"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character...

by digderidoo 261 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Yes isn't God of the old testament a God of love and understanding toward mankind

Here is a web site that talks about his loving kindness http://www.evilbible.com/

If any of you folks haven't already seen this its worth a look

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Sylvia,

Isn't your god above the 'two wrongs make a right' kind of thinking? I know plenty of us 'pathetic' humans are.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Sylvia:

Could it be because He was dealing with people who were - and still are - jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freaks; vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleansers; misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bullies" ???

Absolutely. That's the whole point. He was invented by such people. Men always make their gods in their own image.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

yes, I would have to agree.

I started editing the my book of bible stories (tearing out innappropriate stories for children) and before you know it, a third of the book was gone.

the god of the old testament or as we say the "Hebrew Scritpures" describes a God that has a serious problem. He is shallow, and violent, and far too obsessed with being worshipped.

A good father doesn't demand that his children worship him, or even demand that they respect him.

A good father naturally earns that respect. He earns their love.

And a good father naturally receives the respect and the love because he is who he is - Their loving father. He does things that proves he cares. He can't help but do so. He wants to do so. A good father is a decent person. A good father protects and nurtures his children.

I don't see that kind of personality in the old testament.

I'm actually getting a little angry just thinking about it. But unlike the god of the old testament I am not going to lose my temper and get violent and vindictive. I am a peaceful man. I have evolved beyond violence, murder, and self glorification.

It feels wonderful to be free.

The Oracle

• Chalam
  • Eyes Open
    Eyes Open
    I have evolved beyond violence, murder, and self glorification.
    It feels wonderful to be free.

Wow. How many people did you murder on Yahweh's behalf before you became free, Oracle?

Just kidding. Just kidding.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    Yes I understand some of your reasoning. I had a lot of troubles when reading the Old Testament and I was a new born infant in faith. It seems that God was almost double minded and I had difficulty reconciling the God of the Old Testament with that of the New.

The WTS love the God of the Old. That is why they choose the name of Jehovah. They like rules and regulations, judgement, wroth, anger etc.

I love the God of the NT. His name is Jesus, and He is love, He is peace, He is just, He is true, He is righteous.

God in the OT is concealed, in the NT He is revealed. Jesus is the same as Yahweh in the OT "I am the Father are one" so as you get to know about Him you will see that they are indeed the same but from a different viewpoint. The God of love, peace, kindness, compassion can be found in the OT too.

So my advise is this, if the OT is giving you trouble then read the NT!

John 14:6 (New International Version)
    Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

So you are going to have to get to know Jesus before you can understand the Father.

My testimony is that I am doing this and I have no problems with reading the OY any more.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
    Stephen

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

...in all fiction:jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevent bully.", says Richard Dawkins in The God Delusion p51. He goes on to say, "Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror".

Would you agree?

Absolutely. I also agree that it takes a lot of faith to believe that the bible is the word of an all loving, just, all knowing god.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

haha!!

Eyes Open... I like a person with a sense of humor!

I noticed you were still a newbie.... welcome to the board!

The Oracle

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Very true statement Funkydereck

Men always make their gods in their own image.

And very important

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit