NEW KM style

by stillajwexelder 101 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Does anyone remember the Theocratic News item in the KM?

This is the last time it appeared:

*** km 7/99 p. 3 Theocratic News ***

Marshall Islands: February saw a total of 203 publishers—a 4-percent increase over the same month of last year!

Norway: In February 1999, auxiliary pioneers were up 72 percent over February 1998; regular pioneers, 9 percent; return visits, 4 percent; and Bible studies, 6 percent. Book and brochure placements also increased.

Romania: Fine increases were seen in the pioneer activity and in the number of Bible studies being conducted, with a new peak of 37,502 publishers in the field during February.

Why did this end?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I wonder if the GB knows that all the R&F hangs on their every word and every change and we are going through a period of almost "CHANGE FOR CHANGE SAKE"

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

the new layout actually makes a little more sense...each week its own page..usually they only had one KM article per week and then rehash of other articles.

but whomever said..."rearranging chairs on the titanic" had it right

Snakes ()

• garybuss
    garybuss

The power pendulum has swung. The new guys are leaving their mark.

Food for thought: It's hard to implement real change within the old format. The ideal is to first change the context, then bring in the planned policy changes supported by the latest understanding of sacred texts. That makes the changes seem comfortable and if the changes are done over time incrementally, they should be accepted with little discussion and no real unrest.

It's the way they stripped the corporation in 2000. Many Witnesses I know didn't even notice.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I get the impression with all these minor adjustments that a major change is down the road

• dozy
    dozy

Could we see a time when a monthly report isn't required - just a list (compiled by the overseer) of active & inactive publishers? As the WTS no longer publishes average hours / mags / brochures etc on a country basis, why collate these figures any longer. There are quite a few JWs who are quite resentful of "putting in a report" & there certainly is no scriptural basis (yes , I know - it doesn't make any difference) of reporting "field" activity to an overseer.

For legal reasons the WTS increasingly seems to be attempting to give the illusion that the WTS has no control or legal responsibility for individual JWs - hence the concept that the Org doesn't disfellowship anyone - they voluntarily DA themselves. The system of reporting activity to a team leader creates a tangible link , mutual dependency & implied responsibility on the part of the organisation to whom reports of activity are given. The usual blood article in the Jan KM stresses that decisions are made by individual witnesses on the basis of their own conscience. We know this isn't true but is the WTS increasingly trying to protect themselves from any legal liability from actions from their flock. Remember Barbara Anderson's documents where the WTS deny any structure or organisation whatsoever in California , stating that they don't exist as any kind of entity there.

The big stat that I'm looking for is the new partakers figure - rumoured to be north of 10,000. Maybe the new "simplified" statistics arrangement will lead to this figure not being published either.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Got mine yesterday. I was talking with the service overseer about the change in format and the fact that we could barely read it because the font is so small. I immediately pointed out that the monthly stats weren't printed and he seemed a bit surprised. I said, oh they must be trying to save space to get everything on 4 pages. Actually, I think that's a big part of it. They can print the whole thing on 1 sheet of paper (4 pages front & back). Remember, at this point everything is about saving money. I doubt they quit taking monthly reporting. Its the reason why most even bother to go in service. If they dump the monthly reporting, the service groups will get even smaller. I'm sure the secretary would love it but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think you are wrong. If they stop reporting the figures then they will stop collecting them too.

• sir82
    sir82

Hey wait a minute!

How are we going to determine who is "qualified" to carry a microphone? In many congregations, you won't even be considered for "extra privileges" unless you are over, or at least near, the "national average for hours". If you don't know what the national average is any more, why, my God! you might have a "low hour publisher" touching a holy microphone!

This is clearly a crisis!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

SBF - They are still reporting figures, just not the level of detail that was done in the past. In the US version, it talks about a pioneer peak with specific numbers. Plus, I haven't seen any evidence that they still won't generate an annual report as in the past. Even if they drop it, the monthly reporting is a vital aspect of keeping witnesses busy with preaching. I'm sure you've perhaps even made the statement that you needed to go out on the last weekend of the month to "get your time". Finally, the monthly report is the single most important "qualification" when reviewing someone for appoint to a MS or elder. That is the first thing that the BOE looks at when a person's name is mentioned. Then, if married, the wife's card is pulled. If you're not getting above the national average (at least here in the US), then you are dropped from consideration immediately. Sorry, I see Sir82 made the same point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit