Why do most people not think?

by llbh 53 Replies latest jw friends

• llbh
    llbh

I have just had a long conversation with a dear friend, and we came to the same conclusion most people do not really think.

He is 75 and is fizzing with ideas, got a PHd at 60. in fractals( no have little idea what they are)

For instance it was and is blindingly obvious to me that the price of oil would drop, it has a little. The reasons are simple and i am prepared to discuuss that if you want.

I have observed in relationships recently, my own included, that we ignore the what is happening, and often to our, and our familie's long term benefit

The reason is the same we, me included, fail or choose not to think, for what i beleive are the following reasons.

1 .When we think things through we feel we will be diconcerted by the reality.

2 It is so easy not to do any thinking, we feel comfortable with the actuality.

So what do you think do i have point?

David

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Really don’t want to be thinking about this right now……..

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

These are not the droids you are looking for. Bring_the_Light

• NanaR
    NanaR

Critical thinking is a skill that must be learned. Many people have not been taught how to reason and to evaluate situations and data.

This, in my opinion, is the MAJOR reason that the Watchtower folks discourage higher education. The teaching of critical thinking skills is a major component of post-secondary schools. The very first college class I ever took (at the ancient age of 43) made me look at my life from an entirely different perspective than I ever had before. It was not long after that a situation impelled my long and slow exit from the JWs.

The fact that I had learned to think greatly affected my reaction to the ridiculous conclusions of the elders who attempted to judge my daughter as being "bad" based on one silly teenage incident. They weren't able to bully me, I wouldn't abandon her emotionally and spiritually, and 12 years later, here I am!

Pax,

Ruth

• llbh
    llbh
    These are not the droids you are looking for. Bring_the_Light

Meaning . I was hoping for a thoughtful debate. David

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

You don't need my papers, I should move along. Move along. Bring_the_Light

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Fractals are the study of how simple mathematical relations, iteratively applied can lead to extremely complex systems. Google-image it. Basically, its the math of pretty scribbles and perhaps the language of god. :oP

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are trained not to. In school, they learn things by rote memorization instead of thinking (it takes two years to learn multiplication that way, while I took ten seconds to master it the thinking way). That leaves them wide open for leaders with propaganda designed to make them do what they want the people to do. People buy into scams involving the big drug companies, global warming, the energy crisis, that we need someone to tell us what to do, and religion.

And religion further trains us not to think. Anyone reading the Bible, that is thinking while doing so, is going to realize that God is far from being maximally benevolent. He is responsible for the deaths of more people that were just minding their own business than anyone else was. They just want to keep people devoted to the religions, in the name of some Almighty God that does not give a fxxx about anything but Himself.

• llbh
    llbh
    Basically, its the math of pretty scribbles and perhaps the language of god. :oP

Yes i can google it and my friend did it explain them to me. i do not have the higher maths to comprehend them though i understand some of thier appilcations.

Actually you could not be futher from the truth. My friend put into place the computer tools that enable cars stop them entering into a skid. not mere pretty scribbles. as your rather frivolous remark implies.

Wt Wizard i do agree with what you say about religion and thinking

Regards David

• JK666
    JK666

David,

I think that most people prefer freedom from choice, rather than freedom of choice. It is easier to go through life on autopilot.

My problem is that I usually think too much. Sometimes I just want to shut it off, and can't.

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit