Is This the End of Organic/Small Farming?

by read good books 13 Replies latest social current

• read good books
    read good books

I was shocked to come across this video on U Tube. It documents two bills in Congress H.R. 875 and S.425 that could effectively put small Farms and Organic Farms out of business. I haven't heard this mentioned in the Main Stream Media and I read H.R. 875 and looking at section 3. 103, and 206 it looks like the way it's worded the government could force Organic and Small farmers to use their fertilizers and Non-Organic Farming methods, although the word Organic is never used there. Am I missing something or is this a viper sneaking through the Congress in the darkness? The Bill is being sponsored by Monsanto, Cargill, and ADM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXNJNjYBvw

• ninja
    ninja

they are on a roll......as someone said to all those awake to what is going on

"the hardest thing now will be to hold on to your sanity, as we go through the changes"

they are hitting us from all angles

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Sure, they might get some laws on the books that micromanage farming. The reality is there are simply no resources to send out farming police to make sure you have a chip implanted in Daisy the cow, are using those amazing Monsanto products, and are rotating your crops properly. Hell, the farm police are not even up to the task of keeping tainted spinach off our tables, and that business about making sure the farm workers are properly documented citizens has not worked out all that well either. Not to worry, but be sure to give a ration to anyone who votes for that nonsense.

• read good books
    read good books

Kurt did you read this Bill? HR 875 This sucker sets up a mega government organizational structure to regulate small and Organic Farms. Seed Contamination Protection, what a joke, Monsanto is the big seed contaminator letting their Genetically Engineered seeds blow all over onto other farms and contaminate them and then charging those Farms with infringing on their seed pattons. The Sponsors of this bill Monsanto, Cargill, ADM, and Tyson Foods?

The Foxes want to set up shop inside the Hen House.

I called my local Co-op and told them to read this Bill.

• beksbks
    beksbks

RGB's, can you please just give me a summary of what you found objectionable? Sorry, I'm reading through and it's making my head hurt.

I heard something about this the other day.

• Blithe Freshman
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Personally it looks like a response to the Spinach, and Peanut issues of the recent past.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I saw a stunning example of community gardening from...Cuba.

It's amazing what people can accomplish when they put their heads, hands, and hearts together.

http://wag.myzen.co.uk/thepolytechnic/?p=177

How did this small, impoverished country manage to show us up? What are we missing in our culture, organization, and attitudes?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

'Organic' doesn't carry the same connotations it did years ago. It is evolving.

It is so much different from what it used to mean that we need a new word to describe what was 'Organic'.

The only way you are ever going to get 'real' 'Organic' food is to jam a bucket in your toilet, piss on your trees and grow your own food in your own garden.

Nobody is going to do it for you in the near future. It is not viable business model.

Yet.

Cheers

Chris

• read good books
    read good books

The only way you are ever going to get 'real' 'Organic' food is to jam a bucket in your toilet, piss on your trees and grow your own food in your own garden.

But the problem is that this Bill as I understood it could even regulate the small backyard garden out of existence, by penalizing it as she said in the video for being a source for seed contamination making you liable for a fine, up to $500,000.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit