Is the Devil really that clever?

by TheHighPriest 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TheHighPriest
    TheHighPriest

People usually turn to God in times of distress and tend to forget about God when things are going a bit better,right?
    So if the devil really wanted to succeed in turning people away from God all he would have to do is make life more comfortable for all of us.
    I mean lets face it if everyone was loaded with money had access to every convenience, if health was not an issue we all had to confront would we look to God for salvation then?
    If we all lived in a paradise and had unlimited time for ourselves and our children would we take time out for God and go door-knocking?
    If you did go door-knocking under such circumstances how could we convince people about the need for God and his paradise kingdom?
    I could go on painting this scenario but I think you get the drift.
    It seems the devil has not thought of this yet and surely with everything that is ascribed to him this would be easy for him to arrange. But maybe the truth is that he is not that powerful, maybe the truth is that we like to have someone to blame when things aren't quiet so swell and maybe we need badness and evil to be able to have a measure on good and goodness.

THP

• logical
    logical

He does all that. Look at the religious leaders for example, they are all living in shameless luxury. But man brings all the evil on other people by himself, his own greed and lust for wealth and power causes misery.

Satan wants death.

Satan is used as a scapegoat to excuse sins, when man is capable all by himself.

• dmouse
    dmouse

The devil is a real dumbass. He hasn't even got the sense to read the bible and find out what God has predicted he will do so he can thwart it by not doing it.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

In my conversations with religious Jews, I have been informed that Satan was a created agent (not just angel) of God, and he's just doing his job. It's not exactly an admirable job, but he carries out God's will in testing and stumbling humans. Notice that in Job, Satan is a member of God's house, and those texts about Satan/Jehovah causing David to take a census? Makes perfect sense if you consider that Satan is working for Jehovah all the while. It was not until Christianity borrowed from pagan dualistic ideas that Satan became a fallen angel and God's ultimate antithesis.

The real Satan is not interested in causing trouble, misleading people by giving them wealth and prosperity, or even himself and any other alleged supernatural entity.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi THP: Cygnus makes good points about how the Devil seems to have transformed from Judaism to Christianity. Satan is not mentioned much in the OT. Although, the OT discussion of Lucifer being a bright covering Cherub over the earth, and then falling away seems to fit the Devil in the Christian concept. (Some, like the Watch Tower believe that the discussion about Lucifer in the OT was really about a Babylonian king. I never really accepted that concept.)

In theory, the Devil, having been "perfect" at one time, make a perfect choice to leave God. So, he knows he is doomed, and like a cornered criminal knowing his fate is to die, will try to cause as much havoc as possible.

In reality, we know little of the Devil other than what is said about him in the Bible. We really have no factual proff of his existence, or his activity, or mentality.

Your point about the Devil making times good so that people are lulled into not thinking about God is a good issue. If we were to accept the Watch Tower theology about the Devil, then it would make sense that the Devil would use 'nice guy' tactics to win over people away from God.

In my former religion, the Catholic Church, Satan simply love to cause misery because he is already defeated. He has nothing better to do with his time. However, most all religions use the Devil as a propaganda tool to scare people toward God. The Devil is used as an excuse for everything bad.

Amazing

• Gopher
    Gopher

In my conversations with those who post religiously here, I have been informed that Fredhall was a created agent of secret conspirators who wish to control this board. It's not exactly an admirable job, but Fredhall carries out that elite group's will in testing and stumbling ex-JW's. Fredhall is a member of the house of apostates.

The real Fredhall is not interested in causing trouble, misleading posters by claiming to be an innocent but foxy kitten, or even himself or any other alleged entity. for emphasis

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The debil can start with me if he decides to adopt your brilliant plan, THP.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey, i'm a busy guy, whattaya want anyway? I do the best i can. The help i get is unreliable too, ya know. Deity gets me to do all the dirty jobs because i think outside the box so to speak. I'm more unconventional so i can do the tougher, more complex jobs. All his other angels are like puppies doing his little errands and slobbering all over him. Sure, he gave me some angels too, but they aren't very innovative. I let deity put on his big show. I don't need all that ego boosting. The bad rep gets a little heavy sometimes, though.

Satan

• celebrate
    celebrate

I heard once that the greatest trick of the devil was to convince man he does not exist, and the second greatest trick was to convince man that he is everywhere!

If there was no devil, who would we blame things on? Ourselves? Taking personal responsibility is very difficult. I liked the reference to Job, but my question is who is the devil in this. Somehow, a god who would kill an entire family, remove all wealth, and cause great sickness just to win a bet is more of a devil than a god!

celebrate

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The devil is as clever as you imagine him to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit