Is being searched by your employer EVERY day legal?

by Gill 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Bring_the_Light - I'm feeling rather rebellious myself!!

Noontide - I will 'just see what happens' BUT, to be honest, I'm not the kind of person who can take 'being pissed on' lightly and without consequences to my own 'well being'.

They have also the usual CCTV surveillance including locker rooms but they said they use 'covert surveillance' also.

The whole thing feels 'creepy'.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Wow, that is extreme. We have to show our bag to a co-worker as we leave, but they're not even allowed to touch anything. I'd seriously contemplate finding another job if that was me...

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Who searches the searchers?

HS

• Gill
    Gill

Brinjen - The bag search is uncomfortable enough, but I don't like even more the 'stripping off'. Again, they are not permitted to touch you BUT, being a 'peeping Tom' I believe is illegal in the UK and being forced to strip at all and reveal you tummy, pants, etc feels degrading.

I didn't sign up to be something to titilate some bloke, and there are some very young pretty girls who work there who may be unsure what their rights are on this and I will have to find out.....soon.

I was hoping someone would know for sure but this feels to me like a violation of the Human Rights Act and I will investigate..

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I'm fairly sure you can kick up a fuss if they will not provide women to do the search. Tell your manager that you want to speak to HR at head offfice just to clarify they can do this, i bet he'll provide a woman to do it. But then of course it's a new job and i suppose you don't want to kick up a fuss.

Paul

• Gregor
    Gregor

This is going to limit the stuff you can steal to whatever fits in your rectum. Bummer!

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

That is awful, I would feel very sick and uncomfortable with that too. If this is a private employer, chances are they can do this legally. Limited information about monitoring can be found at http://www.workingrights.co.uk/PrivacyIssues.html. I don't know about the searches. At the very least, I would think you could insist on female "searchers."

Like someone else said though, whether it's legal or not, it is very degrading and I personally would not want to work for a company like that. If I were you I would start looking for another job if that is at all possible! Sorry you're going through this.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My employer violates my rights also.

But they say I have the right to work else where.

It doesnt seem right.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Home D. has a policy that requires bag inspection upon exiting as an employee. Other than that, they just do a visual at the employee exit. The key is to wear as little as possible, and to keep it unbuttoned (jackets). Purses should be kept at home. If I was subject to a patdown I would not return.

HD has a BIG problem with store theft-the most common is to take small items to the bathroom and remove the plastic. I find open packs scattered all over. Sometimes the toilets need to have the plastic removed from the trap. I have no idea what is legal, but if you accept their terms upon acceptance as an employee, you might have to suck it up if the pay is worth it.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If those searches are in the policy book you signed for they are probably legal. Here in the states most folks dont understand that somplace in the hiring process they agreed to "terms of employment" and those terms dont always reflect ones civil rights.

We had a guy who was really suprised when the police liberated a garage full of company tools and equipment... they had a warrant. He did not go to jail... but he didnt have a job after 18 years or so.

Gill... 10percent make the other 90 percent suffer.

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit