New Bethel layoffs confirmed - we get our very own "special" pioneers!

by sir82 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Hey is that true , you can only be placed as a GB member unless your one of the anointed just wondering ?

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

Actually, it's amazing how some are able to bounce back up into reality after the shock of leaving Bethel, missionary, or some form of full time service. I do know of some resilient ones who have picked-up quite well while leaving that life. Some have even done better than I, and I have an excellent job considering all things. But, I do know that some (not all) who entered Bethel service were losers to begin with. So when they left, they still were the same losers. I know of some that refused the special pioneer allowance, not wanting to commit themselves to the hour requirement. Let's face it, you can also fail in this world even with a University, or College degree. It's a challenge to leave that Bethel life, but it's really a fools paradise to stay in it. I'm happy that when I was offered that life I turned it down for a special pionneer assignment many years ago. Still, some have had some enjoyment in it, and perhaps some good memories. Why would they have stayed so long?

It's never too late to start over in life.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Blondie,

It would take a brave person to walk away from Bethel at their age.

I was going on 59 when I walked out of Bethel after being there for nearly 40 years. Thanks for the kind compliment.

Oneairhead,

I think we should start a collection for them on JWD and forward it to them each month anonimously. Then when they do get jobs and the Borg cuts them off then we can come out of the closet and see what happens. Best case scenario is they see how those of us who left take care of those thrown away by the borg, worst case they send the money back.

It isn't likely that a die-in-the-wool JW would view outsiders as better than the Society. The average JW cannot perceive of the Society as doing anything wrong. If they do see wrong, they attribute it to God allowing their personal integrity to be tested. Nearly all JWs are eye-witnesses to evil within the organization, but they try to block it out of their minds in order to "stay faithful to Jehovah," as they see it.

Nor are they likely to return the money. Whatever money they get--from any source--is viewed as "a gift from Jehovah." Money from "unbelievers" and "apostates" is generally accepted as something like the spoils from "theocratic warfare" or as a "provision from Jehovah" that he tricked the enemy into providing for them. Abraham returned gifts from unbelievers, but JWs? I never met one who would!

Connaughty,

Actually, it's amazing how some are able to bounce back up into reality after the shock of leaving Bethel, missionary, or some form of full time service. I do know of some resilient ones who have picked-up quite well while leaving that life.

I agree. I've been out of Bethel for 14 years, and in that time I've seen some ex-Bethelites do very well, even starting up their own businesses and employing others. On the other hand, some have been struggling just to make ends meet. It seems to me, much depends upon what sort of persons they were before entering Bethel. Some went into Bethel with no experience in living on their own and they exited Bethel with that lack of experience. Others were doing well in the business world and may have even received a college education before entering Bethel. Quite often, a person's background "in the world" is what has made the difference.

Frank

• steve2
    steve2
    It's never too late to start over in life.

This is probably largely true - although not the full truth on the matter, either. What about the childless couples who "suddenly" realise when the wife is past child-bearing, that it was all a vain, human-generated urgency that led to their decision not to have children?

I know of at least one stern-faced, childless couple who served in the New Zealand branch for years: The wife had a stinking "reputation" for criticising young sisters who had three or more children; she was known to make snide comments about 'these young kinds who have kids and don't know how to raise them'. I could always see the sadness that lay beneath her bitterness, but her bitterness was very off-putting.

• lrkr
    lrkr

There is a lot of bitterness out there. Some have even considered lawsuits. All it will take is the right one to get pissed off enough.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Good example why old ignorant uneducated men should never be in power and control over others , the consequences can be unpleasant.

• moshe
    moshe

This would be a real bummer . I almost went to bethel in the 70's for the big construction work on property conversions, which they just sold for a small fortune- but a little niggling voice told me to NOT send the application back in. Sent away with no furniture, no plasma TV, no kitchen stuff- not even a crock pot to cook their hobo stew in- a real bummer for a couple pushing 40+ or more. The medical insurance is probably not that good either- hope they got all their dental work done before they left, too. A couple making minimum wage would get at least $1200/mo in unemployment benefits in NY- probably closer to $1600 for 26 weeks. It's too bad one of them doesn't refuse to leave and make the WTS evict them by calling the police.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think I could live on 600 american dollars in Mongolia.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Yikes. And good point Honesty. How long will this arrangement go on? WHat if health probs prevent them from 130 hrs pm, will they lose their pay and status? What if they turn 80 and get frail, are they on their own then? This reaks of cruelty to humans! How dumb are they is right, but it's also so sad.

• Connaughty
    Connaughty

Hi Steve2,

So you are all the way down in New Zealand? Wow, I love this site. It's truely sad that the Society is always putting down having a family. I really enjoyed having my family. There was a time that I thought that I wouldn't enjoy having children, but, my son and daughter proved me wrong. I hate those crabby people who don't show any tolerance for children. I do know of some who wish they could have children, but can't due to medical issues. Your right, for those who put that off for Bethel service, have missed out on that priviledge. I remember that comment in Raymond Franz's book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit