Unique but accurate observation about KHs from a "woldly" person

by Lady Zombie 24 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

The first Hall I attended in both southern and northern California were houses that had been purchased and the interior walls removed. These had windows. All well-covered with heavy, light-blocking drapes, but they were there.

When we built the first Hall in Morgan Hill (CA), there were no windows. What could you possibly want to look out at, with all that good spiritual grub being laid out inside? The peaceful walnut orchard in the back? The neighbor's beautiful peacocks? The soon-to-be DFed middle-aged brother grabbing a smoke in the parking lot? Oh, actually you could peak out at the parking lot - the doors were glass, though curtained!

• Guest39
    Guest39

I fondly remember a hall that was near a small airport. It was great to look out and watch the Sunday flyers in their little Cessna 150s, 172s, with a piper in the mix.

• TinyDancer124
    TinyDancer124

The KH I attended growing up had windows. A whole row of them along the side of the auditorium. I remember one time the air conditioning wasn't working, so the brothers opened a few windows and the back door to get a breeze in. I spent the entire meeting staring out the windows, wishing I was out there.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

Well Hell! I guess all my congregations were the red-headed step children. We didn't have windows, and if there were, they were really tiny or opaque.

• undercover
    undercover

I haven't seen any new halls lately but all the halls built from the late 70s to the early 90s in my area had windows. Not big windows mind you, not even big enough for a full-sized adult to go through in case of an emergency. But they were glass, you could see through them and they allowed some amount of natural light in - despite the heavy tinting.

These windows were so common to KHs that if you sold the building and took down the signs, most people would still recognize the building as built specifically to be a KH.

• Farkel
    Farkel

When this subject came up a few years ago, someone pointed out that fire insurance rates were lower if there were no windows. When I read this, I thought to myself, "Well isn't THAT great! People get to die in a fire because there are no windows for an escape route, but money is saved and the Hall is saved, too!" Farkel

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've heard this observation before and can't understand what the fuss is about. One hall I used to attend was torn down and rebuilt in the last year or two. It has more windows than the old one. Many churches here don't have windows. The ones that do cover them with curtains or blinds. Same goes for businesses and homes.

The only buildings I've ever seen anywhere with uncovered windows are unoccupied.

W

• still_in74
    still_in74

my KH has windows. Its great. We all look outside during the meeting and talk about the weather.

"Oh its raining" & "oh look the sun is out now" . then if its sunny we make outdoor plans, if its rainy we make indoor plans.

By the end of the meeting we all have our plans made. Plus we open the windows! And you can here lawnmowers, and cars driving by, and wind, oh its lovey! Anything that takes your mind away from the pathetic reality that is your life is truly a blessing from Jehovah!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The first kh that I attended was in PA, and it didn't have windows with the exception of the entrance where the doors were all glass. My mom told me that the lack of windows was to save on maintenance costs, since opposers had a fondness for breaking them.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Many of the quick builds were without windows. As mentioned, less maintenance, less vandalism. Also, less ventilation. Many of the Halls without windows and with wall vinyl later had serious mold problems in the exterior walls and had to be ripped up, dried, and refinished. Now, they're still doing few or no windows and painting the walls. It's all part of Hojovah's plan to suffocate them, I guess.

I say, build vast structures with large stained glass windows to let natural light in, and heat the place in winter with coffee makers and pastry ovens. Now we're talking about happy congregations.

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit