Ok have you ever been asked this question in regards to Isaiah 43:10 ?

by StoneWall 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

How could God have always existed since it plainly says near the end of that verse before me there was no God formed?

Here is the quote from the NWT and I also looked it up on numerous other translations and they all used the word before.

Isaiah 43:10

“YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may

know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed,

and after me there continued to be none.

The word before carries the connotation of in advance; in front; ahead.

It would seem to suggest a time period of being before God that there was no other.

Wouldn't it have been more consistent to say that there has never been another God other than me instead of before me?

Especially if you were wanting to show people that you had always been.

Anyhow whats your take on this scripture and its wording or choice of words?

Regards,

StoneWall

• glenster
    glenster

I think it's just an expression that means there was no before or after Him because to take the reasoning of the question about "before" to the word "after" would mean He stopped existing for there to be an after. So I think it's implying there's neither (also that He's God with no valid other "god").

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I believe that Jehovah's existence in time is like a number line with arows both left (into the past, no beginning) and right (into the future, no end). It is Hebrew language construction for the period. Jehovah is the only God Almighty throughout time and eternity, from Jehovah's perspective. As the Creator of all the spiritual and material in the Universe, only Jehovah fits this excellent description of his Almightiness.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Isa 43:10 "You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me. 11 "I, even I, am the LORD, And there is no savior besides Me. 12"It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, And there was no strange god among you; So you are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And I am God. 13 "Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?"

• awildflower
    awildflower

Could it be talking about Jesus?..........wf

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

how would that work, wf?

• awildflower
    awildflower

I don't know. Maybe it means Jesus here because it sounds like this God had a beginning, that would fit Jesus more and not Almighty God. Then it says "you are my Witnesses". Most Christians focus on witnessing about Jesus. Then the part "there is no savior besides me", all Christians know that Jesus is their savior. These are just simple thoughts. I haven't even taken my Bible out and read the context of it and believe me I'm not trying to start something here. Just thinking outloud. I'm sure I'm way off!..........wf

• Chalam
    Chalam

Could it be talking about Jesus?..........wf

how would that work, wf?

Yes, the verse is talking about Jesus.

No "god" was formed before the Father, Jesus was not created but is eternal, He always existed and always will. See here

Revelation 22:12-16 (New International Version)

12 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

14 "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

16 "I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star."

Now cross reference with these verses

Revelation 1:8 (New International Version)

8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

Revelation 1:17-18 (New International Version)

17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Revelation 21:6-7 (New International Version)

6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

John 4:13-14 (New International Version)

13 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

So come on in and drink!

Revelation 22:17 (New International Version)

17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

All the best,

Stephen

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Thanks for giving me your answer, wf. This verse is actually where JWs get their name from. You may remember that LORD is a reminder that the Jews still pronounce YHWH as if it reads Adonai, the Hebrew word for Lord. So, LORD (found in the NASB) and Jehovah (found in the NWT) mean the same thing. I don't know which version/ translation of the Bible you use now, but I think you'll figure out what it means by reading the context of it (like you talk about yourself). By the way, there's a PM from me to you, wf

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Spike,

Thanks for giving me your answer, wf. This verse is actually where JWs get their name from.

Haven't you heard? Jesus came and died so we live by the New Testament now, not the old. Are you sacrificing rams and bulls over there?!

I follow Jesus and His words. When He left He said to be His witness, not His Father's so I am :)

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit