Graves of loved ones - JWs allowed to visit?

by Inquisitor 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

This is not a question about attending funerals.

Is it permissible for JWs to visit the graves of their loved ones if they merely want a moment's reflection on the departed?

Is it permissible for JWs to do this on the anniversary of the death?

I'm speaking of just visiting these places to reflect, not to place flowers or food or utter a prayer.

INQ

• Honesty
    Honesty

I'm not really sure.

My 'anointed' SIL buried my FIL's (her dad) ashes in her back yard under some rose bushes.

She thought he would make good fertilizer for her roses.

I would venture to say she visits when she is getting roses to place on her Dining Room table.

I haven't seen her lately because she believes that I am of the evil slave class.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    She thought he would make good fertilizer for her roses.

Gee... how much love was lost when he was alive?

INQ

• Gopher
    Gopher

I never heard it talked AGAINST by the organization. However, I never heard of JW's going to go do that.

I believe it's a personal choice for the dubs. (Maybe they went and didn't make a big deal, or else they were just "too busy" in dub and other personal activities to go back.)

Perhaps some would view it as undue grieving, lack of faith or something.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    would venture to say she visits when she is getting roses to place on her Dining Room table.

Not quite the kind of forthright "visit" I was referring to. But I like the humour!

INQ

• Honesty
    Honesty

She is a 3rd generation JW.

Once the cult gets past the 2nd generation, there is no love for anyone.

It is all about doing enough for Jehovah so they might make it into the New System.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's freaky, really freaky.

I suppose that is because I used to go down to my dock every weekday morning when I lived in Central Florida and use a frog gig to harvest needle-nosed gar as they schooled past.

I would collect 5-10 and fertilize my roses, azaleas, palms, banana, orange and grapefruit tress with them.

I never dreamed of using a family member as fertilizer.

Oh well, at least she gets to enjoy the pretty roses.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    I never heard it talked AGAINST by the organization. However, I never heard of JW's going to go do that. I believe it's a personal choice for the dubs. - Gopher

So you think a JW could very well get away with it, barring a whiney protest about "spiritual stumbling" from a fellow Witness?

Do you think most Witnesses would have readily associated visiting the graves (no matter what the aim) as demonstrating belief in the immortal soul? Perhaps this is why they have avoided exercising this recent right to a personal decision on a host of matters the WTS does not want to get sued for.

INQ

• watson
    watson
    It is all about doing enough for Jehovah so they might make it into the New System.

I see what you are saying, but I view this a little differently. After the 2nd generation, I think with most, it's about the "tradition/culture." Just like any other family religion.

• watson
    watson

and yes....JWs are "allowed" to visit the graves of their loved ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit