Tomorrow will be one of the PROUDEST days of my life.

by nicolaou 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Iv'e been posting here a long time but here's something I never shared before . . I'm still a Window Cleaner. There's no shame in honest, hard work, it's paid the bills and supported my family for twenty years . . . . but still.

I'm not going to rant at the 'Society' because they don't own my anger anymore but my work is certainly a legacy of my cult past. At 43 I find myself coming very late into the world of further education and career training, but that's okay because I know I've achieved something of real value.

One of the first topics I posted here over six and half years ago reflected how desperate I felt back then. I said "The future looks bleak. I am sure I will become cut-off from my mother, brother and sisters. My wife’s family will disown me and I will become known as the guy who split the family."

Well it didn't happen. I just wanted to encorage anyone who now stands where I was back than. It can be done, you can be free! I managed to extract my wife and three young children from the cult and we are now are a happy and close knit family. Even our parents and siblings are at least tolerant and even a bit more sociable (although I know there are no guarantees and things can change with a single Study Article).

I got us out and although I am proud of this achievement it pales compared to what is happening tomorrow.

My son, who last went to the Kingdom Hall when he was 12 is leaving home to start his degree at University. I am choking with pride even as I type this. Although my stomach is in knots and I know I won't sleep from worry, my heart and chest are bursting with pure pride.

My boy will not clean windows. My boy has left that obscene, mind destroying religion behind without even a glance over his shoulder. He's going to enjoy the life he deserves.

I'm sitting here crying with happiness. Hope this all makes sense.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

what a great post!!

I have a little 6 month old and it'll be a while before I have the joy of seeing her pursue her dreams, but I share your excitement in seeing our kids do whatever they want to do without fear-

I'm so happy for you!!

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Beautiful Nicolau.

I am happy you were able to keep your family together and grow together. And that the next generation will be better off for your choices. Definitely something to be proud of.

tall penguin

• Gopher
    Gopher

Congrats, Nicolau. You did great in helping your family emerge to a better life. Hopefully your son will appreciate and fully use this opportunity.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Way to go nicolaou & Son !!

I'm SO happy for you both. Your words also give me hope. Please tell your son I wish him much success. (If he knows about JWD that is.)

Open Mind

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your post is not only celebratory, it is also encouraging for us a few years behind you.
    Grrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaaatttttttt going, good job.

Thanks for sharing your joys and successes.

• marmot
    marmot

Good on ya. I always wonder what my Dad would have been capable of. He once confided in me that he would have like to go to University to become an engineer.

Instead he pioneered, washed windows, had four kids and lived most of his life in debt 'cause "Armageddon was just around the bend."

Funny, I remember starting my first day of kindergarten way back in 1988 and when I asked about the high-schoolers next door my mom told me not to worry about that "because the new system will be here before you're in high school."

Graduated almost a decade ago now...

• jambon1
    jambon1

I have read your posts and now I say before own selfish ambitions for my family; Enjoy your moment. Keep us posted as to how it all went!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Congratulations Nick for your son, as you said there is absolutely nothing wrong in any honest work whether menial or not but education ultimately means a better income and more respect in society.

It's great that with little loss you got your family out of the cult's clutches, all the manipulation and exploitation that goes on there. Your relatives seem to be among the more reasonable dubs.

• JK666
    JK666

Nic,

Congratulations on you son entering college!

Just a thought - 43 is the new 30 - you can still go back to school. I started after leaving the Lie, and I was 45. Two degrees later, I think it was the best thing I ever did.

Good luck,

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit