How Should We Deal With "Pirates"?

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

They're at it again!

• John Doe
    John Doe

There should be no negotiation nor ransoms. Upon taking of a ship, the pirates should be given 24 hours to surrender the hostages and themselves. If they don't surrender, special forces should be sent in to summarily execute the pirates without regard to the safety of any hostages. It would not take many instances of this for the pirate activity to stop.

• minimus
    minimus

So just forget about the hostages??

I hope no one in your family is ever taken hostage.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    So just forget about the hostages??
    I hope no one in your family is ever taken hostage.

Yes. If you care about not making hostages in the future. If you take away the market for hostages, there won't be any. Only problem is that no one has the balls to make the needed call. In my view, taking a hostage should be signing your own death sentence.

• minimus
    minimus

It's not a matter of balls. It's brains.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    It's not a matter of balls. It's brains.

Brains should tell you that providing a market for hostages puts everyone in danger.

• minimus
    minimus

There will always be a "market for hostages".

• John Doe
    John Doe
    There will always be a "market for hostages".

Only if people provide one. If aggressive action were taken against pirates, there would not be one. That's a simple and hard to dispute fact.

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry, john Doe but in a real world, that simply isn't the case. It's simplistic and not a "fact".

Since the President isn't commenting on this crisis, I suggest you give him your pearls of ewisdom to help the situation out.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

one estimate says that Somalian piracy earned $150 million in 2008. They are also very organized, have heavy duty weaponry, GPS, telecommunications etc and often board ships at night. There don't seem to be any simple solutions. The country is poverty stricken - death happens all the time. I don't think the threat of execution will deter piracy and it is very likely that that avenue has been tested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit