Is This the End of Organic/Small Farming?

by read good books 13 Replies latest social current

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

I just joined a coop down here to get Organic food and good products. How long before everything goes to hell in a hand basket?

Kit

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I honestly dont understand why you people obey laws. You are human beings. You do not belong to the state if you say you dont belong to the state. You are stronger than they are. You are more Numerous than they are. You do not have to do as they bid thee.

I stop at red lights. Cause its the law? Hell no! Cause I dont want to cause a wreak.

I have car insurance. Cause its the law? Hell no! Cause someone else shouldnt have to pay for my mistake.

I SMOKE POT! Its again the law. OMG whatever shall I do. Fuck them. Do your worst to me.

I dont register my private property. Its again the law. OMG whatever shall I do? Do your worst MOFOs.

I am a human. So are you. So are they. They have no power lest what you give them.

Good day (pu$$!es)

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

This is one of the worst cases of alarmism to come along in a while. The end of organic farming? Yeah, right. The end of a billion dollar industry. There's a reason why this "news" is only on the "alternative" media sources. There's always something new to get apoplectic over. The reality of the bill is actually quite banal.

For those of you too busy to read the actual bill, here's a quick rundown (from http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875):

There's a difference between "food establishments" (a slaughterhouse, factory, warehouse, or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients) and "food production facilities" (any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation), with the latter only being subject to the following:

SEC. 206. FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITIES.

(a) Authorities- In carrying out the duties of the Administrator and the purposes of this Act, the Administrator shall have the authority, with respect to food production facilities, to--

(1) visit and inspect food production facilities in the United States and in foreign countries to determine if they are operating in compliance with the requirements of the food safety law (refer to Section 3 (15)(A));

(2) review food safety records as required to be kept by the Administrator under section 210 and for other food safety purposes;

(3) set good practice standards to protect the public and animal health and promote food safety;

(4) conduct monitoring and surveillance of animals, plants, products, or the environment, as appropriate; and

(5) collect and maintain information relevant to public health and farm practices.

(b) Inspection of Records- A food production facility shall permit the Administrator upon presentation of appropriate credentials and at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner, to have access to and ability to copy all records maintained by or on behalf of such food production establishment in any format (including paper or electronic) and at any location, that are necessary to assist the Administrator--

(1) to determine whether the food is contaminated, adulterated, or otherwise not in compliance with the food safety law; or

(2) to track the food in commerce.

(c) Regulations- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator, in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture and representatives of State departments of agriculture, shall promulgate regulations to establish science-based minimum standards for the safe production of food by food production facilities. Such regulations shall--

(1) consider all relevant hazards, including those occurring naturally, and those that may be unintentionally or intentionally introduced;

(2) require each food production facility to have a written food safety plan that describes the likely hazards and preventive controls implemented to address those hazards;

(3) include, with respect to growing, harvesting, sorting, and storage operations, minimum standards related to fertilizer use, nutrients, hygiene, packaging, temperature controls, animal encroachment, and water;

(4) include, with respect to animals raised for food, minimum standards related to the animal’s health, feed, and environment which bear on the safety of food for human consumption;

(5) provide a reasonable period of time for compliance, taking into account the needs of small businesses for additional time to comply;

(6) provide for coordination of education and enforcement activities by State and local officials, as designated by the Governors of the respective States; and

(7) include a description of the variance process under subsection (d) and the types of permissible variances which the Administrator may grant under such process.

(d) Variances- States and foreign countries that export produce intended for consumption in the United States may request from the Administrator variances from the requirements of the regulations under subsection (c). A request shall--

(1) be in writing;

(2) describe the reasons the variance is necessary;

(3) describe the procedures, processes, and practices that will be followed under the variance to ensure produce is not adulterated; and

(4) contain any other information required by the Administrator.

(e) Approval or Disapproval of Variances- If the Administrator determines after review of a request under subsection (d) that the requested variance provides equivalent protections to those promulgated under subsection (c), the Administrator may approve the request. The Administrator shall deny a request if it is--

(1) not sufficiently detailed to permit a determination;

(2) fails to cite sufficient grounds for allowing a variance; or

(3) does not provide reasonable assurances that the produce will not be adulterated.

(f) Enforcement- The Administrator may coordinate with the agency or department designated by the Governor of each State to perform activities to ensure compliance with this section.

(g) Imported Produce- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Administrator shall promulgate regulations to ensure that raw agricultural commodities and minimally processed produce imported into the United States can meet standards for food safety, inspection, labeling, and consumer protection that are at least equal to standards applicable to such commodities and produce produced in the United States.

• moshe
    moshe

I knew many patriot types over the years here in the USA. They all gave up and conformed to the system as soon as they were eligible for Social Security. It ispossible, I believe that we will have food shortages at some point in the future, so maybe they will mandate gardens for every yard in America at that point, too. Flusing your toilet might become illegal, in order to save human waste for fertilizer, so don't laugh, it could happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit