My letter to NBC about Watchtower's rebuttal

by Fatfreek 52 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

There is only one segment of society that I know of that has ever been stupid enough to even attempt to mount a defense for not knowing what the entire world clearly knows, and has known for 1000's of years.

And who would that be, Restrangled? (wink, wink) If it weren't for children being at the receiving end of this developing story it would be some dark comedy, indeed.

BlueViceroy: I couldn't believe someone would actually say that stuff out loud where people could hear.

I hope that some of her contemporaries, her peers, in the light of cameras from some major news medium, will be shown this video, hear what she says and, point by point, tear her apart.

VM44: Is she a Witness?

Excellent question. My non-JW son and I were on the phone moments ago. He wondered at what looks like some publication over her right shoulder, with what appears to be "Family" at the top. Could that be the Watchtower's "Family Happiness" publication?

He also spotted "copyright 2002" at the end of the video. Certainly old stuff they dragged off their dusty shelves.

Len Miller

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Excellent sleuthing, VM44. Certainly, that list of credentials would have mentioned "doctor" or "doctorate" somewhere. I'm holding the phone on that one, however. The Society wouldn't make such a ludicrous claim without backup -- or would they?

Is that list the very latest?

Len

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Fatfreek,

I found her biography at http://www.pathfinderproject.org/pathfoudinfo.htm.

The ONLY reference to her as a "Dr." is to be found on that JW-MEDIA webpage, or on pages that derive their material from it.

The indications are that she is a highly trained certified social worker, but not a holder of a doctorate or medical degree.

--VM44

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Excellent letter Len Miller.

I hope we can keep this story on the front burner as long as possible.

Great work.

The Oracle

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Thanks, Oracle.

Here's an issue I thought we'd better address since it was brought up as my son was being studied with tonight. Is this a rebuttal page because of recent events -- the NBC piece, or what? Well, let's see -- the NBC piece was on the 21st, was it not?

The Watchtower page, official of course, with the Bethea video is dated on the 22nd if I've deduced correctly. You web page gurus (I'm not one), please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

To verify, right click on that page, then click "info", it brings up the following window which I captured as follows:

Again, note the "modified" date.

Also, to those who are interested:
    description: Who Jehovah's Witnesses are, what they bring to the community, and how they worship. Up-to-date information and statistics from the Office of Public Information of Jehovah's Witnesses.

keywords: jehovah's witnesses, child abuse, pedophiles, jehovah, witness, watchtower, christian, news releases, press releases, human rights, religious freedom, official

VM44: I found her biography at http://www.pathfinderproject.org/pathfoudinfo.htm.

The ONLY reference to her as a "Dr." is to be found on that JW-MEDIA webpage, or on pages that derive their material from it.

Thanks for the link. I also tried that right click, info, when I went there and here's what it looks like:

That date, July 27, 2001, makes me somewhat uneasy. Could she have received her doctorate between then and now?

Len Miller

• steve2
    steve2
    She is currently the Director of a private practice in Maryland specializing in victims of abuse as well as adolescent issues. She is a consultant to Prince George’s County Social Services Sexual Abuse Unit, and was consultant to Prince George's Family Preservation Unit; The Family Connection until its closing in 1999. She was also the organizer of the Maryland Chapter for APSAC, (American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children).

This woman's views are one thing I suppose. However, the other thing is: Does she know the Watchtower has quoted her in defense of its reactionary policy on child abuse? If she could see how her words have been used, what would she say? "Right on! Way to go!" or "Uh-Oh. Let me disappear between a crack in the earth". I think she would think the latter.

Anyone out there know how to contact this woman and find out if she knows how her words are being used?

BTW, I agree with earlier posters: On the basis of her mini-biography, she does not appear to have a doctoral degree or equivalent - unless she has been awarded an honorary degree from a tertiary institution. We need to stay tuned.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Steve,

Yesterday, 11/27, I mailed a hard-copy letter to her at the following address and asked a simple question as to when the video was produced. I don't expect a reply.

Dr. Gail Bethea-Jackson
    6178 Oxon Hill Road,
    Suite 306
    Oxon Hill, MD, 20745

Dr. Bethea-Jackson:

As I watch the video, it appears to my untrained eye that it may be quite old. Would you be so kind as to confirm approximately when this video was done?

Len Miller

• VM44
    VM44

I put in "Bethea-Jackson" in the search box at Dissertation-Express, which maintains a catalog of Ph.D dissertations done in North-America.

http://www.umi.com/products_umi/dissertations/disexpress.shtml

Zero results were returned.

Gail Bethea-Jackson does not, as far as I have seen, claim to be a Doctor. Only the Watchtower's JW-MEDIA site has given her that title.

An honest mistake perhaps? Or an attempt to give her words in the video more credibility?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

btw, Dissertation Express also lists no dissertation on file for Firpo Carr, who DOES claim to have a Ph.D!

--VM44

• besty
    besty

GBJ is also listed here http://mscsw.org/communityworks.html

I have emailed Ellen on the contact list but it does specifically state on the website they don't hold contact details for non-members, which is the case for GBJ.

Hi Ellen

REF Gail Bethea Jackson

I note Gail is listed on your website http://mscsw.org/ - I'm interested in contacting her for more details about her views on paedophilia, which are being used by Jehovahs Witnesses in some sort of official apologetic manner to excuse their current troubles in this regard. See http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21917798/ dated 21st November 2007

http://www.jw-media.org/vnr/2122827332/717263.htm

For your convenience I have pasted a transcript as captured from the same website

Dr. Bethea-Jackson:

I don't think, 18 or 20 years ago, we knew much of anything about pedophiles. It wasn't really looked at as a criminal matter. We didn't publicize it as being an act that needed some criminal intervention, so to speak. We didn't look at it … or it wasn't … people didn't have the body of knowledge 18 or 20 years ago to say that this is something that will harm your child emotionally, if you don't address it. Parents didn't know the seriousness, 18 or 20 years ago, and the long-term effects. And as people document the work that they've done, some successes and their failures, that some of that early work did not get to the public. I mean, it was in some New England journal somewhere. But certainly it was in the process of being looked at and studied. That information was not released. We weren't taught that in school. I went to one of the most prestigious social-work schools, at that time, in the country and in all of my studying, we didn't have a course in child abuse .

Evidently this interview was created some time back and I'd like her current opinion on this matter. She is on the record here as saying that 20 years ago the sexual victimisation of children was unknown, not viewed as criminal, information wasn't widely available, and she hadn't come across it as a subject during her 'prestigious' education.

I find all that hard to believe to be honest and would welcome your help in contacting Gail to ascertain her current professional opinion.

--
    Best Regards

Paul Morrison
    (a concerned parent and former Jehovahs Witness)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit