The Official What happened at the Memorial thread

by truthseeker 91 Replies latest jw friends

• boyzone
    boyzone

Good ole V going to the memorial. Still undercover and producing excellent videos to help others see the lies behind "the truth©"

www.watchtowercomments.com

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Lily Allen concert last night was wonderful. Came home feeling energized, rejuvenated, full of life and guilt free. Parents called saying how beautiful their memorial was, they sounded depressed, worn out and feeling guilty that they are only able to put in 50+ hours a month in their twilight years.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I dyed Easter eggs with my kids and husband, and grilled hot dogs. Pretty much the best Memorial night ever!

• willyloman
    willyloman

Last memorial for us was '03. Our response to the event each year has evolved over time. In '04, we went to a public park, found a secluded corner, laid out on the grass and took turns reading out loud and parsing the gospel account of that famous passover meal. It was refreshing to "study" bible verses without being guided by whatever company man was leading the discussion from the platform at the KH.

The next year, we decided to go to an Episcopal Church that is frequented by some people we work with. We got a big kick out of being among those once-a-year Christians who only go on major holidays! The Episcopal service is "Catholic Lite" and there are emblems and wine and everyone goes to the altar and partakes. The speaker was brief and non-judgmental and upbeat. The people were very friendly and well-dressed, although much of the attire was more casual than the sea of polyester suits at the KH. It was a very nice way to pay our respects to Jesus and the "Memorial" concept without having to soil our integrity by walking into the dub hall. The contrast was good for our souls.

Since then we have attended a couple of churches to "look around" but have pretty much decided that a church routine is not for us. We've been there, done that, and aren't looking to join another club. However, we will be going to church this Sunday to partake of the emblems, just in case that commandment at John 6:53 applies to us!

I wish you all a joyous Easter and much freedom and happiness!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ oompah - yep. If we want to have life, we gotta eat that bread!

@ willyloman - enjoy it this Sunday, happy Easter to you.

• undercover
    undercover

V said:

Basically: why do any with the earthly hope have to touch the emblems at all? Especially the speaker or persons standing in the hall.

Ya know, I've wondered about that myself. Last night one of the emblam passers walks up on stage and hands the glass/plate to the speaker who took it with his left hand, transferred it to his right and handed it back. Why not just decline taking it if you're not gonna partake?

I actually did that one year and caused a bit of a row with those I was with. I was at the end of a closed row, against the wall. When the glass and plate got to my I just shook my head and held my hand up as if to "no thanks". I got fussed at by family and the elder passer had a frown on his face. I expected to get counseled afterwards but I didn't stick around long enought to get questioned about it.

I agree with V; To me, if you're not going to partake why bother grabbing it if you don't have to?

• V
    V

undercover: Nice to see someone who tried that, almost did that myself last night.

To all of the 'amused,' I go to most meetings. My life is too bizarre.

Closing the freeminds.org poll soon. Current results:

9986 partakers in 2008, how many for Memorial 2009?

Increase: Over 10,000 (39.9%)

WT stops reporting partakers (33.9%)

Big Increase: Over 11,000 (12.6%)

Same: about 9,900 (7.7%)

Drop: less than 9,500 (6%)

• undercover
    undercover

My Memorial experience was dull. Same ole talk, same ole silly illustrations, like the cake pan with a dent represents sin in all of us since Adam.

The speaker was someone I had studied with years ago. I wasn't the one to "bring him into the truth", so to speak, but did study with him some and was one who "encouraged" him when he was learning the truth getting indoctrinated.

No one partook that I could tell from my vantage point.

I did notice that all my peers look old now...not that we're young, but I look at them and I see out of shape, overweight, balding, greying, old men. The guys I grew up with and/or have known for years and years have become the old elders that the kids look at as old and stodgy. Not bragging, but I look 10 years younger than these guys. I think the stress of trying to keep up with the JW lifestyle is taking its toll on these people and its showing.

What was more interesting was the amount, or lack thereof, of 20somethings and 30somethings that make up the congregation. There were plenty of onetimers there, but the core of the congregation was aged well over 40.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I went with my wife to a non-English speaking memorial, so I didn't have to hear the inane blather. I followed along in the scriptures, reading each one within its context, and plainly understood that no where in there does it give any kind of indication that there are two different classes of followers. Two scriptures are given as to why: "I have sheep not of this fold," and "I saw 144,000 standing before the...". That's it. Pretty flimsy reasoning to fly in the face of all the scriptures Christ speaks of his followers needing to drink and eat of the emblems.

In a sense, I tried to obtain some sort of connection with the scriptures, but I just couldn't. It doesn't make sense to me. As much as I'd like to feel some kind of deeper connection with something in the sky, it's just not there. Every form of worship seems tainted.

• TD
    TD

Unusual year, but still dull here too.

I accompanied the wife as usual. (It's only one service a year after all. --Small price to make her happy)

I was a little surprised that a grand total of two people even said hello. JW's are usually more friendly. Maybe it's a sign.

It's always a good people watching event. There's usually:

A 50 - 60 something female belting out the songs so hard that her hair quivers while her operatic vibrato goes on for several seconds after everyone else's voice trails off.

A young elder who's so excited to be chairman that his voice cracks.

A close call with the wine.

At lease a dozen unbelieving spouses. I was looking around the room and my eyes met those of a large gentlemen of color. I didn't know him and he didn't know me, but we both could see that neither of us wanted to be there. He smiled and started laughing and so did I while neither of our wives noticed.

This made me wonder though: Who feels more out of place at a JW memorial:

Unbelieving spouse A: An ugly old man with a beard (Me) who is ignored for the most part

Unbelieving spouse B: A young attractive female wearing pants who is being love bombed

(?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit