space.com dates Noah's flood to 2350 B.C.

by aChristian 251 Replies latest jw friends

• aChristian
    aChristian

Clash,

You obviously did not write the two long articles you just posted. That being the case, you should have given the author credit for his work. Since you did not write the material you just posted, and probably did not even thoroughly read it, I am not going to take much time to comment on it. I will only say that the first article contains much faulty reasoning and that the information contained in the second article has little or nothing to do with the subjects we have been discussing.

I suggest that in the future, if you think that some articles on the Net might be of interest to some of us here, that you post links to those articles rather than waste this board's bandwidth. I also suggest that if you cannot answer questions which some here have asked you, that you admit that your positions cannot be defended, and then politely bow out of this discussion. For as it is, your continued presence here, while ignoring several tough questions which you have been asked, only makes "young earth creationists" and "flood geologists" look quite foolish.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Clash has claimed to be a Calvanist and a Presuppositionalist (or at least to use presuppositional apologetics).

As such, there is very little point in even talking to him;

1/ He believes in some ghastly interpretation of god that, as far as I can see, is not really in any way scriptually justifiable. Rather than discussing the scriptual basis of the Calvinistic doctrines he cuts and pastes doctrinal statements; but c&p is his (or her) style in most areas, isn't it?

2/ Presuppostionalists believe what they want and don't think they have to support their beliefs; as there is no reason for his beliefs, you cannot reason with him about his beliefs.

3/ He also always plays switch and bait; I've simply not bothered talking with him after he failed to answer question after question, prefering to astound us with his grasp of Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V on subsiduary topics rather than answering the faults in his arguement (which he doesn't see as faults (see above).

I would suggest you would be better occupied head-butting a wall for the rest of time than talking to him. Of course, he might engage in the debate rather than show-boating, but I doubt it...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

aChristian you wrote:

"If we do not believe the miracles which the gospel writers recorded as actually having taken place, how can we really believe that a man named Jesus spoke the words those same writers attributed to him? After all, many of the words they quote him as having said were words they tell us he said in the course of performing the very miracles you do not believe ever took place. If they made up all those words, why should we believe they did not also make up most of the rest?"

This is a poor example but here goes! Do I have to believe that George Washington really did chop down his father's cherry tree and when queried declared I cannot tell a lie, in order to believe he was a great man? My point is that not everything we have been told can be absolutely relied upon as the truth. In regard to the miracles in the First Century, what proofs are there today that such things really occurred? Why only in the First Century were there miracles? Sincere Christians have languished for centuries under tyrannical religious leaders while searching for truth, yet there are no more signs from God, no more miracles to stamp the true prophet, the true priest, the true minister, why? Some believe it's because God does not exist, I believe it's because it was never that way, there were no public miracles, no raisings of physical bodies etc. Many other religions claim supernatural occurrences why should the ones recorded in the Bible be believed over the others?

You wrote:

"I believe you are wrong about Paul's writings concerning women's place in the congregation.
    I strongly believe that the words written by the apostle Paul, which are often understood to say that women are not allowed to hold positions of authority in Christian Churches, did not actually reflect the apostle Paul's own beliefs. The context of Paul's writings clearly indicates that Paul was in those passages actually citing false teachings then being promoted by others for the purpose of correcting those false teachings. This is not just my belief. Several books and articles have been written on this subject matter. I have explained this on this forum before. See this thread, a few posts down from the top:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=17102&site=3";

aChristian,

I am familiar with the argument you present in regard to Paul. I respectfully submit though that when I first read it on the Web somewhere it seemed to me to be stretching the words of Paul like taffy. Paul was direct, he did not mince words. At 1 Timothy 2:8 he said, "I desire that in every place the men carry on prayer" note the use of the pronoun "I", verse 9 states "Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves.." again the pronoun "I", verse 12: "I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence", "I" again. Is it too much to assume that with each use of the pronoun "I" Paul was speaking of himself, that these were things HE taught or felt proper?

In addition, when the writings of the so called early Church Fathers of the Second Century are compared to the writings of Paul they set forth the same policy as Paul did regarding women. If Paul was alluding to a false teaching in an attempt to correct it he failed to make his meaning clear to even the earliest of his male disciples. But, actually he did not fail for they understood his teaching on women quite well and they followed it.

Also, in fairness to Paul it is quite possible that there have been insertions and other pollutions of his letters by those who sought to keep women in their proper place.

You wrote:

"If you have not read this essay, I hope you will do so before discussing this subject further. (In other words, try not to follow the example of Crash.)"

I had not read your essay before today but as I said, I was familiar with the argument presented. I did though follow your advice and went back to read what you had to say on the matter. I will "try not to follow the example of Clash."

You wrote:

"Paul's letters and all the other writings which make up the New Testament were obviously not written as commentaries on the gospels."

To me that would be like a Constitutional scholar never referring to the words of the Constitution when writing ABOUT the Constitution!

Jesus taught simplicity, but simplicity does not engender the kind of congregational order and authority that Paul established for the coming generations and the Catholic hierarchy. It was the writings attributed to Paul that were used to keep the masses in their place, contrary to the words of Jesus which sought to free the masses from overbearing religious authority.

As for whether the First Century Christians had the Gospels in hand I defer to the writings of Paul, John, Peter etc. where there is no reference to any extensive writings on the life of Jesus, and certainly no encouragement to read them. In addition, if the Gospels were written as early as some scholars believe then it's even harder to explain the contradictions found among them since there would have been many eyewitnesses still alive who would be able to supply a more accurate account. IMO, such a thing as Q would explain the similarities between the synoptic Gospels but not the dissimilarities.

I've enjoyed your posts, and admire your faith. I remember it well, and I do at times wish that I could turn back the clock and believe again, believe that the whole Bible is the word of God. I do believe there are many beautiful and true things said in the Bible, but I also have come to feel that not every word is inspired.

Take care,
    IW

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

aChristian,

Nope your right this was an artical by By: Grover Gunn. I contacted him on the Lords day and ask him if I could use your material he too a look at you writings and said absolutly so basically it is one member of the body of christ helping out another menber of the body of Christ to defete the forces of false doctrine.

Another reason you won't answer his charge is because this artical totally refutes your posts, and by the way it is you who are convoluted and yes you were JUST THOUROUGHLY REFUTED.

See ya my LIBERAL friend

one more thing you try to come off as an authority of the Hebrew language you know like the WT does like Fred Frans did when he claimed he was a greek scholar but then got cought as a liar in a court trial in Scotland....

Q1: Have you every taken a class in Hebrew?
    A. YES
    B. NO

Q2: If so where and when so we can verify it.

Remember you are the one giving authoritative explainations of Hebrew oh, by the way, (Mr Gunn the artical thet just put you position in the trash (kind of like how Walter Martin in the 70's and 80's use to put the WT theology in the Trash) Has Tought Beginning Hebrew at Reformed Theological Seminary in Jackson , MS and in Orlando FL, and at Knox Theological Seminary in Fl. Lauderdale, FL.

BTW: you did not at all defend tour position. Just gave abratrary assertions and backed them up with Isigetecal reasons. You did not in know way handel the Gen 6:7 passage with any exigetical integraty.

see ya,

jr

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

achristian posted

""Paul's letters and all the other writings which make up the New Testament were obviously not written as commentaries on the gospels.""

Q: Where Pauls letters Diadactic?

One More Thing I can see why you wont answer Gunns artical because it is has totally stoped dead cold your aplogetics of and exposed your inability to exegite the bible with any compitance. I just got some e-mails that complementid the artical by those who frequent this discussion I will e-mail them asking thier permission to post thier e-mails to me on this board in reguards of you croocked WTesc herminudecs.

If you can't deal with sound Christians answers then it is best for you to bow out of this discussion and stop your nonsence of giving false interpratations of the bible like the WT does.

cheers,
    jr

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

How can aChristian respond to this

A third argument is that the word translated day can be a metaphor for an extended period of time or age. It is pointed out that the word is used that very way in the creation account in Genesis 2:4:
    This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens.
    The problem with this argument is that the Hebrew here translated "in the day" is an idiomatic expression which means "when" (cf. Genesis 2:17; 3:5).4 The usage of the word translated day in this idiom does not give evidence on its usage apart from the idiom elsewhere in the passage.
    The plural of the Hebrew word translated day is the primary form for expressing an extended temporal sense "in which the focus of the meaning is not on the 'day' as such, but on a 'time' or situation characterized in a particular way."5 This metaphorical sense is obvious in phrases such as "days of mourning" (Genesis 27:41) or "days of old" (Amos 9:11), but not in a clause such as "in six days the LORD made heaven and earth." This extended sense can also be true of the singular, but again it is usually self-evident as in phrases such as "the day of the Lord" or "the day of harvest" (Proverbs 25:13). Genesis one defines its usage in terms of evening and morning and thus points to a more literal day. When evening and morning are used in a figurative context in Psalm 90:6, they represent not long ages but the brevity of life. Also, phraseology such as "second day" and "third day" is nowhere else used in Scripture to refer to an extended age. There is simply no evidence that the six days of Genesis one are metaphors for extended ages.
    Some seem attracted to the day age theory because they want to accommodate Scripture to current scientific theory. In reality, the day age theory creates more problems than it solves in this regard. According to the day age theory, trees and vegetation appear upon the earth during day three, but the sun, moon and stars are not created until the next extended age (day four). Fruit trees (day three) are created before fish (day five). Fish and birds (day five) are created before reptiles and insects (creeping things of day six). All of these orders of events contradict modern scientific theory.
    These orders of events also cause some simple pragmatic difficulties if the six days of creation were indeed extended ages. For example, there are symbiotic relationships between certain plants and animals. Much of the vegetation created on day three is dependent on creatures created on days five and six for pollination. How did these plants survive all those many years without birds, bats or insects? Also, the six days of creation were days each with one morning and one evening, a situation which would hardly apply to geological ages. How could any life survive a series of geological ages each consisting of one long period of light followed by one long period of darkness?6
    There is also the question of when death entered the world. According to Romans 5, death entered the world at the time of Adam's sin. That is when the curse descended upon creation. The first death found in the Scriptural account of history is the death implied by God's use of an animal's skin to clothe the naked sinners Adam and Eve. Genesis implies that all creatures were vegetarians before the fall (Genesis 1:29-30; cf. 9:3). Isaiah 11 gives us a description of paradise restored: the wolf lies down with the lamb and the lion eats straw like an ox. Do those who believe in extended ages believe that the "law of the jungle" and carnivorous behavior did not begin until after the fall? Or do they believe it was present before the fall in the extended age called day 6 contrary to what the Bible reveals about life before the fall?

he can't so he avoids the cretique just like the WT does when they get cretique by christians these articals are just too much for aChristian to handel. So he crookedly side steps the matter these papers are sound apologetics used my meany christians. and since you are sinfully stuborn like Chuck Russell, Judge Rutherford, Nate Knorr, and Fred Franz i guess you'll also fallow thier apologetic stratagy.

One more thing you keep using the tearm "bible scholars or theologoens say"

Who are these slick theologins you speek of this frase has aften been use by the WT. Unlike you I can give you book page and auther of the theologens that I quote you don't just like the WT.

If I where a crooked expositor of the bible like the WT and like you I too would avoid Gunn artical. You see only Christianity has an answer.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Abaddon (a great logiction?) writes:

1/ He believes in some ghastly interpretation of god that, as far as I can see, is not really in any way scriptually justifiable. Rather than discussing the scriptual basis of the Calvinistic doctrines he cuts and pastes doctrinal statements; but c&p is his (or her) style in most areas, isn't it?

why apeal to the bible when you don't even believe in the bible? You know that is self-refuting. So thanks for your input.

Think about it you don't even believe in the bible and yet you are going to tell me what doctrines are in the bible?

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

a Christian writes

first article contains much faulty reasoning

what falty reasoning? O.K bible scholar give me the catigorical exigetical error that Mr. Gunn comitted or what catigotical logical falicy did he comite. Or is this just another silly false acusation that you make in order not to deal with a devistating cretique?

Are you not schooled in heminuducs? You speek of bible scholars.

So who are your liberal neo-orthodox higher critic bible scholars on your side.

Wolfhart Panninburg, Karl Barth, Paul Tillic? The Jesus Seminar guys.

If you ask I will give you the bible teachers that I read.

• Ad Hominem
  • aChristian
    aChristian

IW,

Thanks for reading my essay on Paul and women and for commenting on it.

You wrote: Paul was direct, he did not mince words. At 1 Timothy 2:8 he said, "I desire that in every place the men carry on prayer" note the use of the pronoun "I", verse 9 states "Likewise I desire the women to adorn themselves.." again the pronoun "I", verse 12: "I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence", "I" again. Is it too much to assume that with each use of the pronoun "I" Paul was speaking of himself, that these were things HE taught or felt proper?

Yes, it is. For the Greek from which Paul's words have been translated into English contains no such pronoun. Translators have merely inserted the pronoun "I" into Paul's words, two or three times depending on the translation you are reading, in order to create proper English sentences. However, I believe that they should have inserted the pronoun "We" in those places instead of "I." For, as I have said, the context of Paul's words clearly shows that he was quoting the words of false teachers which he had been asked to critique.

You wrote: In addition, when the writings of the so called early Church Fathers of the Second Century are compared to the writings of Paul they set forth the same policy as Paul did regarding women.

By that time the Judaizers had managed to corrupt many of the teachings of Christ and of Paul, including their common teaching of full equality of the sexes within the body of Christ. This should not come as a great surprise. For the fact that a corruption of Christianity would take place after Christ and His apostles left the earth was predicted by both Jesus and Paul.

You wrote: [If Paul] was alluding to a false teaching in an attempt to correct it he failed to make his meaning clear to even the earliest of his male disciples.

I don't think so. For, as I pointed out in my essay, despite the Judaizers' efforts to the contrary, women did often serve as teachers in First Century Christian churches. Jesus instructed His apostle John to write to the church in Thyatira for tolerating the false teachings of a woman named "Jezebel." Though Jesus said that He was displeased with what that woman was teaching, He did not say that He was displeased with the fact that a woman was teaching. That the church in Thyatira had allowed a woman to hold a teaching position for what was apparently a long time shows that women were almost certainly often allowed to teach in First Century Christian churches. (Rev. 2:18-25)

You wrote: if the Gospels were written as early as some scholars believe then it's even harder to explain the contradictions found among them since there would have been many eyewitnesses still alive who would be able to supply a more accurate account.

As you might guess, I do not believe there are any "contradictions found among them." Several apparent contradictions, but nothing that I have not been able to fully reconcile with a little bit of study.

You wrote: I do believe there are many beautiful and true things said in the Bible, but I also have come to feel that not every word is inspired.

These are things we must all come to our own conclusions on. I understand how you feel. I felt pretty much the same way a few years ago and for many years after leaving the Watchtower. Thanks for all your kind words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit