My Very First Post

by leaving-jws 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• leaving-jws
    leaving-jws

Hi everyone! I have been so reluctant to post basically because I am so torn about exposing my personal life. I happen to come across this website by mistake about 6 months ago. I agreed with your opinions of the JWs view on higher education and independent thinking that I found on this website. After that point, I became hooked and starting checking out your posts every week! I found out so much info about the JWs that I never knew about. However, a lot of suspicions were confirmed. Shortly after, I stopped going to the meetings and there was no way I could go out in FS. I cannot teach something I don't believe in!

A lot of you guys feel the same way I do about things and it was weird because I was taught to believe that "apostates" have radical "demonic" ideas.

I was raised "in the truth" from infancy. I never really believed that I could measure up to the lofty standards the slave class presents to their followers. Also, I have always found it hard to believe that people who are not Jehovah Witnesses will die in Armageddon. I remember talking to a JW buddy of mine about a year ago about "worldy people" and the channel of prayer. I always believed that Jehovah listens to all peoples' prayers because he loved the whole world according to the gospel. But a MS buddy told me that under no circumstances Jehovah listens to their prayers. And he is not the only JW that feels that way. But it doesn't make sense! Because the slave class is always having their experiences at the DC that "a worldy person was at home praying for spiritual guidance and a JW showed up at the door."

So Jehovah only listens to ones that pray for JWs to witness to them? Otherwise, you are basically the odd one out if you don't want them to come to your door? It doesn't make sense.

I had a strange one-hour conversation with my die-hard JW mother a few days ago. She basically told me that I she doesn't want me to have any children with my husband because "The End" is so close. She even stated that "the slave class is preparing us for the end that is why they are giving us a special WT." Can you imagine a mother giving up her opportunity to be a grandmother to chase after a pipe dream? Or even discouraging her daughter from having a fulfilled life with the children? It doesn't make sense. I am very disappointed in my mother which is what pushed me to write a post. I guess I just need encouragement. I wish that everyone I love could see things the way I do. The JWs do not have truth. It seems so crystal clear! But no one can see it but me...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    It doesn't make sense.

That sums JWism up rather nicely.

Can you imagine a mother giving up her opportunity to be a grandmother to chase after a pipe dream? Or even discouraging her daughter from having a fulfilled life with the children?

Sadly, yes.

The JWs do not have truth. It seems so crystal clear! But no one can see it but me...

More are waking up every single day.

Welcome to JWD, leaving-jws.

Excellent first post.

Enjoy the forum.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Welcome to the Board

I am glad this forum has helped to open your eyes!

purps

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Welcome to the forum, Leaving JWs! I too, was raised as dub and always had the distinctly uncomfortable sensation that stuff just didn't add up. It was the murder of innocent children at Armageddon for the "sins" of their parents that was my tipping point. Hope you find plenty of company, comfort and reassurance as you transition out.

brunn

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome!

>>I am very disappointed in my mother

Understandably. But consider that she's just doing and suggesting what she thinks is best. She REALLY believes the end is "right around the corner" (just like it's been since the 1870's) and now is not the right time to have children. She's doing what she thinks god wants her to. It's silly to you and me, but not her.

>>The JWs do not have truth. It seems so crystal clear! But no one can see it but me...

I don't know what to say to wake them up. But I hear ya.

Best advice: Try not to push her too hard, or feel too badly toward her. She's a victim, and the grip of mind control is very strong. If you come off like an opposer or an apostate, you may lose access to her forever. Be careful.

Dave

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Welcome. I found this site by accident as well. I received an e-mail from a JW friend. It said that some Bethel speaker had given a talk in an assembly saying that Matthew 24:14 had been fulfilled. Of course, this was supposed to be big news and was supposed to show that that we were really close to the end. I was already inactive and I didn't have any JWs close to me I could talk to about it. Well, I went online to see if I could verify this story and I ended up here. I've been reading the forum almost daily for a year. Stick around. I look forward to hearing more about your story.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome to the forum, leaving-jws!

You are among kindred spirits here. There's a lot to learn about the background and history of this organization we were in, that will help you see clearly that they don't have any special connection to any god whatsoever.

That part about your mom telling you not to have children would be really funny if it weren't so sad and misguided. This was the same type of advice given by the Watchtower Society in the book "Children" in 1941 -- not to marry and have kids, but to concentrate on serving Jehovah (or the organization really) because the end was so near!! And it's been 66 years.

My own parents still believe the end is near, and have thought so for over 50 years each. The WT Society has kept that carrot dangling in front of them for so long. And it obviously was not, and continues to not be, the "truth".

• flipper
    flipper

LEAVING JWS- Welcome to the board friend ! You have a very good , distinct way of expressing yourself and communicating your feelings across. Enjoyed your thoughts. I too was raised in the witnesses from birth , got out 4 years ago at age 44 . So you are not alone friend. Lots of us here have been and still are where you are at, in wanting our witness family members to see through the scam that is the witnesses. Be patient , it will take time. Some relatives may see, some may never see , but at least you have peace in your mind to know that you are a free thinking person who is able to reason on things critically , to have the freedom to choose.

A lot of our witness relatives are " mind controlled " in a " mind controlling " cult . They are programmed like robots as to what to believe , so they don't have to think and use their minds. Remember a television commercial a few years back about using drugs, " A mind is a terrible thing to waste ? " Well, it is the same with the witnesses. They are being addicted to the governing bodies false promises of a paradise , and told they have to hang onto it , or they will die. It is an addiction, just like drug abusers have. It gives a false sense of reality. Just trying to give you a little perspective so you know why your mom thinks like she does. So my wife and I welcome you. Look forward to more of your posts ! Keep your chin up friend, you are among people who really care here ! Peace out to you, Mr. & Mrs. Flipper

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I was raised "in the truth" from infancy.

Boy, are you in for a wild ride! Have fun!!!!

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

WELCOME TO JWD, leaving.....

There is much to learn here. So get ready to read.....a LOT! You will probably alternate between anger, sadness, happiness, laughter, and so many other emotions you never felt before. But, we're here to listen, and comfort. And nag....

btw, wanderlust, I'm following you around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit