divining rods work

by zerubberballz 57 Replies latest jw friends

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz

g'day,

It's a funny ol' world. A month ago I was mucking about with some thick fencing wire and I suddenly got the idea to bend a couple of pieces into a set of divining rods like I've seen old nutters doing on TV. So I cut two sections of wire about 2' long and bent the ends 4" at 90 degrees to form old fashioned diving rods (twitching sticks are made of yew or hickory or something .. don't know what, if anything aboriginies used)

Anyway, I thought to myself, 'self, this is just a load of bunk' and with no expectations, expected nothing to happen. How wrong was I. After walking a few feet with the rods held parrallel out front and feeling like a complete pratt, the rods suddenly crossed sending shivers up my spine. I reversed back and walked over the same spot and again got a powerfull pull right there.

I then called my daughter over and gave them for her to try while i went to fetch the metal detector. When I got back she called me over to see what happens when you walk near the dam. Walking toward the small dam the rods suddenly spun outwards when I got within a few feet of the edge.

This was no mythical stuff. We dug up nails and metal objects exactly where the rods crossed and the metal detector confirmed what the rods told us. We tried it out with several friends in the following days, including my old hippy friend Neville who handed 'em back shaking and saying they were freaking him out too much (even though I explained that I don't believe there's anything supernatural about it .. just earth energy/magnetism)

I was gobsmacked and it reinforced in me the importance of not believing or rejecting anything till you've tried it in person .. mmm .. still can't bring myself to try an oija board.

anybody else here tried walking around like 'my favorite marsian?' (or know how to spell oooeeegee bored ;)

cheers, unclebruce

PS: sorry if i've already posted about this .. my memory glands are shot.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Who are you and what have you done with Unclebruce?

Expatbrit

• Grout
    Grout

If divining rods worked, they'd work under double-blind tests with control groups and careful, objective observation.

<p>When that happens, let me know.

--
    Chip Salzenberg: Free-Floating Agent of Chaos

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz

expatbrwit: unclebruce is banned from here (just can't log him on .. he never liked star wars anyway ;)

Grout: How scientific of you to dismiss something out of hand without examining the evidence or experimenting yourself. lol. I don't know or care about double blind trials but the men in white coats are welcome here anytime, I'll even supply the blindfolds and a couple of empty minds.. (I presume double blind trials already back up my little experiment)

.. my only question to you is have you tried this yourself or are you the kinda guy to sit on yer arse and let other people get your kicks for ya, then tell ya what to think? Like I said, until i tried divining rods for myself i had no idea they way they worked .. its unreal. Where I tried is in the counry miles from the nearest power lines etc..(i suppose i gotta find a big gold nugget before you believe the metal detector works? .. you have heard of invisible bundles of energy called electricity haven't ya?

What are you afraid of Grout? Demons are dead, coathangers are cheap and pride is for fools and horses.

Sorry if I sound harsh but you remind me of my brother in law who left 'the truth' for a while to 'study' other religions and went back to being a staunch witness. When I asked if he ever went to a Buddhist Temple, a Mosque, a Synagog, a wiccan covern, he replied no, he only went to the library .. duh!

cheers, unclebruce.

PS: You think it doesn't take guts to post something like this here? ;)

• Satanus
    Satanus

UB

Try the ouija board if you like, but from what i've read, it's like random call to any spirit that might be around. Sometimes they can stick to ya. Of course that is from other people's experience.

SS

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Divining rods--or "dowsers"--"work" the same way Chevreul's pendulum, the "turning table" in seances, and the Ouija board work: nonconscious (involuntary) muscle movements initiated by autosuggestion. This was first described in 1833 by Michel-Eugene Chevreul (1786-1899), who explained the mysterious movement of a small pendulum held by an "unmoving" hand. The pendulum swings back and forth or in a ciruclar path depending on what the holder in thinking, even though the holdler is convinced that he or she is holding the pendulum perfectly still. (Portions of this paragraph were lifted verbatim from the magazine noted below.)

In facilitated communication a "facilitator" holds the hand of an autistic partner who types messages on a keyboard. What's really going on, however, is that the facilitators are unwittingly controlling the partners' typing. For more on facilitated communication, see the January/February 2001 issue of the Skeptical Inquirer.

The "power" of Rubber's divining rod exists only in his imagination.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz

I wouldn't mind SS,

So ouija is how its spelt eh. Everyone I know says I shouldn't try it. I certainly wouldn't at my own place in the bush. The spirits there are a very active happy bunch and until i know a lot more about them i wouldn't wanna upset the balance. Witchcraft runs in my family. I'm surrounded by natural witches.

Grandma used to draw her own ouija board on the table with chalk. My older sister is a spiritualist and during a session with a medium Flo Nightingale (her maiden name) appeared and exausted the medium by carrying on and refusing to leave .. afterward the medium reconed she was the most horrible obnoxious spirit she'd ever encounted .. yep that's my gran! ;)

Weird things happen at my place SS but I believe divining rods work very naturally. My father in law was a Yorkshire fireman and he was thier official water diviner .. i must get past his JW predjudices and ask him about it someday (he's already felt the spirit activity around here even though we've kept very quiet about it)

cheers, unclebruce

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I agree with Grout, UB, you old rebel you! Go to:
    http://www.randi.org/research/index.html
    and submit to the tests by that org, double blind, etc. If you can get results consistently under test conditions, you'll get $1m US! (less my spotter's fee, of course!) If you don't, it's your shout when we meet for that beer or coffee!

• zerubberballz
    zerubberballz

good post joseph, thankyou.

I'd be far more convinced of your argument if you'd actually tried it for yourself.

To feel the rods bending when you are actually trying to make them go the other way is something else and your reasoning would mean that our imagination knows where metal and water is located underground. I think it more likely that the body acts like a battery andreacts with electric currents generated in the earth similar to the way birds use the earths magnetic field to migrate vast distances around the earth.

If it was just me i'd put my hands up and admit madness but to call everyone around here crazy is insane ;)

cheers, unclebruce

• Grout
    Grout

Zerrub: By challenging me to disprove your assertions, you've committed a logical fallacy:

ARGUMENT FROM IGNORANCE
    "A logical fallacy where something is assumed to be true because it hasn't been proven false, or vice versa."
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Argument%20From%20Ignorance

I think I have a good case for an ad hominem in the "what are you afraid of" bit, but your argument from ignorance is so blatant that it's plenty to deflate your unsubstantiated assertions.

PS: Logical Fallacies list:
    http://mozai.com/philosophy/logic_fallacies.html

--
    Chip Salzenberg: Free-Floating Agent of Chaos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit