space.com dates Noah's flood to 2350 B.C.

by aChristian 251 Replies latest jw friends

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

a Christian,

As far as the six literal days you have to exegete the passage with this in mind whets was the authors intention? Now Moses was the Author of the first 5 books of the bible. IMHO sir, I believe Moses was talking about 6 literal days. If you go to the 4th commandment in Ex. 20:7 Moses is speaking of a weekly Sabbath rest in 7 literal days then he brings the creation account into context in relating the weekly Sabbath to creation.

Second, The Holy Spirit never goes beyond nor contradicts scripture. The Holy Spirit always points us in the direction of the HISTORIC REDEMPTIVE acts of Christ in old and New Testaments for example go to the second half of Luke 24 in the post-resurrection account of Christ and His decuples on the Ameaus Road.

Blessings,
    jr

• larc
    larc

clash,

I would have to assume that you believe the flood happened just the way it says. Noah put hundreds thousands of species in a boat about half the size of our largest freighters along with enough food to last for 11 months. Is that how it happened? He and his three sons built this boat with hand tools and harvested all the food needed for the trip with hand tools as well. How much time did all that take?

• aChristian
    aChristian

Clash,

I appreciated the fact that you preceded your comments with "IMHO" (in my humble opinion). In this matter your humble opinion and my humble opinion are at odds. Not that it really matters. I'm sure you will agree that all who truly put their faith in Christ will be saved, both those of us who believe the creative "days" of Genesis were each only 24 hours long and those of us who believe they were probably much longer.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

aChristion said:
    "I appreciated the fact that you preceded your comments with "IMHO" (in my humble opinion). In this matter your humble opinion and my humble opinion are at odds. Not that it really matters. I'm sure you will agree that all who truly put their faith in Christ will be saved, both those of us who believe the creative "days" of Genesis were each only 24 hours long and those of us who believe they were probably much longer."

At that point redemption in Christ is the most important thing brother. We can agree to disagree in Christian love and charity. I pray that you will continue to grow in Christ and that you belong to a good bible believing christian church. And keep me acountable while I'm on this board that I'm charitable(trying to be in most cercomstanses), and Christ Centered in my dealing...

Semper Reformade(always reforming to the word of God),

jr

• larc
    larc

clash,

Since the thread had a theme, re: Noah, I wondered if you could address the questions I asked. In your own words please. If you want to provide information from someone else, could you provide a link, rather than cut and paste a long message. This is considered standard protocal, and for you to do otherwise would be UnChristian.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    It says "earth" not "planet" was covered. Earth as in the land of the Middle/Near East or even more localized is a possibility the Bible itself does not preclude. Don't put words in the Bibles mouth that others try to put there.

Of course, the word translated "earth" here and usually translated "earth" can also mean "ground" or "land" and the word translated "mountains" could mean "hills" even though it's normally and properly translated "mountains" and "all the living creatures", "every living thing that I have made", "the surface of the entire earth", "everything that lives" etc. could possibly be translated in a more "local" way, but they rarely if ever are. The most accurate translations suggest a global flood. Certainly, from just reading the verses as translated in most bibles, the only conclusion possible is that it's referring to a global flood. The only reason for suggesting otherwise is that, in reality, there definitely was not a global flood. Of course, there was no local flood as described in Genesis either, making the whole argument moot.

--
    "The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794.

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

To get me to believe the bible is talking about a local flood AChristian is going to have give a better explanation as to why Noah took birds onto the Ark.

• AlanF
    AlanF

To aChristian:

Let me try to answer some of the questions and problems you've raised. I will point out one major gripe I have with the sort of ad hoc attempt at explanation that this "meteor theory" is: By setting forth the material that COJ posted last year alongside the material from your linked "meteor theory" website and other stories, you've set forth two mutually exclusive and contradictory hypotheses. COJ's material points out evidence that a massive flood drowned the entire southern end of Mesopotamia around 3500 B.C. (actually the evidence for this is rather poor), whereas your material here claims that different evidence indicates 2350 B.C. and entirely different causes. Doesn't that bother you? It only makes you appear to be grasping at straws.

Yes, it's interesting that tree ring methods and perhaps traces in mythology indicate a major climate-altering event around 2350 B.C. But it's a long road from there to a set of evidence that supports Noah's Flood -- even a local flood. As the article you posted from, "The Dark Ages: Were They Darker Than We Imagined" by Greg Bryant said, there were a number of periods of low tree ring growth, possibly accompanied by "dark ages". It may or may not be that some of these events were precipitated by meteor/comet impacts. However, some events have been shown to be almost certainly caused by volcanic eruptions. For example, there was a massive eruption of the Aegean island Santorini, generally dated to the vicinity of 1620 to 1650 B.C. (cf http://www.geo.aau.dk/palstrat/tom/santorini_homepage/minoaneruption.htm , http://library.thinkquest.org/C0112681/Eng/Normal/Volcanoes_World/Accounts/Santorini.htm ), which may well have caused the collapse of the Minoan civilization which lived on it and surrounding islands, as well as caused a major setback for other civilizations in the vicinity. The article said that there was an environmental shock found by tree ring methods around 1628-1623 B.C., which is pretty close. Other more recent volcanic events, such as the 1815 eruption of Tambora in Indonesia, created documented climate changes that lasted a year or more.

The point about these "meteor theories" of climate change is that they're far more speculative than other theories of climate change. That doesn't mean they're less valid, just less documented. There are other documented episodes of climate change that affected civilizations greatly, but lasted long periods of time, and they certainly were not caused by a specific catastrophe, but by long-term and yet-undetermined causes. Such an episode is the long period of warm weather from roughly 700 to 1300 A.D., followed by the Little Ice Age for another 400 or so years. The latter, by the way, was apparently related to sunspots, because hardly any were observed during the entire time. This climate change also appeared in tree ring data, where the usual 22-year cycle disappeared during that time.

The two articles you posted or posted links to have a certain sensationalism to them. The original material is more conservative and more informative. The original material posted by the "64th Annual Meteoritical Society Meeting (2001)" can be found in pdf format here (note that this will take awhile to load), http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2001/pdf/5196.pdf , and in html format here, http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:Gt4gSGtNbuc:www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2001/pdf/5196.pdf+geology+iraq+recent&hl=en . The pdf document contains a Landsat picture of the roughly circular structure of interest. A picture map of the location can be found here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/564185/posts .

The original material gives some interesting information. For one thing, the coast (which is rather fuzzy because it's hard to define because of the marshy conditions) has migrated seaward some 130-150 km, and possibly more, according to some websites. That puts the circular structure very near the coast, and perhaps a little out in the Persian Gulf, of 2350 B.C. In any case, the water in which the hypothetical meteor strike occurred could have been no more than a few meters deep, which means that relatively little flooding would have occurred inland. There simply was not enough water at or near the coast to flood a large inland region to the required depth (according you your 'best' scenario) for the better part of a year. Note that Baghdad is about 350 km. from the site of the circular depression, and is 34 m. above sea level (cf. Encyclopedia Britannica). A rough estimate from a standard relief map of Iraq suggests that a width of roughly 120 km. along the Tigris-Euphrates valley is below the 34 m. mark. According to the scenario you've suggested for Noah's Flood, and somewhat according to that suggested by COJ, approximately that volume, at a bare minimum, would have to be filled with water in order to cause Noah's Flood. That works out to about 715 cubic km. Now, the "circular depression" is about 3.4 km. in diameter. If we generously allow (actually this is ridiculously generous because a strike that leaves a crater in a certain depth of water cannot displace more than a few times more than a volume of water equal to the diameter times the depth; see below) that a meteor strike displaced a volume of water 10 times the volume of a sphere the same diameter, that works out to about 21 cubic km. -- which is 33 times less than the volume of water needed to flood a conservative volume from the ancient coast to Baghdad -- which would just barely reach the latter. Thus, there is simply not nearly enough water to do the job. If we now do a ridiculously conservative calculation and assume that the Flood was just a puddle 25 km in diameter and 21 m. (30 cubits) deep (that's allowing 15 cubits for 1/2 the height of the ark, and "high mountains" 15 cubits in height), that works out to a Flood volume of 41 cubic km. -- still not enough for an impact to flood the land. Finally, if we do a more realistic calculation of the maximum volume of strike-displaced water, according to what I described above, using a diameter of 3.4 km, depth of 20 m. and fudge factor of 10, we get about 1.8 cubic km. of displace water. So no matter how you look at it, given reasonable and very conservative assumptions and given what we know about the geology of the region, there is simply no way a meteor strike could have caused Noah's Flood by displacing water in a splash.

What about "the vast springs of the watery deep"? Whatever the Bible means by that, we certainly do not know. Many have speculated that it meant some sort of vast underground water reservoir of some sort. You yourself postulated ground water coming up through a cracked earth's crust. Anewperson spoke of the earth's crust cracking open and apparently referred to water coming up from the earth's mantle. Neither scenario comes close to being realistic. First, ground water is not some sort of giant underground lake just waiting to spurt forth if overlying soil and rock is somehow removed. It is water that percolates through sand and gravel, or through cracks in bedrock, and it is physically impossible for quantities massive enough to flood a volume as described above to just shoot out of the ground. If you disagree, then postulate a physically plausible theory of how it might happen. Similarly, while the earth's mantle contains massive quantities of water, the water is dissolved in the magma and is held at some 1100 degrees Celsius and at extremely high pressure. When pressure is released, as in a large volcanic eruption, the water simply explodes out of the magma just as if you pulled the lid off a giant pressure cooker containing water at 1100 degrees. Steam is created, not a flood of water. As an excercise, see if you can calculated just how much water-containing magma would have to be erupted to cause a flood big enough to be Noah's. Then tell our readers where all that magma and such disappeared to since 2350 B.C.

Another problem is containing the Flood waters. Suppose that part of your scenario is right, and that the trough between the Arabian peninsula and Zagros mountains in which the Tigris-Euphrates valley sits somehow got filled with enough water to be Noah's Flood. Just how would the water keep from running southeast right down the river valley and into the Persian Gulf? The only way would be for some kind of damn to form somewhere around the southeast end of the valley. But how could it form? The geology of the area suggests that the present low-lying land has been low-lying for a lot longer than since 2350 B.C. Obviously the land at the Gulf end is right at sea level, so even using the above absolute minimum of about 20 m. depth for the Flood, you'd need a dam at least that high and long enough to cross the entire valley -- at least 100-150 km. Is there any evidence for such a damn? Not a bit. How about throwing up a temporary dam by a meteor strike? Could a strike that leaves a crater 3.4 km across somehow throw up an earthen dam 100-150 km long? No. So there is simply no way to contain any water that might have been splashed up into the Tigris-Euphrates valley. It would run off into the Gulf in at most a few days, which in no way corresponds to the biblical account. COJ and I discussed this, partly on H2O and largely via email. Due to time constraints I was not able to continue our discussion, but this was one problem he was never able to deal with.

The original "circular depression" material in pdf format pointed out that the depression was filled with a lake until Saddam Hussein's troops drained the area for military purposes in 1993. Interestingly, the depression has some sort of rim around it (the height and characteristics are not specified), which may well suggest that the feature is an impact crater. I seriously doubt it, though, because if a huge 3.4 km crater were formed just 4350 years ago, and most of the crater were filled in by floodplain sediments since then, then a rim would hardly have survived. I think that the depression will be found to have been formed by other causes.

One of the biggest holes in any theory trying to connect the circular depression with a specific time period is that no one has actually connected the timing of formation of the depression with about the year 2350 B.C. The original pdf material only says that "Recent" sediments are less than 5000 years old. The space.com article you linked to said that some unspecified "Biblical stories, apocalyptic visions, ancient art and scientific data all seem to intersect at around 2350 B.C" but gave no solid particulars and ignored a number of very real problems in dating such things so precisely. For example, the Epic of Gilgamesh is variously dated as having originated anywhere from 2200 to 3500 B.C. And the article specifically stated: "Arriving at an exact date will be difficult, researchers said." So in reality there is nothing connecting this circular depression with any ancient events except speculation that "could provide a smoking gun." The London "Telegraph" blurb went rather out on a limb not only by calling the depression a "crater" prematurely, but by implying that the dating of the "crater" was a good deal more established than the original report said.

So as usual when people are trying desperately to support a cherished idea for which little or no evidence exists, we find far more speculation than fact, and a willingness by many commentators to take the conclusions much further than is justified by the facts.

At this point, aChristian, I'll address some of the specific comments and questions you asked in your last post to me:

: Obviously I don't have all the answers.

Nor do I, but as I pointed out above, you're grasping at anything at all to support your desire, whether what you grasp is consistent with other things you grasp.

: My primary point in starting the thread, as you can see from its title, is that I find the tree ring dating of a major climate altering event, such as a large meteor impact, in 2350 B.C. quite interesting.

But as you can see for yourself, no large meteor impact has been dated to that year. The only connection is extremely speculative, and is a result of assuming that an unproved impact occurred at the same time that an apparent climate change occurred. The hole here is that other events could just as well have caused the climate changes. But neither you nor the sources you cited said anything about that. You just made assumptions.

: For that is the exact date that Bible chronology provides us with for Noah's flood.

Not necessarily. Those great lights John Whitcomb and Henry Morris pointed out in their 1961 book The Genesis Flood that the so-called Bible chronology actually has a lot of slop in it. There is no way to tell, for example, if the various "begats" referred exclusively to a father-son relationship, or sometimes to an ancestor-descendent relationship. Whitcomb and Morris gave a number of examples of problems in accepting the sort of linear dating that the Watchtower Society and Bishop Ussher used.

: How a meteor impact could have caused a flood like the one described in Genesis is not clear.

I have shown quantitatively that it is impossible.

: Your suggestion that "such a large disaster could easily have given rise to a Flood Myth," but could not account for a flood in which "all the high mountains were covered for nearly half a year," certainly seems to be a reasonable one.

It is not just reasonable, it is definitive. Look over the above calculations and see how conservative I was in making them.

: Keep in mind, however, that advocates of a local flood point out that the expression "high mountains" should be translated "high hills" and refers only to the hills in a portion of southern Iraq, which are not all that "high" now and were even less "high" then.

Do you really think that "all the high mountains" refers to hills not more than 20 feet high? If you use a realistic figure, the 'meteoric local flood theory' only gets worse.

: Though you seem absolutely certain that no large flood even vaugely fitting the description of the one described in Genesis could have been caused by a meteor impact, others evidently are not so sure, as evidenced from the contents of the space.com article.

I haven't read space.com before, but if this article is representative of what they normally put out, I'm not going to start reading it. The article fairly screams of sensationalism, quite in contrast with the original Meteorical Society article.

: Do you really know what may or may not have resulted from such an impact?

To a certain extent, yes, as I have described above. Physics and geology place certain limits on what is possible. You can't make a tiny volume of splash water fill a huge geological basin. You can't make ground water fill it either.

: Could it have cracked the earth's crust causing ground water to rise to the surface for several months before draining into the Persian Gulf?

No, for reasons I described above. Also, any water that you postulate might have come out of the ground would have caused a commensurate sinking of the land, i.e., 10 meters of water comes out on the land and the land would of necessity drop 10 meters. If the water then ran off into the Gulf, the land would remain sunken by an amount equal to the depth of the flood. Drainage patterns would be drastically changed, and there is no evidence whatsoever that drastic changes in drainage patterns have occurred in the Tigris-Euphrates valley in the last 5000 years. Keep in mind that Baghdad is only 34 meters above sea level, and so a flood only half that depth that caused a commensurate impact on the level of the land in the entire region would have a major effect.

: Could it have caused several volcanic erruptions which spewed vast amounts of water vapor into the atmosphere?

Perhaps, but where is the evidence? Are there any volcanos in the region today? Not that I'm aware of. A volcano big enough to do what you'd like, near enough to be created by a meteor strike, would certainly exist today. Further, for reasons I explained above, the water vapor would come out as superheated steam and would dissipate rapidly. There's no way it would sit above a small region and just start precipitating.

: Could it have caused other flood producing effects you and I are not now aware of?

Who knows? Why not just say, "God did it" and leave it at that? When you get to this level of desperation in grasping for 'answers', you might as well hang it up.

: I don't know. But the fact of the matter is that tree ring studies now date a very significant climate altering event, such as a large meteor impact or several such impacts, to 2350 B.C., the same date the Bible indicates Noah's flood took place.

As I've shown, this stuff is completely speculative and the events are connected mainly by a desire to see one.

In sum, I don't see any reason that a particular large event, even a meteor impact, couldn't have given rise to a Flood myth. It's just that no evidence has yet surfaced that is both consistent with the details of the biblical story and with solid science.

AlanF

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Are you serious?

Most of you are falling into the trap of assuming "earth" and "world" always refer to the entire planet. When that misconception is straightened out, science and the Bible tend to meld.
    Yeah, if we ignore that the Bible is VERY scientific... NOT.

Let me see; In the Genesis account the Bible says there were waters above and waters below. If this were so (it's not really that possible with physics), the atmospheric pressure on the surface would be massively higher. Ever 10m of water, I believe, would increase atmospheric by 14 lbs/sq inch, or whatever the Imperial/American measurement of atmpsheric pressure at sea level is.

So, if we said there's enough water in the cloud canopy to cover the Earth to a depth of 9000 meters, atmospheric pressure would be 19,000 times as much as it is now. It would make Venus look like a pleasent planet to live on.

What else? Oh, yeah, creative days are all screwed up, even if you allow for the use of the progressive form when refering to creating the luminaries. Whales are created before the land animals that we know, from the fossil record, are their ancestors, which is impossible.

There's loads more.

This is getting increasingly like the ugly sisters in Cinderella; no matter how hard they try to squeeze their fat Biblical feet into the glass slipper of science, IT WON'T FIT!!!

Hereafter this is dubbed the 'Ugly Sister Syndrome'.

The Bible obviously isn't inspired. Nor is any other holy book. They all have errors in them, and if the err on the nature of the world they describe, how can we assume that they are accurate in the theological theories they put forth? They are collections of myths. They might have really beautiful words and ideas in them at various point, and that's what we should take away. End of story. Leave the blood-drenched tribal dieties and silly stories in the past where they belong.

Whether the fact holy books are only holy because people say they are, rather than because they come, in some way, from god, whether this means god doesn't exist, I think we each have to decide.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• aChristian
    aChristian

For those who may be interested, a map at this link shows the location of the alleged crater: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/564185/posts

And the entire London Telegraph article, complete with a picture of the alleged "meteor crater" may be seen here: http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2001%2F11%2F04%2Fwmet04.xml

Some interesting excerpts:

The draining of the region, as part of Saddam's campaign against the Marsh Arabs, has since caused the lake to recede, revealing a ring-like ridge inside the larger bowl-like depression - a classic feature of meteor impact craters.

The crater also appears to be, in geological terms, very recent. Dr Master said: "The sediments in this region are very young, so whatever caused the crater-like structure, it must have happened within the past 6,000 years."

Reporting his finding in the latest issue of the journal Meteoritics & Planetary Science, Dr Master suggests that a recent meteor impact is the most plausible explanation for the structure.

A survey of the crater itself could reveal tell-tale melted rock. "If we could find fragments of impact glass, we could date them using radioactive dating techniques," he said.

A date of around 2300 BC for the impact may also cast new light on the legend of Gilgamesh, dating from the same period. The legend talks of "the Seven Judges of Hell", who raised their torches, lighting the land with flame, and a storm that turned day into night, "smashed the land like a cup", and flooded the area.

Alan,

First off, thanks for the links. Next, thanks for all your feedback. I always enjoy reading your comments. I'll try to respond to some of what you had to say, though my time is pretty short today.

You wrote: By setting forth the material that COJ posted last year alongside the material from your linked "meteor theory" website and other stories, you've set forth two mutually exclusive and contradictory hypotheses. COJ's material points out evidence that a massive flood drowned the entire southern end of Mesopotamia around 3500 B.C. (actually the evidence for this is rather poor), whereas your material here claims that different evidence indicates 2350 B.C. and entirely different causes.

I disagree. I have discussed this subject matter with COJ at length and he has said that the 3500 B.C. dating was extremely tenuous. Thus I believe the evidence which points to a massive flood drowning the entire southern end of Mesopotamia at about that time may have been deposited in the year 2350 B.C., the date tree ring studies indicate a major environmental disturbance occurred. Besides, Carl has, as far as I am aware, never addressed the possible cause of Noah's flood, other than to say it included a major inundation from the Persian Gulf. I believe a meteor impact having the force of "hundreds of hydrogen bombs," as has been said of an impact large enough to create a crater the size of the one discovered in southern Iraq, may well have caused such an inundation. How? I believe the Epic of Gilgamesh may provide the answer. It tells us that at the time of the flood, "One whole day the tempest raged, gathering fury as it went, it poured over the people like the tides of battle." This certainly seems to me like a reference to a series of tidal waves which such an impact may well have triggered. However, if Noah lived far enough inland from the Gulf he would not have been hit by the force of those waves but his land may still have been drowned by the water they contained.

I have asked Carl to add to this discussion if he has the time and anything else that he feels may be of interest to say on the subject.

You wrote: Another problem is containing the Flood waters. Suppose that part of your scenario is right, and that the trough between the Arabian peninsula and Zagros mountains in which the Tigris-Euphrates valley sits somehow got filled with enough water to be Noah's Flood. Just how would the water keep from running southeast right down the river valley and into the Persian Gulf?

Could a meteor impact with the force of hundreds of hydrogen bombs have caused the land of Noah, or for that matter all of southern Iraq, to temporarily sink? It would not have had to sink much. For, as you remind us, "Baghdad is [now] only 34 meters above sea level." Then after several months, as the land began to rise, could the rising land have drained its flood waters into the Persian Gulf, from which most of them came?

You wrote: Those great lights John Whitcomb and Henry Morris pointed out in their 1961 book The Genesis Flood that the so-called Bible chronology actually has a lot of slop in it. There is no way to tell, for example, if the various "begats" referred exclusively to a father-son relationship.

I have studied this subject matter at length and have read Morris and Whitcomb's comments. I disagree with them for several reasons which I do not now have time to discuss. (I have also thoroughly studied all other areas of Bible chronology, including the period of time from the division of the kingdom following the death of Solomon until the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 B.C., and am convinced that Bible chronology points to 2350 B.C. as the date of Noah's flood.) Morris and Whitcomb were trying their best to poke holes in a Bible chronology which dates Noah's flood quite recently. They were obviously doing so to prevent their ridiculous contentions from seeming even more ridiculous. By Morris and Whitcomb postulating gaps in the Genesis genealogies they allowed for the possibility that the Genesis flood took place several thousand years earlier than the here discussed 2350 B.C date. However, Morris and Whicomb failed to realize that adding of a few thousand years to the traditional B.C. date for Noah's flood does nothing to make their contentions that that flood was a global one any more credible.

Alan, I agree with you that this is all, at this point, pretty much speculation fueled by a desire to lend some support to the Genesis flood account. But it certainly seems to me that the belief of many Christians, that the flood described in Genesis was an actual historical event, is now not nearly as unfounded by extrabiblical evidence as it once was. For Bible believers now have tree ring dating of a catastrophic climate change exactly coinciding with what has long been held to be the Bible's own date for the flood. We now can connect the flood account contained in the Epic of Gilgamesh, which seems to point to a meteor impact or a series of such impacts as the cause of the flood, with the discovery of what appears to be a fairly recent meteor impact crater in southern Iraq. And we also have the evidence of extensive flooding in the same area, which may possibly have been deposited at the same time, which COJ has discussed at length in the past.

I wouldn't dismiss all of this too quickly if I were you. If you do, you might just have to post a retraction in the not too distant future. : )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit