NEW KM style

by stillajwexelder 101 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa
    Blondie:

Does anyone remember the Theocratic News item in the KM?

This is the last time it appeared:

*** km 7/99 p. 3 Theocratic News ***

Marshall Islands: February saw a total of 203 publishers—a 4-percent increase over the same month of last year!

Norway: In February 1999, auxiliary pioneers were up 72 percent over February 1998; regular pioneers, 9 percent; return visits, 4 percent; and Bible studies, 6 percent. Book and brochure placements also increased.

Romania: Fine increases were seen in the pioneer activity and in the number of Bible studies being conducted, with a new peak of 37,502 publishers in the field during February.

Why did this end?

Because as the internet grew and became more used....they could just not keep making this crap up without being caught...........oompa

• dozy
    dozy

I’m also sure there is a tremendous tension between the departments. Remember the Aug 07 KM trumpeting the “wonderful provision of the book study” - unceremoniously dumped a few months later.

It is obviously not easy determining the machinations of the WTS - it is a bit like Kremlin watchers in the Soviet Union days. Franz gives a glimpse - there is no strong ideological or theological basis here & certainly the GB have no idea how to run a multi-million dollar corporation - they are purely placemen who have their position by being totally faithful to the Org.

I still think the main drivers are financial & legal - the GB only listen to the lawyers and accountants. The GB don’t have Bethelites knocking their doors & complaining about doctrine or procedures - it would be a one way ticket out of Brooklyn & possibly dfing to boot- so they get little or no honest feedback. I think the WTS has for years run this model of a strong hierarchical controlling leadership which worked well. Now , faced with lawsuits and a rapidly dwindling financial base , it is a disaster.

What would we do given this situation? I think we would cut the direct workforce as much as possible , as the WTS have done (Bethel lay-offs , possible change in Cos). Reduce potential liabilities by defining all non appointed Jws as attendees rather than volunteers by changing the DF rules & (possibly) stopping the need to report. Stop home bible groups due to potential litigation & ban on child abusers attending home groups (starting in Georgia & now spreading across USA). Morph & mainstream to an extent , to keep people on board. Stop printing so many books.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ dozy - great point re. the GB rarely getting honest feedback from the R&F.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

BTTT because of another thread

• 5go
    5go
    (starting in Georgia & now spreading across USA). Morph & mainstream to an extent , to keep people on board. Stop printing so many books.

Sounds more like another California sale tax dilemma than a real change from the heart on the BS arrangement.

• yknot
    yknot

.... I am tellin' ya ...

They could save a bundle if they limited their own printing orders (cashing in on shipping and handling fees to KH) and made downloading available for computer literate JWs.

They could as mentioned by others on JWD morph the public WT & Awake, or do away with them entirely only focusing on specific quarterly campaigns. Saving $$$$$ yearly.

Do we really need a bookstudy if we are only spending 25 minutes a week highlightings points?..... NO NOT REALLY...

If they expand Gilead to include homeschooling (later college similar to BYU) like the Mormons they could cash in greatly on selling school books & education.... Homeschooling is a booming business.

College educated devotees have more money and weekend time to donate to the WTS. Poor uneducated JWs have to work several jobs to keep afloat on basic needs and have little but FS to donate.

Ultimately they will have to offer a more attractive package if they want retainage of their 'growth'.

• besty
    besty

It's impossible to argue that the WTS doesn't have a massive problem with turnover.

Their own Annual Reports show 1,315,523 baptized between 2003 and 2007, yet average publisher numbers only increased by 507,774 for the same period.

Where are the missing 807,779?

Sam and I leaving our congregation just destroyed their entire recruitment campaign preaching activity for 18 months. In a heartbeat.

The WTS must take action to stop the turnover otherwise they will be stuck at population increase growth figures on a global basis, with their heartland Western working class being rapidly replaced by immigrants, Africans and Latinos.

All hail the mighty dollar.

• sir82
    sir82

Their own Annual Reports show 1,315,523 baptized between 2003 and 2007, yet average publisher numbers only increased by 507,774 for the same period.

Where are the missing 807,779?

Don't forget to factor in deaths of faithful JWs.

Assuming 1% mortality per year and an average of 6.5 million active JWs, you end up with 300,000+ deaths.

But of course that still leaves a net loss of half a million. As a statistics-obsessed organization, the WTS has to notice. And even the dunderheads there have to realize that something has to change, or their growth will finally stop and even reverse.

• besty
    besty

paul @ jwfacts is the stats expert - but i hear what you are saying about mortality.

what is the relevance of population growth?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I too believed that the Scolios character in the drama was a reflection of a conflict within the organization: the new guys wanting to help the sick and get an education and the old school wanting to keep things their way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit