"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character...

by digderidoo 261 Replies latest jw friends

• inkling
    inkling

AlmostAtheist:

Thanks for your last post there...

Just for a second, imagine that the position I outlined is the one she actually holds. It is a strange position to be in, isn't it? Loving and worshiping a god that other people are calling "monster" because he did things that are monstrous. You know he did them. You know they are monstrous. But you still love him.
    So you try to rationalize it. He didn't kill ALL the babies. Yes he sent the bears after the boys, but where were the parents? People could've chosen to become slaves to Israel, they didn't HAVE to die.

To me, those sound incredibly hollow. But they aren't Snow's reasoning, they are her rationalizations.

I think finally "get" what you are saying. However, according to snowbird herself:

3. I believe God is righteous in all His ways even if we don't understand those ways.

I think I agree that what you are saying may be what is ACTUALLY going on in snowbirds head, but is it clearly not a position she is admitting to.

I hold that she would more quickly agree with my discription:

Jehovah ACTUALLY ordered that babies be killed, and that SOMEHOW, that was the right thing to do, even though you don't understand how.

[ink]

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> I hope that given Snowbird's clarification, that you can now see where you have taken the wrong road in this debate.

Yep. *bows to HS*

Ever notice that crow tastes like chicken?

>> may be what is ACTUALLY going on in snowbirds head, but is it clearly not a position she is admitting to.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever taken BOTH sides in a debate and still managed to lose. But then, this WAS a religious discussion, so anything's possible, eh? (Even me admitting I was wrong)

Thanks to all for a lively and enjoyable discussion.

Dave

• snowbird
    snowbird

These are my words:

Does God also have a dual personality? I don't know. I confess the thought of killing and pillaging upsets me terribly, but I no longer question God's actions. I've simply adopted a wait-and-see attitude.

I don't know how AA came up with this:

She referred to the possibility that god may have multiple personalities, so to speak, that may do unrighteous things .

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever taken BOTH sides in a debate and still managed to lose.

ROTFL!

Just remember...

"with God, ALL things are possible!"

[inkling]

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> I don't know how AA came up with this:

Sylvia, I don't know where my stuff comes from either. I suspect Hillary_Step has a theory or two involving body cavities, and that's probably where the smart money is.

Sorry if I misrepresented you.

Dave

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Sylvia, I don't know where my stuff comes from either. I suspect Hillary_Step has a theory or two involving body cavities, and that's probably where the smart money is.

Sorry if I misrepresented you.

Dave

Dave, I suspect you and I could ride the river together.

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling

I was just struck my what this reminds me of....

An abused wife defending her alcoholic husband.

I'm sorry if that offends you snowbird, I don't mean it to be cruel... I just feel a bit sorry for you, thats all.

[inkling]

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

*sigh*

NEVER will you find the Israelites making a God-sanctioned unprovoked attack on other nations

Did you ever hear of Jericho? Notice this WT quote:

*** it-2 pp. 34-35 Jericho ***

Firstfruits of Israel’s Conquest. At the end of their 40 years of wandering in the wilderness, the Israelites came to the Plains of Moab. There, opposite Jericho, Moses ascended Mount Nebo and viewed the Promised Land, including Jericho, "the city of the palm trees," and its plain.—Nu 36:13; De 32:49; 34:1-3.

After Moses’ death Joshua sent two spies to Jericho. Concealed by Rahab, they avoided detection and afterward escaped from the city by means of a rope through the window of her house situated atop Jericho’s wall. For three days the two men hid themselves in the nearby mountainous region, after which they forded the Jordan and returned to the Israelite camp.—Jos 2:1-23.

Great must have been the fear of Jericho’s king and its inhabitants as they heard about or witnessed the miraculous damming up of the flooding Jordan, enabling the Israelites to cross on dry ground. Afterward, although the Israelite males underwent circumcision and had to recover from its effects before being in a good position to defend themselves, no one dared to attack them at Gilgal. Unmolested, the Israelites also observed the Passover on the desert plain of Jericho.—Jos 5:1-10.

Later, near Jericho, an angelic prince appeared to Joshua and outlined the procedure for taking the city, which was then tightly shut up on account of the Israelites. Obediently, once a day for six days the Israelite military force went forth, followed by seven priests continually blowing the horns, behind whom were the priests carrying the Ark, and finally the rear guard—all marching around Jericho. But on the seventh day they marched around the city seven times. At the blowing of the horns on the final march around Jericho, the people shouted a great war cry, and the city’s walls began to fall flat.—Jos 5:13–6:20.

The Israelites then rushed into Jericho, devoting its inhabitants and all domestic animals to destruction. But on account of the kindness shown by Rahab in hiding the spies, she and her relatives, safe in her house atop the portion of the wall that had not fallen, were preserved alive. The entire city was burned, only the gold and silver being turned over to Jehovah’s sanctuary. (Jos 6:20-25) However, one Israelite, Achan, stole a gold bar, some silver, and a fine garment and then hid the items under his tent. Thereby he brought death upon himself and his entire family.—Jos 7:20-26.

How exactly did Jericho provoke Israel? Only by living. All Canaanites were to be killed, no surrender, take no prisoners. Jericho should have attacked the Hebrews at Gilgal after they'd had their pee-pees snipped. So, the only Canaanites that survived this unprovoked attack by Israel was Rahab, the whore, and her family. Wow, God is so merciful toward them hookers, she got to be a granny to King David!

***it-2p.727Rahab***

Rahab really was a harlot, or prostitute, in the common sense of the word...

So, eventually the Israelites rejected Jehovah, and they rejected him. A total failure... oh, except for Jesus, right? All's well that ends well.

• snowbird
    snowbird

*double sigh*

NEVER will you find the Israelites making a God-sanctioned unprovoked attack on other nations

Please note the key words in red. Thank you.

Sylvia

• inkling
    inkling
    God-sanctioned unprovoked

Jericho was part of thier PROMISED LAND, right? How can you say God didn't sanction the attack? Didn't he BLESS the attack?

Who exactly made the walls fall down???

[ink]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit