The Official What happened at the Memorial thread

by truthseeker 91 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I knew it was last night, sort of. I was only reminded because my wife had to spend part of the day getting her elderly mother to the hairdresser on Wednesday, so that she looked correct for the 'event'.

But actually, after watching the Masters yesterday, then writing my day's entry in my blog, I headed to bed as normal on Thursday night so that I could arise at the ungodly hour of 0230 to go to work today.

The Memorial has become a passing notion for me now. Just another religious event among a bunch of religious events this time of year among a bunch of religions. Didn't miss it - thank goodness.

Jeff

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Don't have the letter - should have asked the chairman to see it after the program...

Anyone else feel that the letter sounded quite desperate?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'm told that it was very hot. The speaker as soon as he got on the platform started perspiring and mopping his forehead. Over 200 attended.

The speaker used an example from the recent earthquake in Italy to emphasize Jesus' role - that of a mother who gave her life to protect her toddler. Mum covered her child with her own body and died, the child survived.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I seem to remember that in my last years as a dub, an announcement from the GB would be read. In fact I think I got to read one at my last Memorial which I reluctantly presided over.

I was SOOOO happy last night to not have to consider attending. I hope never to go to one of those crazy non-celebrations again. I got some real spiritual nourishment at home relaxing, watching CSI, and enjoying a home cooked meal. At first I thought about passing by the Hall to see old friends going in and out. Then I thought, why lose a good parking spot! Anyway, that's my .02

Isaac

• boyzone
    boyzone

One year later neither my wife nor I were invited - or even had the memorial mentioned to us - by our families, nor did we attend.

Same here Password. I would have liked an invite as it would have been nice to see that they thought enough of me to care, but nothing. I even mentioned the memorial to my witness parents but they changed the subject as if they weren't allowed to mention it to me. To be honest the whole thing left me a bit heavy-hearted so I went along to my local Baptist church last night and the congregation re-enacted the Last Supper and included the Communion. I was given a lovely welcome and felt better after that.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

I made sure I told my parents about John 6:53 before they attended.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Re. the letter. It's a letter "from" the Governing Body. They urge all in attendance to consider how bad the system is and the benefits of having a "Bible Study". Attendees are asked to approach any of the "attendants" (do they wear badges where you are?) and request a "Bible Study".

Yes, the Memorial is about denying Christ and getting new members. Seriously.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Good call. That scripture was on my mind too. How did your parents react to you mentioning this script? My dad gets really angry.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

My dad got a bit annoyed. He said Jesus was speaking to his 12 apostles when he said that. I reacted incredulously, of course. There's no reasoning with them.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Yep. Thats the mindset.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit