Is being searched by your employer EVERY day legal?

by Gill 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

I am in the middle of induction training for a new job at a local store that is one of the UK's largest hardware stores.

Today we were told it was company policy that every staff member is searched everyday before they leave the shop. You cannot, under any circumstances leave the store until you have been searched both your bag and person and sometimes you car also searched.

Your handbag has to be emptied and searched, your pockets have to be emptied and you have to take off whatever clothes you are told to take off including shoes, roll up your shirt above waist level if you are a woman and loosen the waist band of your trousers.

If I am right, even the police are not permitted to search anyone without due cause and I already feel 'violated' at the thought that I will have to go through this humiliation everyday. This shop basically sells toiletries, garden stuff etc and insist that half of their theft if from staff.

However, we were also told that shoplifters cannot be stopped unless they have been followed all round the store and their is 100% knowledge that they have stolen something as a stop and search would get the store into terrible trouble.

So, am I correct in thinking that these people are going to violate my human rights every day!

I feel quite bad about it already. They're virtually saying that all their staff are thieves.

Help! I'm feeling quite sick about it all!

If they sold gold and diamonds I would understand such searches, ..... but toilet roll and dog food?!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Sounds excessive, and humiliating.

I think it's quite calloused to say, "Get another job," because I don't know your situation, and am in no position to lecture anyone. I will say this....when you get the chance, get the hell out of there as soon as you can! I will say that I am sorry to see the UK turn out more like V for Vendetta every passing month!

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

??? Are you sure you want to work for a company like that? I don't know your situation, but I would start looking for another job ASAP.

• Gill
    Gill

I thought I wanted to work for them, and they pay pretty well for what the work is BUT, I really feel very uncomfortable, not because I would steal anything from them, but the very thought that they do not trust anyone who works for them and that you have to be searched and even 'expose' yourself to a certain extent. At times when I will be working there will not be many women at work and I do not want to be searched by a man and also, as you're probably aware, women do tend to carry very personal items in their hand bags as a matter of necessity. Makes me feel sick that I may have to do any of this but if I knew I could refuse a search I may be willing to stand up to them, even if it does get me fired. If I know what my legal rights are I might not be so afraid.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Sounds completely gross and violating to me.

Legal? Who cares if it's legal? It's degrading, and that would be enough for me. I agree, get out of there as soon as humanly possible.

Good luck,
    Baba.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

We used to get searched on our way out when i worked for Toyota car plant. I think it is legal, but i think you can insist on a woman. What is the store you work for?

Paul

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Paul!

The store is Wilkinson Stores.

I also didn't like the attitude of the instructor as she said when you are searched, two people have to be there just so that in her words: 'Some silly person doesn't say 'He touched me!' " She was not taking into account that this could turn into an abusive situation. What if two men had to search you and they stuck up for eachother and lied about what happened?

This situation leaves women and men open to abuse and is quite sick making.

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks, SirNose, logic&reason and Babayaga. Sometimes you come up to these obstacles and you know it feels bad and wrong but you don't know if it's 'just you' that feels that way.

My family, when I got home were not happy with it and to be honest I feel sick to my stomach and horrible.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Ha! puts a new Light on the motivations of those rebellious colonies huh? Bring_the_Light

• noontide
    noontide

It depends on the laws of your country and/or state. Here in the U.S – California yes, it is legal to do so. There must be just cause to do so, and sometimes the location, job function, duties and responsibilities are enough of a “just cause” for employers to check their employees.

In your case, the removal of clothes does seem a bit extreme. I’d check with your HR department or your supervisor for further clarification on this issue. Could they be treading a thin line on harassment here? Could it be taken as sexual harassment by the employees? There are times when an employer gets a bit overzealous and goes beyond what is permitted by law. But again, as long as they are not breaking the law, they can conduct such searches.

A few suggestions; see what the company is actually doing, maybe it sounds a bit extreme at first but it’s not quite what you are imagining. Also, don’t take it personally they are not calling you a thief; they are just protecting their assets. No need to feel sick over this, or feel bad. See how things go and if the company is not breaking the law but you still feel bad, then you might need to move on. My company has a security department and they check on the employees as well. Unfortunately it seems that’s how business is conducted now a days. Good luck to you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit