living. Being a JW adds a minimum of 15-20 hours worth of time to ones schedule, and that is so stressful in our day and age, esp for full time workers and students. (I'll admit, it gives old opinionated people something to do.... So does Scrabble)

One thought I had as I read your initial thoughts were that there are none so blind as those who will not see. To be blunt is to be the same as being tactful where JW's are concerned. Until a person is ready to consider the evidence, and be honest, take responsibility for their own selves spiritually and otherwise, there really isn't a whole lot that you can do.

I tried once with my Dad, who is still nominally a JW. But I thought in my case, it was rather selfish of me to try to take that away from him. If I were to do that, and show him everything, and literally demand that he stop, what would he have to fall back on?

Yes, my Dad's faith as a JW is based on a lie. Yes, it messed up a lot of stuff in our family. But at this late date, its all that he has.

Now don't get me wrong. If we ever again talk of religion or JW's, I will always be honest. But my desire in that case would not be to have any motives regarding him, but to be true to myself. Thats all.

I certainly hope that you will figure out an effective way to help your mum. Parents do become a bit like our kids the older we get sometimes. (sometimes, not all the time...)

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I once heard a public talk, back a while, where an elder tried to explain why many JWs suffer depression. He said it's the pressures of the Satanic system we live in! Because it couldn't possibly be anything else, could it, if you're talking to a Witness.

However, I found for myself that it's the pressure of trying to live a lifestyle that has little bearing or relevence to the 21st century, and also, trying to be impossibly "good", as well as lots of criticism, disguised as "counsel" from others who are trying to do the same.

I'm much happier without "The way of the truth", lol.

Besides, it's not "the truth". Easily disproven once you get rid of the constant brainwash, also known as "Faithfully studying the Watchtower and the WTS publications". It's always that, never "Study the Bible and ". I think that used to be more emphasized, but it probably lost them a few over the years, so enough of that!

The final straw for me was asking to study the Bible on it's own with a Witness, and being refused. "Only if we study specific articles that will help you be a productive Witness again, will I study with you." was my answer.

Yeah...because without that, there's no brainwashing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit