"The way of the truth is the best way of living. No better way can there be found."

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• chickpea
    chickpea

winston churchill said it like this:

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject

sound like a JW to anyone besides me?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    (My apologies if any of you suffered a gag reflex there.)

Peace to you, dear Nicolau! While it is understandable that regurgitating ANY of their "stuff"... whether it is accompanied by a melody or not... could make one feel very nauseous... what literally made me gag was:

"Even if the Society are wrong about some things or even if they are completely wrong and it isn't 'the Truth'I would still stay in..."

Sorry, no offense to you or your mum... but statements like this really do effect me physically... albeit briefly. I SO wish your mum understood what she is saying: living with a LIE... and even one in reference to GOD... is the BEST way of living... no matter what. Of course, you could always ask her, "If you've never lived any other way of life, mum, how can you know?" And no, her "former" life (assuming she had one before the WTBTS), is not the ONLY "Way." Then perhaps point her to John 14:6 ("I am the Way..., etc.").

Again, peace to you!

Your servant... and your mum's... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• garyneal
    garyneal

AGuest certainly has a point and it looks like you touched on it yourself in your first point. If anyone is willing to live a lie because it is comfortable then I can hardly see how Jesus Christ would be okay with that. Especially if that lie hurts other people.

I can understand how Christians disagree about certain teachings (tongue speaking, prophecying, can salvation can be lost, etc.) but the difference between Christians and the Watchtower is that Christians can agree to disagree on peripheral doctrines. The Watchtower promotes an all or nothing (take it or leave it) approach to their doctrines and disfellowships anyone who disagrees with even a single piece of it (say 1914).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

TRUTH should matter to a J W because , unlike some religions, it is a concept that depends upon reasoning and a convincing argument.

No truth, you have nothing...A statement such as this is just the same as the ones that they deride from other religions. "My religion is good enough for me, thank you"

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    (My apologies if any of you suffered a gag reflex there.)

I did, but your apology is accepted.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I would also add a fourth point to your list. Many JWs have never lived as anything other than a JW. How can they say something is the best way of living, when they have no basis for comparison?

• villabolo
    villabolo

"Even if the Society are wrong about some things or even if they are completely wrong and it isn't 'the Truth' I would still stay in because it's the best way of living."

I would tell my mom, "Mom, you're selfish, hypocritical and a blaspheming worshipper of men." (And yes, I had a nice mom, thank you)

villabolo

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

i LOVE that song...yay

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The best way of living?

Sure, until you slice an artery. Or a relative decides to leave the borg. Or your child turns out to be gay.

It's probably the best way of living if you just happen to be a straight male with ambitions to become a window cleaner and to brown nose your way to eldership. Of course, all of this could have been true of you in 1978 when you died from kidney failure and couldn't have a transplant.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    "The way of the truth is the best way of living.
    No better way can there be found."
    i LOVE that song...yay

Except that when "truth" is not true, then this would correctly be phrased "The way of the delusion" -

... even if they are completely wrong and it isn't 'the Truth' I would still stay in because it's the best way of living."

and - this proves it in the attitude of many witnesses. We have all heard versions of the above, many times from elders. It is one of the favorite lines they dump on a person when they sense you are leaving them on grounds of doctrinal conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit