Giving Credit Where It's Due To Witnesses

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

On the plus side, I ran out of gas one day. I was disfellowshipped. A Dub I grew up with stopped and gave me a ride to a gas station. I had no money (or I wouldn't have been out of gas) and she even used her own money to put gas in the gas can. I mailed the money back to her when I got it. I've always appreciated her kindness.

On the negative side, a friend of mine's JW grandmother is very sick. She needed heart bypass surgery. She was going to have it, despite the necessary blood transfusion, but her JW family convinced her not to do it because of the blood transfusion. The doctors refused to operate without blood because her levels were so low to begin with. Now it's been three+ weeks and she's dying from suffering repeated heart attacks in the hospital. The family is furious with the hospital for 'allowing' their mother to deteriorate! Grandma now says she's willing to accept the blood and have the surgery but the doctors have told her that, since she's had repeated heart attacks and declined so much in the past few weeks, it's too late to have the surgery. She'd never survive. Doctors at three other hospitals have been approached by the family but, upon reviewing the records, those docs agree that she is NO LONGER a candidate for surgery, although she was a candidate when she first entered the hospital. So my friend is very upset because his grandmother is dying needlessly in front of his eyes. He said that he used to see his Dub relatives as good people who were just misguided. Now he sees them as murderers, who have in effect killed their own mother. And they hold their heads high because they held to their convictions.

So, good people who are just misguided? I think not.

StAnn

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Nicest lady in the whole world is a JW named Shirley and lives in w. Wash. She was my neighbor as a little girl and my mom(unfortunately) 'led' her into the WT religion(only one I know of other than family). I saw her a few years ago and she jumped up to hug me and find out how everything was. I had also called her a few years before to talk with my mom after my dad died (my mom and shirley had lost contact with each other)and she was gracious enough to call and encourage her. Her husband sat there like a stone, but Shirley gave me a hug and a kiss and her kindest regards, told me a little of her family -unfortunately all JWs, obnoxious husband eventually became an active JW and elder(personality was NOT renewed, just now he has 'authority' over others as well!) I think her son is an elder, but I have heard from my husband, who has worked with both of them, that the son is nothing like the dad/elder.

So, I hope she didn't get busted for being the sweet person she has always been. I keep on thinking that her husband might just be a jerk on the outside and she found some soft wonderful part of him that is loveable-I hope so, for her sake. I can't even find a picture in my memory of him smiling, and we were neighbors for my entire life until I was 18-next door neighbors for 10 years.

She was a sweetheart before she ever had anything to do with the JWs and she still is. So, they didn't ruin her!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

There are good decent JW people out there, I have even met a few in the past 2 years. The religion may be flawed, but there are good people in it, and hopefully they can escape it someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit