Lowly publishers can now attend international conventions

by unbeliever 19 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I don't know if this has been posted yet but my mom told me that there was a letter from Crooklyn that publishers can now attend international conventions. Before only the pioneers, elders, etc could attend. She said that there was a tremendous amount of excitement among the publishers that they now have the "privilege" of attending. She also said that her elder husband had been asked by half the lowly publishers for applications to attend.

• Odrade
    Odrade

See, I never got this at all. Aren't ALL the conventions "open to the public?" So what's to prevent anyone from traveling to some exotic convention site and attending? Even us? It always cracked me up that there was all this application bullcrappy, and "special privileges" to attend. Hahaha!

I'll bet they were excited.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have a question as I never had the opportunity to attend an international convention. Are these conventions actually closed to the public? Do they actually check Pioneers and Elders credentials at the door? Is the public actually allowed to walk in off the street to attend?

• Gopher
    Gopher

These are special international conventions where the WTS wants to generate extra publicity.

But they control the number of foreigners invited so as to not overcrowd the convention site. So they're invitation-only as far as foreign JW's are concerned.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

But, I repeat--do they actually check credentials at the door? what is to stop a JW from attending these if they are not approved to go?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Junction,

I asked my mom that and she said they were open to the public but to be able to travel with the other dubs you have to be approved. I guess the society makes the travel arrangements. She said to go for a week the minimum cost was $2500 per person and site seeing would be very limited. WTF???

• R.F.
    R.F.
    She said that there was a tremendous amount of excitement among the publishers that they now have the "privilege" of attending. She also said that her elder husband had been asked by half the lowly publishers for applications to attend.

I could be overanalyzing, but I see this as a strategy by the WTS to give the Dubs a bit of excitement in there lives. There hasn't been much of anything "thrilling" in Dubland lately.

R.F.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yeah, the sight-seeing is limited because they spend their spare time shuttling them around to see the branch and/or local kingdumb halls. My parents went to the Chile/Argentina one, (and Poland and a couple others,) and came back with almost zero pictures of sites, but they sure had a lot of pictures of people nobody knew, and buildings with no windows in them...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!..Back in the Day..Any JW could go to an International Assembly..There was a time you needed an Invitation???..LOL!!..Now anyone can go,again?..Attendance must be slipping.....Get out the shovel and bring your Dead Grandma!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• watson
    watson

It caught me off guard as I hadn't attended a meeting in some time. At the start of the WT, on Sunday, the conductor pronounced that they had to go through the WT quickly as they had an announcement to read!!!! There was electricity in the air. I couldn't wait to hear what was coming......then he read the letter about how anyone can apply to attend the international convention in 2009..what a let down. I was hoping for something much more exciting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit