My letter to NBC about Watchtower's rebuttal

by Fatfreek 52 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

My apology to all. Moments ago, I sent an addendum to my first two letters to NBC.

Hello again,

I made a statement below that may not be entirely correct when I said, "...they quickly published a rebuttal of sorts on their web site." I apologize for that as it was entirely innocent with no intended malice.

One of our forum members brought to my attention that she had seen that page and video several months ago on the WT site. Another said she had seen it there several years ago.

I derived the date of their posting from the following "Page Info" at that page (mouse right click). Note how it was "Modified" last Thursday.

While I certainly don’t pretend to be an expert in web site creation and editing,I maintain suspicion that based on "Page Info", assuming that page was already in place, something was done to it inside some editor last Thursday following your newscast.

Leonard R. Miller

Thanks, Horrible Life, for your sharp eyes and your kindness.

Len

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

As Paul Harvey says, there may be "The Rest of the Story" involved here.

As a reminder, here is the web page under scrutiny:

The internet, I learned earlier today (being the novice that I am) has a WayBackMachine. It takes snapshots of web sites and stores them so, I suppose, we can learn what they looked like at various points in time.

That archive page shows that there have been 10 snapshots taken since the first one on October of 2005. That doesn't, of course, mean there have been 10 changes. There is also a note on that page, * denotes when site was updated. As you can see, there have been 2 updatings since its first posting in October of that year.

That doesn't mean there has been New Light -- it could have been the result of one single term that was changed or added. To those of you who wish to sniff out exactly which changes they made, I say go for it.

The last snapshot taken (from this service -- Google has one of its own) is revealing. That was on Aug 11, 2007. When you right click on that page, View Page Info, note that it was modified on July 13, 2005. Perhaps that was the actual creation date of that document and also when it made its way to being an official internet web site.

It is somewhat puzzling to me that a modified date goes all the way back to July 13, 2005 since the snapshot service denotes three updating instances on Oct 18, 2005; Oct 03, 2006; and June 06, 2007.

You web gurus can perhaps offer some explanation to that.

In a nutshell here is my conclusion -- and I know you will correct me if I'm wrong. Somehow that website was modified last Thursday, November 22, 2007. Prior to that, the best record that we have shows it was modified when it was created on July 13, 2005.

What exactly was done to that page last Thursday? More important, Why?

Len Miller

• steve2
    steve2

Len,

Good work in trying to get to the bottom of this issue!

Who'd have thought in this day of rapid verification of information via internet that ascertaining the following basic queries could turn out to be so darn difficult

1) When was the Watchtower "defense" video first made and last modified?

2) Does Gail Bethea-Jackson have a doctorate as implied by the Watchtower's use of the profesional title "Dr"?

3) What, if any, connection does Gail Bethea-Jackson have with the Watchtower?

4) When did Gail Bethea-Jackson first learn that the Watchtower Society was quoting her in defense of its policy on child sexual abuse?

Yes, it's prudent to "hold our horses" until these questions are answered. But the longer we wait, the more of a shambles the whole Watchtower defense appears.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Hi Steve,

And thanks.

Each answer that crawls its way into view seems to expose other questions, doesn't it? Your questons 3 and 4 are certainly compelling. Question 4 may come down to a "she said" "they said" issue -- meaning we may never really know the truth there.

As an aside, I took my wife and her sister on a 14 hour shopping excursion today and I'm plumb worn out.

I'd begun last night, but postponed it because of that trip, a letter to one of Arkansas' U.S. senators. This re the "doctor" falsehood/statement on their web site. Hey -- the video has a "copyright 2002" during its last few seconds so it's not like it's a brand new issue. It has been published since July, 2005.

They both share responsibility for such blatant deceit, virtually turning some therapist into the epitome of a specific field of science -- doctor.

She undoubtedly possesses a license that has been issued by the state of Maryland and I feel quite sure that making some bogus claim about credentials beyond that of therapist could jeopardize that status. Further, the Watchtower Corporation possesses tax free status and with that must come certain integrity requirements toward U.S. citizens, their flock, and potential members.

I hope my senator learns of this situation promptly.

Len Miller

• horrible life
    horrible life

Fatfreek, I thought that this woman had a connection to the JW's at first, then I figured that they just grabbed the video from somewhere. With her not ever answering any emails, or calls, for the past 3+ years, I am starting to think she DOES have a connection.

Maybe she got paid under the table? Maybe her mom is a witness? I don't know, but something is very fishy!!!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Hey,

great thread, great letter, great research.

shopping 14 hours......PRICELESS!!!!!!!

purps

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

With her not ever answering any emails, or calls, for the past 3+ years, I am starting to think she DOES have a connection.

What she may also have is a guilty conscience if she realized the "Dr." claim.

Thanks, Purps.

Shopping is probably exhausting for most males. I did get a few naps while the girls were in a few places. The Hogs basketball game on the car radio was entertaining, but at first, scary -- being down 10 to 0 at the beginning. I also was able to digest most of the morning Gazette while sitting in the driver's seat, windows rolled down, with such a beautiful day.

Len

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm a newbie catching up on the stories here.

I'm surprised that OPI [Bethel abbreviation for Office of Public Information] would use the quote "People didn't have the body of knowledge 18 or 20 years ago to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally, if you don't address it. Parents didn't know the seriousness ... and the long-term effects." If anybody in Bethel wasn't aware that sexual abuse of children would cause emotional harm, maybe they should read some issues of TheWatchtower and Awake! magazines, published by the Watchower Bible & Tract Society. Here's three excerpts: 1983 showing the emotional damage caused by incest was know in the US and other countries. 1991 the long lasting effects of child sexual abuse are clearly documented. And a lengthy quote from 1993 which would cause any thinking person to realize without doubt that child sexual abuse should never be minimized.

*** w83 10/1 p. 27 Help for the Victims of Incest ***

"FOR most of her life Rachel has been ridden with guilt, convinced of her own worthlessness, and trapped in a sense of hopeless isolation." What could so blemish the life of a British housewife and mother?

A 16-year-old girl from California said: "I now have a pain deep in my heart that will never go away, and it hurts, truly hurts." What could cause her such anguish?

The answer in both cases is the same: incest. Both of these women were sexually abused by their fathers when they were children. Unhappily, there are many like them. Studies in the United States suggest that one in five girls and one in ten boys suffer sexual molestation before they grow up. In most cases, the crime is committed by someone the young victim knows, and in many cases it is incestuous. Reports from other countries tell a similar story.

***g9110/8p.3TheInnocentVictimsofChildAbuse***

"I’M NEAR 40 now," says Eilene. "And even though my problem is over 30 years old, it still haunts me. The anger, the guilt, the problems in my marriage! People try to understand, but they just can’t." Eilene’s problem? She is a victim of childhood sexual abuse, and for her the effects have proved to be long lasting.

Eilene is far from alone. Surveys indicate that an alarming number of women—and men—have suffered such mistreatment. Far from being a rare act of deviant behavior, then, childhood sexual abuse is a widespread affliction, one that cuts across all social, economic, religious, and racial lines.

***g937/22pp.6-7AbusiveParents—TheUltimateStressors***

Sexual

Abuse

According to one estimate, 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 7 boys have been forced into a sexual experience by the time they are 18 years old. Most of these children suffer in silence. "Like soldiers missing in action," notes the book TheChildinCrisis, "they remain lost for years in a private jungle of fear and guilt."

"How I hated my father for abusing me and how guilty I felt for hating him," says Louise. "I felt such shame because a child is supposed to love her parents and I didn’t all the time." Such perplexing feelings are understandable when a child’s primary protector turns into a perpetrator. Beverly Engel asks in TheRighttoInnocence: "How can we acknowledge that our own parent, someone who was supposed to love and care for us, could care so little about us?"

Sexual abuse can warp a child’s entire view of life. "Every adult who was molested as a child brings from his or her childhood pervasive feelings of being hopelessly inadequate, worthless, and genuinely bad," writes Dr. Susan Forward.

It

Doesn’tGoAway

"It is not just the child’s body that is abused or neglected," writes researcher Linda T. Sanford. "Troubled families mess with a child’s mind." When a child is abused, either emotionally, physically, or sexually, he or she may grow up feeling unlovable and worthless.

Jason, mentioned earlier, had such low self-esteem as an adult that he was declared a suicide risk. Needlessly putting himself in life-threatening situations, he assessed his life as his mother had taught him: ‘You should never have been born.’

Reflecting on the effects of being physically abused as a child, Joe says: "It just doesn’t go away because you move out or get married. I’m always afraid of something, and I hate myself for it." The tension of the physically abusive household causes many children to grow up with negative expectations and rigid defenses that imprison rather than protect.

For Connie, incest created a distorted self-image that solidified in her adulthood: "I still think a lot of the time that people can look right inside me and see how disgusting I am."

All forms of abuse teach poisonous lessons that may become deeply entrenched by the time of adulthood. True, what is learned can be unlearned. Countless survivors who have recovered from childhood abuse testify to that fact. But how much better if parents realize that from the time of their child’s birth, they are shaping much of his concept of himself and the world. A child’s physical and emotional welfare is largely in his parents’ hands.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Thanks Billy When I first read Rachel, I thought Biblical Rachel. LOL I don't think they even read what the others have written. And the GB, most of them have never had children, and don't know what love is, let alone how a child would feel, or even how a Parent would feel, if this happened to their child.

Something that I have been wanting to say, and somebody has probably beaten me to it, but...

A grown woman, with a brilliant mind, getting raped, we have known for centuries, has trouble coping. How can this woman, say this? How can the WT be this stupid? These are children. Who could not anticipate problems, 100 years ago?

• avengers
    avengers

Good job, good job, good job!

I don't think, 18 or 20 years ago, we knew much of anything about

pedophiles.

I thought it was God's Org. Oh well. Don't let the new light hit you on the way out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit